coyote hunting in san diego

bohunter3

Reaction score
Id like to start hunting coyotes near my house (Cleveland Nat'l Forest) I've seen them here too, with no hunting pressure. I have an AR-15/.223 rifle and some mouth calls. Do I need an electronic caller? Or A decoy?
I dont want to waste time or money, so if I really need these things, I'll get them. What would youe recomend that not cheap junk or the most expensive. I'm willing to purchase the right equipment, but the really expensive stuff will have to wait to see if i get into it.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Ditto Smallblockfuelie in that the distress mouth calls will work fine and is really all you need, especially for starting out...

HOWEVER, another (almost mandatory/lol) handy tool is a Dakota Yote Super Mouse Squeaker from "AllPredatorCalls.Com". Do NOT under estimate these bulbs. I've worked coyotes in from over 500 yards, so the yotes can hear them further than most folks think or read about. I lost count of the coyotes our group has called in with these EXCLUSIVELY, and they are easy to use. Just squeeze it, repeatedly for approx 5 minutes or more. I will often either start out or finish off a stand with one...

With that said... IF you want to add a little more to the tool box, I would highly recomend the Primos (w/Randy Anderson) "Little Dog" howler. Buy the package with the dvd with it. It will explain howling technics. You can do a simple greating or female invitational howl, wait a couple minutes and then follow up with some puppy yipes (again, on the little dog). It comes with a white and green horn, with the white one being my favorite and is louder. It is one of, if not thee most easiest mouth howlers of all to use. Turners carrys them as does ALLPredatorCalls.

Howling & puppy yipes work YEAR ROUND, and is another great tool when the distress rabbit calls do not work. It often pisses the other yotes off and they come in wanting to kick somethings butt. Cool and Exciting :)

Let us know how you do, And Happy Yote Hunting

Frank

savage99

Reaction score
Does Cleveland National Forest allow evil black rifles?

With all the stupid rules regarding Ar-15's, I've stopped using mine on public land.

Nathan

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Bohunter3, you also have bobcats and gray fox in that area not to mention lions. hand calls works fine, but you must also remember the animals are coming to the sorce of the sound and that's YOU. That's where an e-caller comes in handy, just something to think about. Here kitty, kitty, kitty lol

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
OHHHH, onecoyote makes an excellent point about the mt lions.

Not too long ago, SD had the highest cougar attack on humans in the state. Can't recall the name of the area. Anyway, you are the bait so be carefull.

Along with a few others, I too had first hand experiece calling in a cougar; nealry into my lap. It does and can happen. Always good to have a friend watch your backside whenever possible.

All The Best

Frank

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
If all else fail's and you have turkey decoys use them (unless its turkey season) I've been able to call in yotes in a heavily hunted area with the turkey decoys.use the turkey call aggressively, good luck

Rattler

Reaction score
Make sure your will is up to date. Ha! Before I retired from the Navy I hunted SD County extensively(over 20 years) for turkey, deer, coyotes and quail...and every year I saw more BIG CAT tracks. In 2002 in Dripping Springs (CNF) I actually saw more cat tracks than deer tracks-TRUTH-!!! Trust your instincts and keep your head on a slow moving swivel. If you hear "funny" sounds like whistles or grunts be aware. IN MOST AREAS I would recommend not setting up in the forest brush, but in the open like a rock pile (perfect) in a meadow or creek bottom with lots of open space and 360 visibility. This not only helps keep you off the menu but gives you more shot opportunities. Make sure you know what's behind your target. I have had plenty tree huggers and dog walkers prance through many of my set-ups out there. Go early and when it's cold, hardly anyone else out there will. God I love Nevada!

bohunter3

Reaction score
Well ,
I went out hunting for coyotes today(010106). I purchased Randy Andersons DVD and little howler call, as well as some distress calls I already had. I wasnt planning on hunting, then I noticed it was such a nice day with very little wind. So I walked out to the area I know has coyotes. But no luck. I was out for over two hours in the area, Got some neighborhood dogs worked up, but nothing else. The wind was right too. Im sure I did things right Good wind, visability, but nothing. I wonder if the pending rain coming in kept them away? I was worried about the ravens, everytime I did a distress call they really acted up and flew by. It was about 2pm-4pm when I was out there. I know the coyotes are out there, and I think I was set up about 500 yards from where Ive seen them howling. I can see there turds all around the area. Any advise?

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
N E V E R G I V E U P.... is the best advice I have... PERSEVERANCE !

bohunter3, going by what you're saying, you are doing GREAT... The time of day and weather was PERFECT... Probably just bad luck and/or they just weren't within hearing range is my guess.

Just a few other tid bits.... Be in an elevated position if possible; sit in the shade with the sun at your back; NO noise or Movement; Wear dark clothing or Camo, a hat and camo FACE NETTING. Cammo gloves is also a good idea. Make sure the truck is well hidden; close the doors quietlly; no smoking; no after shave lotion or other smelly stuff;

If you're on a stand that you really like/are very comfortable with, stay for 30-35 minutes. Many predator hunters will say 10 or 15 minutes is plenty and most of the time it is. But they are also missing a lot of yotes by leaving early. We've killed enough late ones to know this is true. Their reasoning is the more stands the more odds. But not necessarily. You may be leaving a good stand for a bad one and missing out on the only yote's you would have gotten.

Last advice I have is be sure to buy a "Dakota Yote Super Squeaker" from "AllPredatorCalls.com"... You'll be glad you did! Use at beginning or end of your stand for 5 - 10 minutes.

Hang in there... It WILL come :)
Frank

Reaction score
All the guys are giving you some very good advice. Also, just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't there. Regarding the chance of rain, a fall in barometric pressure usually means a better response from the predartors.

Predator calling is a tricky business. The worst part of it is never knowing for sure why you didn't seem to call anything in. There are so many reasons for a dry stand. For instance.... no predators around, animals not hungry, they made you from a distance, you were winded, and on and on.

My two cents of advice (worth evry bit you paid for it) is to work the instincts of the predators. Learn as much as you can about their habits and do what is necessary (with calls, scents and home-made decoys) to make them act instinctively to come to the call. Curiosity sounds and different tones made with mouth calls seem to work very well because every hunter calls slightly differently. Howlers are absolutely great because they do a whole lot more than locate coyotes, they challenge them. Don't be discouraged if they don't howl back. They will most likely be moving in to see who is encroaching on their hunting grounds. Many times they will howl back from all directions and never come in. Don't over-howl or over-call. Give the animals a chance to respond. I usually give a high pitched howl, then I wait for five minutes or so and use a squeeker or a mouth call (not too loud) for about 10-seconds. Stay as still as you can and scan the area very slowly. Make sure to camo your body, hands, face and rifle.

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
RATTLER, I live a few miles from dripping springs and you are right about the cats but as much as I've called I haven't called one in that I know of. Did you hunt the Laguna rec area ? I've had hikers and Mt bikers all trying to find the "injured" animal. it's a hoot ! Some days I have more fun playing with the hikers emotions than hunting. BOHUNTER3, even though you think you did everything right theres always the unknown to contend with, did you set up facing into the wind and watched you're downwind side ? did you get any response to your call's ? were the yote's actually still within earshot or had they crapped earlier and they were miles away hunting ? Last week I set up and nothing came in or so I thought, on the way out there were yote track's in my track's , they had circled far enough downwind that I couldn't see them and busted me, Trust me the day you set up and take your first animal will be exellerating and worth the wait, good hunting.

Rattler

Reaction score
Dirtpoor,

If you go to the D.S. Campground and upon passing the sign-in booth HANG a LEFT (I know, I know..the toad thing, ropes...just do it) stay in the creek bed (Arroyo)and stay left until you get to where it narrows. Continue down the creekbed about 1/2 - 3/4 a mile before you get to where Wild Horse Canyon runs into the creek. A couple of bends down that creek bed, about 10-12 feet up, RIGHT in the corner on your RIGHT side...on the base of the cliff face... is a cougar's den. If you are looking you'll find it, easy. The opening is about 6 feet wide and 3 feet high... I found it in 1997. It was active then, and unless it caved in (doubtful) it could still be in use. I never saw the lions, BUT, there were fresh tracks and to be honest we were locked and loaded for deer, but scanning the rim for a cat attack every time we went through there. It gets real creepy if you are alone, too. We found a 3x3 muley carcass (horns-the works) on a rockpile 200 yards further down the creek. Cat tracks everywhere!!! I even sent this data to the SD Union-Tribune reporter who did an article on mountain lions in the area...never got a response...maybe she got eaten...probably chickened out. I wouldn't go un-armed.

Rattler

Reaction score
Clarification: I mean the hiker/hunter sign-in booth at the very end of paved road (The turnaround circle) past all the campsites, about 250 yards off of HWY 79.

Rattler

Reaction score
Brother,
I have had more hunts screwed up by AZZ-packers, dog-walkers, tree-huggers, vegans, hippies, etc. in the CNF since 1977 than I can recall. Especially while turkey hunting...but, those ones are vivid and still sting. AND yes I have scared the living crap out of them on several occasions. In this one GREAT turkey spot (A place I refer to as "Rip Van Winkles' Woods"), fully cammoed-ghillie, face paint, cammoed shotgun-the WORKS...I scared the love of God out of two guys out for a romantic stroll. It was as if I were a tree that "came to life". All I said to them was, "Gentlemen". 2 guys leaping and clutching there bossoms-PRICELESS!

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
My brother was bowhunting in N.Y. in an area that had thick leaves on the ground ..full camo.. laid down and went to sleep, meanwhile another bohunter sneaks along and decides to take a break about 10 ft from my brother, my brother wakes up and neither knows the other one was there, my brother sits up and both he and the other hunter yelled and rolled away from each other scared crapless !

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Rattler, I know right where that cave is , it was still active 2 yrs ago , a lion and her cub challenged a bunch of girl scouts near there according to the campground manager.

socalgunrep21

Reaction score
Bohunter,
I live in San Diego as well, actually in Alpine. I just got the new FoxPro digital caller and "Jack in the Box" decoy. You're right, calls and decoys are pricy, I'm just glad I can write them off for product field testing.
I'm ready to hunt coyotes down here, maybe we can get together and share some spots and information.
I hunted turkey with "Dirtpoor" a couple years ago, we could not get any turkeys to play, so we turned on his caller and within 5 minutes we had 2 coyotes on us. They did not come in close enough, we were armed with shotguns.
E-mail me and let me know when you are heading out again.
Bryan
bpalle@bigrocksports.com

deadducks

Reaction score
rattler,

Is that the turkey place you told me about? If so, I am going to hit it hard this year and try and get my first gobbler. Haven't been down there in a while.

Hope all is well in Nv.

Dan

Top Bottom