Coyote Killed my buddies dog

Deerhunter14

Reaction score
A couple days ago 4 coyotes attacked my friends dogs and killed one of them. Its legal to shoot where the house is so im going out there sometime next week and gonna try to whack a couple. My only issue is... ive never hunted coyotes before. Any tips?

Thanks

ranchwife

Reaction score
Sic our cows on them! We had about 15 cows kill a coyote earlier this spring. Modocer saw a bunch of cows gathered around and went over to investigate and saw a coyote the cows had destroyed! I guess they had had enough of him!

Sorry about your friend's dog - one of the many reasons why I hate coyotes! Good luck reducing their numbers. I'm sure some of the guys on this board will give you some good help with your question.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
You know I grew up with a buddy that ran grayhounds and wolfhounds on yotes. That could reduce the numbers pretty quick. My weimaraner was pretty good at killing them also. 2 or three times a year he would kill one out in the vineyard and drag it up to the back porch.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Get your self a closed reed predator call...easier to learn than open reed. Practice a little.
Try and see if you can track the yotes and see which direction they are coming from. Set up in that area with the wind in your face, or atleast a cross wind. Find a good place to sit where you are hidden and have a good vantage point and start off calling softly for about 10-15 seconds...just in case they are close by you don't want to scare them by calling too loud and you want the call outta mouth and ready if they come fast. You'll probably want to call on and off for about 15 mins. If nothin comes move to another spot and try again.
If you really want to up your chances check the regs for your area, voltage of the hand held light you can use, and try callin em at night.

Good luck!

augnmike

Reaction score
Mike has given you good advice. I would also not hesitate to use a pup in distress sound this time of year, especially in light of the fact that they just killed another dog. You might want to find out if any of the experienced guys here live near you and would be willing to come out with you. Nothing worse than making rookie mistakes and educating coyote that has killed the family pet.

wtnhunt

Reaction score
Too bad about the dog. Have managed to drop a few out the back door here. Good advice above, would also try the pup distress. Good luck.

Deerhunter14

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the tips guys, I appreciate it. Just one more question. Which is better, early morning or late evening?

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deerhunter14 @ May 30 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks alot for the tips guys, I appreciate it. Just one more question. Which is better, early morning or late evening?[/b]
Either works well...I personally like early morns.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
If you really want to kill that group, take a dog with you calling and tie him up close to you. If he barks when you call, so much the better. In fact if he barks you may not need to call. Take a friend, and at least one of you pack a shotgun as well as a rifle or two. I often pack a 12 guage with #4 buck and a rifle but a buddy to spread the load helps. Always play the wind. This might mean hunting morning early, mid morning or late depending on how you can access the property. I prefer mornings but wind always trumps the time of day. The other thing, if one comes in try to kill it with just a single shot and keep calling. Lots of times the second or third etc... coyotes will come in, but not if you are are celebrating getting the first.

Top Bottom