Coyote Pelts

Hager

Reaction score
I've heard you all talking about calling coyotes in the summer time months.  Back home in the midwest we only call between the months of Sept and March in order to to get the prime winter pelts.  Are the Coyotes out in So Cal even worth puting on the stretchers or do you all just do the predator control thing.
Any help is appreciated.  

songdog

Reaction score
Between late November and the end of February, the pelts in SoCal are actually pretty nice.  If you get up into some of the higher elevations above 5-6000' they can get really nice.  The summer months are pretty much depredation and practice...

(Edited by songdog at 10:20 am on June 26, 2002)

limit7

Reaction score
Songdog, did you shoot all those yotes from your window?  Those are some great pelts.  I would love to see them.  

songdog

Reaction score
These came from all over SoCal.  Some Mt. Laguna in San Diego, some from Wister, some from up here in Santa Clarita...

Dakota

Reaction score
Do you sell your pelts Songdog?  I heard yote pelts were going for around $25.  I'm thinking I could pay for some ammo with a little work, rather than feeding the ravens.

songdog

Reaction score
Sometimes I sell them.  Unless you have a bundle of them (like in the pic) it's not really worth the couple here and there.  $25 is about tops for anything around here and that can be $15 pretty easily.  

In the past, I've just taken mine and tossed them in with a trapper buddies and he paid me for them when he sold his.

The bundle in the pic was enough to buy a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .22-250 a few years back.  Lots of work and if I'd just saved the gas money I probably could have bought two of the same rifle :wink-yellow:

I think that this year I'm going to go for a big coyote blanket.

Dakota

Reaction score
I will contribute!  The yotes around my house are getting brazen.  Have walked outside with them in my driveway and they just look at me.  I am waiting for cold weather to harvest a few.  It gets mighty cold up here in the hills during winter.  They should have a nice prime pelt to add to your blanket.

Hager

Reaction score
Hey song dog?  Do those coyotes from the desert eventually get prime fur too?
It doesn't seem like they would need a good thick coat with all that heat.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Hager- Welcome to the board....I shoot the majority of my yotes in the desert. In the coldest months(Dec. Jan. Feb) they have pretty decent pelts. Probably not "prime" by fur industry standards, but they look plenty nice to me.                  Scott

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Hager,

Remember, like most animals, coyotes get the "prime" pelts not because of the cold, but because of the days getting shorter (evolution at work again).  The same applies to horses and other animals.  Granted the fine "down" (I forget the correct name) hairs may not be as abundant or thick, but the coats get heavy and full regardless of where they're located...

songdog

Reaction score
Ironically, the nicest pelts from around SoCal seem to come from out in the desert (Wister specifically from my experience).  It sure gets hot out there in the summer but in the winter it gets mighty cold.  Maybe not the 20 below like some of our friends from Minnesota can attest to but...

Dakota

Reaction score
I grew up in Minnesota and Alaska and I still say Acton gets a bit nippy come winter.  It dipped to 10F last year and I have seen 8F a couple years back.  That was enough to burst the impeller on my water pump because the heat tape was not properly connected.

songdog

Reaction score
35 degrees in Minnesota in March means it's time to go out and play football in shorts since spring is here.  The same 35 degrees here in SoCal means you need to put on the expedition weight long underwear and the Filson woolies. :wink-yellow:

Hager

Reaction score
Theres no feeling better than the one you get when you lay a yote out at 100 yards after sitting there in -10below weather for 15 minutes with the glove off your shooting hand.  Gosh I miss North Dakota.

Top Bottom