coyote picts

Stever

Reaction score
We have many coyotes and two timbers running our area, I would love to get some picts on the game cam. However tried hangin a bag of old meat and no luck put out a carcass of an old deer they would not go near cam. Blue jays kept setting it off though. Until cam was used up. Had some false picts figured jays. I was thinking a two cam strategy? Thoughts? I would love to bait but could use some ideas.

(Edited by Stever at 12:08 pm on Dec. 17, 2001)

(Edited by Stever at 12:09 pm on Dec. 17, 2001)

Stever

Reaction score
Here is how it went. Old barn yard middle of no where. Big ass tree in barn yard two small dirt pile hills 35 yards away. I place a rotten stinkin road kill carcass on one hill. Fresh gut pile on next hill, hang about 40 lbs of frost bitten freezer meat from tree.  Two hills are hit 4 days apart. Not one track in two weeks near bag hangin from the tree.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You are probably leaving too much human scent, coyotes didn't come by the name Wiley for nothing, they are smart.  Try wearing rubber boots and rubber gloves.  Maybe spray some of that Scent Killer on your cam when it's hung out too.

Locations
A good place to put cameras is along field edges, especially by eroded ditches, and down ridge trails, without bait (and watch your scent)

Make a Dirt Hole Set:
get some bright bird feathers or rabbit fur (don't touch) and dig a small hole in the side of a bank with a small shovel, especially a bare dirt bank with a good view, so they can see it from a distance, and stuff those feathers/fur in the hole, slightly buryed.  Leave the dirt pile in front of the hole, like an animal dug it and hid some food.  Scatter some feathers/fur around a little too.   Good for Coyotes and foxes, maybe coons too.  The diameter and depth of this hole only needs to be 3" or so

Scent Post:
get some coyote pee and along a trail or field edge poke a 1/2" dia stick in the ground upright (sticking up about 6" is about rite)  Male Coyotes will heist their leg, just like dogs do.....

Scent, Scent, Scent, Scent, Scent

Tinhorn

davered1

Reaction score
just got to give my 2 cents.

Take 1 gallon of any kind of fish(the fattier the better),place in gallon jar and cover with water.Leave the lid off and put a piece of glass big enough to cover hole on top with a rock on it to hold it down.

Put this jar on your roof for 2 months in summer heat,After 2 months strain liquid from MUSH and pour liquid into gallon Milk jug(plastic jug with screw on lid)

Then you just need to pour this liquid out on ground in front of camera and EVERY MEAT EATING ANIMAL that passes by will stop and check it out GUARANTEED.

No birds will flock to it like road kill because there is nothing to eat just smell.

BEWARE, THIS stuff STINKS and is hard to get smell out of skin,wear rubber gloves.

Stever

Reaction score
Davered1,
Lucky thing here in Ontario, It is still a few months to wait for that stench. However I made something like that when I had a trappers license and you know, I will try it. Theory works because only bird with a sense of smell is vulture. Thanks

knothead

Reaction score
dont know if it would work for pics...but to bring them in...i take a live chicken and tie it to a tree by it leg with a peice of spider wire just long enough for the bird to touch the ground.the bird raises hell..and the dogs do come.maybe you could put the bird under the cam???  just a thought.

Stever

Reaction score
hmmm,
Was thinking that but thought that may offend certain veiwers to this site.

russ

Reaction score
   Hey Stever,
I'm offended that you would think I'd be offended,just kidding!

You all are forgetting about Hawks,they can do some serious damage to a camera,especially the glass.Not that I ever put a live chicken under my cam.Don't use Rabbits either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Possum

Reaction score
You could always use a chicken in a wire cage.  Buy a waterer from the local feed and seed.  Put some feed in a container and then you won't have to check it very often.  I bet it will work, even with some human scent on it.  I just killed two coyotes deer hunting.  The big female took off like a bolt of lightning at the first shot, but the young ones hung around long enough for me to get the second one. First time I've ever seen 4 in a group before.

davered1

Reaction score
ksbowhunter,

Too bad your cam didn't have a big ball peen hammer on it to help the first one out.

nice pics

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
I hear that, that poor pup looks bad, don't he? Maybe he'll make a mistake and step one of those #3 Victor longsprings!  

:handgrab:

Top Bottom