coyote poop

Brian S

Reaction score
  I have been out scouting for deer lately and have found allot of droppings that look like a dog's. The only difference is that there is a bunch of berries and plant looking things in it. I've seen coyote crap that had fur and this is about the same size. Do coyotes or fox eat berries . The bear piles I've seen are just that piles of matter with a bunch of berries mixed in. Whats your take, on these turds.
Brian

grtwythunter

Reaction score
The dog poop with berries in it is coyote. They'll eat just about anything. I've even seen a few piles that had candy bar wrappers in them.               Scott

Brian S

Reaction score
Thanks Scott,
  I was afraid I would soon be part of their poop, I went up unarmed and there was droppings all over the place. The rock I picked up and my pocket knife probably wouldn't have done me much good against a hungry pack. I think I'm going back up with my .260 and jackrabbit call this weekend.
Brian

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
One of the more interesting aspects of hunting on a military base like Camp Pendleton is the coyote scat.  It's full of foil because they eat the discarded MREs that the Marines throw away.  You've never truly wondered about coyotes until that first time you see their poop sparkling in the sun.

Guy

songdog

Reaction score
Yup, coyote.  Bobcat is close but it doesn't contain berries and tends to be darker (result of eating primarily meat).

You can tell a male vs. female coyote dropping based on whether or not it's salty...

Marty

Reaction score
Hey GT,
I thought yotes were verboten on base.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Guy,

That description was just flat-out poetic!  

<font size="2">You've never truly wondered about coyotes until that first time you see their poop sparkling in the sun.</font>

I'm in the presence of greatness!

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Marty, if coyotes are banned on the base you'd better tell that to the coyotes!  There's a lot of them.

Actually, what I think you meant to say is true... you can't hunt coyotes aboard Camp Pendleton.  But just wandering around you see an awful lot of them and even more of their scat.

Speckmisser, I'm speechless... I'm just not sure what to say  :not-worthy:

DanV

Reaction score
You guys got some of them upper class yotes. Ones in my stomping grounds (deer hunting area) seem to only dine on manzanita berries, no hair  in their turds except once in a blue moon. Maybe I should look for a new deer hunting spot where the coyotes have more deer hair in their scat.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
One bear I hunted a couple years ago had all kinds of paper and wrappings in his scat. He was a cabin raiding, dumpster diving eating machine. His favorite snack seemed to be Baby Ruth's, I found the white and Red Baby Ruth wrappers in his scat almost daily. That, or somebody was feeding them to him.

I wonder how that feels if those bags or wrappers ever hang up about half way down or half way out? :skeered:

DanV

Reaction score
Saw a big ol bear crap in Yosemite once that had probably 8-10' of heavy guage saran wrap in it. Bet he/she had a fine time  trying to loose that.

Top Bottom