coyote problem

gone2hunt

Reaction score
I have a cousin in chatsworth who's 8week old lab pup was killed and partially eaten by a coyote. The property is surrounded by undeveloped areas with a lot of cover.  Apparently a lot of coyotes have been spotted in this area.  I was wondering about the legality of killin some of these critters.  Maybe using a crossbow or some other silent methods(.22 pellet gun?) cause its in a sort of a "neighborhood" area.  What do you guys think?

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Just a wild guess... if it's within city limits there are probably regulations against the discharge of firearms within city limits.  And a lot of cities include pellet rifles and archery in the definition of firearms.

Even when there's a big problem with coyotes in an area there will always be people concerned with "coyote's rights."  If he tries to pop some on the qt and gets busted by people like that there'll be hell to play.  Additionally, the last thing hunters need is to have channel 9 come out and broadcast the rescue of some coyote with a crossbow bolt through its leg.

Guy

TScottW99

Reaction score
also a .22 caliber pellet gun or any other caliber pellet gun is not adequate to harvest a coyote.  neither are rimfire calibers.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
We have always had a problem with yotes in my neighborhood, due to I live a couple of blocks from the hills behind my house and there are yotes all over those mountains. A couple of years ago there were  5 cats that had been killed by yotes in a weeks time, I would see them when I go to work at 3 am and also around 4 pm. Myself and a few neighbors called the city to complain, they just sent us out some papper work on yotes and other critters, when we asked how to get rid of them, after the 3rd phone call they just said that they wouldn't come out due to it was not life thretining and the kicker was they said that the yotes were here before we were. So I told them I would take matters into my own hands. They just had the attitude like, yah ok sure. It's a no win sitiuation, sorry dude. I would set a big trap to hold a yote and take care of bizzzzz myself, if you know what I mean, thats if the proble get out of hand.
The part I didn't mind was the cats were gone (don't care for them). Good Luck sorry for the rambling on. :smile-wink: Haven't seen a yote in about a year in my hood.......

mmoose

Reaction score
ive killed coyotes with a 22 rimfire and a 22 pellet gun and a wrist rocked once when i was about 14. it was on our lawn and my father and i snuck the window open and i hit it BY LUCK ONLYsquare in the skull and killed it dead as hell. my dad couldnt believe it and talked about it for years.
i absolutly agree that a rimfire and a pellet gun ARE NOT  the first choice to kill a coyote with and im not suggesting that anyone hunt with them when ther is an option,BUT if you can put a 22cal pellet in the right spot with a powerful enough gun it will killa coyote. it probable will not drop in its tracks but ifyour sole pupose is simply to kill a coyote and get rid of some pests, it will work. it is not the most humane thing to do , the dog could take a while to die if you are not absolutly precise. i would go for a brain or hearts shot and only at close range.

MAC

Reaction score
uh, I've had .22 cal pelets @ 900ft per second not penetrate a squirrels on body shots. they only way you are going to kill a coyote with one of those is if it gets scared  when you hit it and then runs into the street and gets itself hit by a car.

didn't we already mull this over before?

DanV

Reaction score
Best thing to do is make sure your pets are inside the house or behind a solid fence, especially at night. I had fence fights at night between my small dog any another on occasion, being usually late I'll just ignore it (first time anyway). In the morning I found torn up shrubs and coyote scat and a scratch or chewed fence but my little mutt was safe in the yard. The cats around here don't last long running at night, acouple we have  had did'nt  make it a year, good way to get rid of unwanted cats without being the bad guy!

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
I would agree that a pellet gun of any size (.177 or .22) is hardly adequate to do some serious coyote hunting.  However, either a pellet gun or paintball gun (freeze the paintballs) would be suitable for a discrete means of aversion training.  In other words, the coyotes are likely to avoid your neighborhood.  I've seen it work in the past with coyotes and black bear in suburbia.  

mmoose

Reaction score
WOW did anyone else think that sounded like Mac was calling me a lier? lol well i dont care if he was, i know what ive done and a 22 cal pellet WILL KILL A COYOTE. maybe not everytime, maybe not the best tool but it has worked. i shot three out my window in the trash at about 15ft or so.they were found later not too far off. layed down and died.

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is calling you a liar, mmoose.  MAC was simply posting his experiences, as you posted yours.  But, for the reasons you clearly stated in a previous post, I think most, if not all would agree that the .22 pellet gun is hardly ADEQUATE (in terms of suitability) for killing a coyote.  That's not to say necessarily that it is not POSSIBLE.  For example, you said in a couple of posts that IF you hit it in the right spot and IF you had a powerful gun, at close range (15 feet or so?), the coyote would eventually die.  Based on this strict criteria and questionable (hardly ethical) results, would be be satisfied with the performance of a .22 pellet gun on a regular basis?  Would you feel confident with it?  I myself would not.  

Also, please consider the public relations damage that would be sure to be incurred should neighbors witness the shot and the aftermath that might follow.  It would be sure to garner as much, if not more, attention (all negative) than the crossbow/possum incident awhile back.  

If a pellet gun is a must, a shot to the backside would go far in convincing that coyote that an easier and less painful meal could be had elsewhere, don't you think?  

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Well said Rifleman.  I think everybody agrees that a .22 pellet is not normally adequate to take out a coyote.  No need to carry that discussion any further.  

One thing that was hit on and is very correct is the public perception of hunters when we do something foolish, or even under normal circumstances.  When game wonder around wounded by an shot from a load too small or with an arrow/bolt stuck in them it makes the 6 o'clock news.  It pulls on peoples heart strings and turns them further against hunters.  I'm a Hunter Ed Instructor. One of the things we teach is that approx. 10% of the population supports hunting, 10 % are against hunting and the remainine 80% sits on the fence.  What we do as hunters and sportsman sway which way the remaining 80% will go.

Which way will your actions sway the remaining 80%??

Ethics and responsibility have become a very large factor in hunting these days.  How we act around non-hunters and how we choose to effectively and humanly take game need to be considered every time we go afield.  This also relates to how we act towards one another.  Acting responsible and civily will move sportsman ahead with the 80% more than can be imagined.  PETA and AR thrive on stunts to bring attention towards their causes.  Alot of the stunts are outrageous.  If we act civily and responsibly and let the AR people continue with thier stunts, who will look better to the remaining 80%?

I challenge all of you to think about your actions afield and how they would look to someone sitting on the fence post.  Would they come to you side?

Todd

~sorry for the soap box but it is too important to let go.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
mmoose,

As an ethical hunter you're responsible to use enough gun to do the job quickly. Having them crawl off to die a slow death somewhere else is not the goal.

We've had enough of these .22 for moose, coyote or elk posts. Please help the guy with his problem but leave out the .22 for yote advice. We've already covered this subject several times here and I don't want to start having to delete the .22 for yote posts. I'm not a fan of censorship but I'm also not a fan of having  bad advice handed out here.

shadow

Reaction score
When there's an "IF" in the equation it's domed to fail.  Don't take the chance go for the positive or sure thing when deciding on loads or weapon's to ensure a quick and "humain" expiration of the animal.  I know I would like to go quickly and not suffer myself.  Sure shot's get off target with "high power" rifles and bow's but the weapon is more than adiquate to do the job, and if only wounded than I feel it's MY obilgation to "finish" the job as soon as possible so the animal does not suffer any more than it already has.  Weather it's a varmit, preditor or "eatable" game it doesn't matter.

machine

Reaction score
how about hooking up motion lights?
don't know if that would scare the yotes off?
it's hard too think of away not to shoot them???

rlwright

Reaction score
If your in city limits your out of luck, otherwise call the local sheriff and ask if it's legal to shoot shotguns. If theres houses in the area any kind of rifle will be out of the question, with shotguns theres more leeway.  

gone2hunt

Reaction score
maybe the tactic should be to scare them off and not to wound/kill them in the city limits.  I dont think i should even shoot it with a pellet gun to scare it since it "could" penetrate the skin.  I'll have to think of some other "negative reinforcement" techniques.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
A slingshot is a good choice.  Odds are REAL slim you're gonna do real damage, and a coyote is smart enough to know not to come around after he gets popped a time or two.  He'll go where the pickins are easier.

A question.. how do the neighbors feel about it?  Would they be upset if someone with, say, a bow, went into the woods and stuck a couple of 'yotes?  Might not hurt to ask around.  If the neighbors are losing pets also, maybe they'll be open to the idea.  Never know 'til you try.  

gone2hunt

Reaction score
we do know of another neighbor who lost their dog but I think the possum with the arrow deal is a possibility and that could get me in big trouble not to mention the "bad rap" for other hunters (although a good broadhead shot should go straight trough).

grtwythunter

Reaction score
  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from my limited experience, once you have a coyote problem it will take quite awhile to get rid of it. I've been helping out a local rancher that has coyotes killing his sheep. Since early summer we've killed over 30 yotes on his ranch and the sheep killings have barely slowed down. I can still call at least one yote in almost every trip out.
  The DFG and animal control folks will probably be very little help to you, but they're the only legal means you've got. Make a pest out of yourself to them and maybe you'll get more than the usual "help".(ie...telling you to keep your pets inside, pamphlets, etc.)
Good luck.                             Scott

Latest Posts

Top Bottom