coyote shot gun on sale at big 5

paulc

Reaction score
big 5 has a model 870 remington that shoots 3 1/2 shells and down to 2 3/4s.. has a 26 inch barrel with a modified choke.. gun is on sale for $229.99  .. a good freind of mine just spent 500+ on a bennelli ... i have always liked the  870..  what is everyones opinion on this gun for coyotes to geese.. i want your opinion before i pony up the dollary for a new gun..
thanks paul

grtwythunter

Reaction score
paulc- I have an 870 that I use pretty regularly for coyotes. Mainly because they are thick close to town and only shotguns are legal. I use 2-3/4 inch 00buck. Out to about 50 yards I've never had one take another step after I pulled the trigger. I bought a Mossberg 3" mag this year but haven't tried it on the dogs yet. Sounds like a good price for the gun especially for a 3-1/2"!!

paulc

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback went to big 5 and the ad was a misprint and they wont honor it... i didnt push it...

grtwythunter

Reaction score
paulc- I got Big5's new ad yesterday and it has the same deal advertised. $229.99 after $25 manufacturers rebate. I don't know what their problem with the price is, but I was a retail manager long enough to know that if you take it to the home office you'll probably get the price it is advertised for.    Scott

paulc

Reaction score
grtwhythunter you are right.. i could probably raise some hell and get it at that price but i have not talked my self into buying it yet.. i keep forgetting you can only shoot 1 gun at a time.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
But there are 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week! Besides an empty space in your safe is a waste.   Scott

paulc

Reaction score
thats part of the problem... i am out of empty space in my safe and the reasons i tell my wife i am getting another gun are getting a little lame.
on the bright side i am taking her hunting the next 2 weekends a zone and then a newmexico antelope hunt.

Jbrad

Inactive
Reaction score
I have an 870 express I've had for about 10years.It was my first shotgun and still the only one I've ever owned. It shoots 3" or 2+3/4". I've taken just about everything you can kill with a shotgun with it. Dove, quail ,ducks ,geese, sandhills, turkey, yotes, coons, bobcat, and hogs. If that ain't an all around gun I don't know what is.

Later,
Justin

RanchRoper

Reaction score
I have had an  870 for years and the gun has never malfuctioned.  It has killed waterfowl, upland game birds, small game, and big game.  You can't go wrong with one and at that price why not get one.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
I remember about 14 years ago (just before I put the ring on her finger) I went into Turner's to buy an 870 Express for $179.00.  I'd probably only shot 3 or 4 times before & wasn't too sharp about guns.  Walked out with a beautifully stocked work of art.  My friend saw it later in the year at my first Dove opener & couldn't believe it was so cheap.  Ends up they gave me a sweet Wingmaster.  Still my favorite and it shoots flawlessly.

lintongb

Reaction score
I have a ruger red label that I have taken on the dove hunt the last couple of years because I have lent my 870 to a kid I have been bringing along on the dove hunt.  I shoot ok with it but I still prefer to shoot my 870 wingmaster that I have had since I was 16.  They are great guns.  That kid just went out and bought a new 870 express for himself.  Proof positive.

Top Bottom