Coyote Taken in Irvine

Marty

Reaction score
A large coyote (must have been a good 40-50 lbs - no kidding.  He was as big as a lab.) was struck and killed on Bake Pkwy at the 5/405 split.  A local farm worker walked down the center divider to retrieve the yote from the westbound middle lane of traffic.  The yote was probably struck by an eastbound vehicle as it crossed the road from south to north, between the strawberry fields.  

(Edited by Marty at 12:58 pm on Mar. 28, 2002)

T F Coyote

Reaction score
Marty, apparently you and I live close to eachother.

I also travel Bake Pkwy enroute to work.  I have seen several coyotes sitting in the landscaping of the adjacent businesses.  I didn't see the one today; I passed that location at about 0645 hours.

Only once did I have to swerve to avoid hitting one.  I wouldn't have bothered swerving, except that it was dark and I thought it was a dog.

Marty

Reaction score
I passed through at 0615.  Home is back up by the creek.  Give me the "modified JHP sign"  anytime you see me.  

Deez

Reaction score
Heys guys I also know exactly where your talking about. You see,I sell those strawberry's down there and I get down there once a month to talk to the growers and what not. I saw a yote way out on the east end of Sand Canyon road about 3 weeks ago. Maybe 1 mile past Irvine Blvd on the right hand side of Sand Canyon. He was in the field in between Sand Canyon and that new toll road. At first I thought it was a dog until I stoppedand looked for a minute,then I started to pull into the field and he got scared and did not know what to do. He literally disappeared by the time I got to the backside of the field. I could not figure out where he went. My only guess was he crossed the highway or layed down in the grass. This was about 0700 hrs. Could not believe he was so close that late in the day. I think he crossed the freeway at night  and by the time he turned around he did not know what to do because as you two know TONS OF TRAFFIC. Anyways they must be in the low foothills just east of there. Know any property owners?

songdog

Reaction score
I use to dove hunt in those strawberry fields when I grew up in Laguna Niguel.  Now the freeway is 24 lanes across...

Marty

Reaction score
The Animal Control Officers in Irvine have photo'd the yotes out at mid-day.  Too many tasty morsels running around to stay under cover.  I saw a fox out by Harvard & Walnut, before they paved the land and put in the houses.

Our friends were awakened by a yote grabbing a cat, just the other morning.  A pack was making a sweep through the neighborhood.  The "lost" posters went up soon after.

The yotes by us use the creek as a corridor.  The neighbor across from us said there used to be a den right behind his house.  I'm just glad our neighbors are not as psychotic as the residents near Anaheim Hills.  There's no reason to trap or control these yotes.  When all the outdoor cats are gone, they'll move on.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I'll try taking one out when I get the chance.  I take Bake all the way up.  But I'm usually at that intersection around 0900.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom