Coyotes at Spenceville?

Quacker Wacker

Reaction score
Anyone have success at Spenceville?  Seems like good habitat.  Scouting for doves I saw alot of little critters and sign.  

andrew

Reaction score
I have a class with a guy that says the coyote hunting is great out there. I havent been there before so I am still wondering where exactly to go.

Megadeth

Reaction score
The rolling hills behind the archery range have tons of em'. They seem to like the more "hilly" areas, I believe its for the cover. Your avg. shot will be about 150 yds. Shoot em in the eyes!!!!!!!!!!!

Megadeth

Reaction score
No pressure for coyotes at Spenceville. Once you enter the area from either end, just travel  to its center, and scout. If your a seasoned varminteer, it should be a blast.

andrew

Reaction score
Ok, now the real question, if I am in Cutrus heights(near sac), how do I get to the hunting grounds?

Megadeth

Reaction score
80 East to 65 North. At the town of Sheridan there is a sign for Camp Far West Lake. Turn right and go to McCourtney and follow it over the dam. Once across the dam take a right. You'll notice a turnoff for the lake entrance, dont go there, continue straight ahead over the steep hill. Once your atop the hill the pavement ends, continue on. You"ll come to an ols corral where the road takes a Y, go left. You wont notice any signs or anything like that, just SWA signs on the border fencing. If you travel to the center of the area there is a map booth, theres also one by the shooting range. I hope the directions are good enough. Good luck. Maybe we can hook up in Lincoln sometime about noon and I can show you the way. Its a cool place.

andrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the directions. I will have to go next weekend to check that place out. Do you know if the coyotes are vey plentiful there(spenceville)?

Megadeth

Reaction score
Yes, they're very plentiful. Hunt the washes and streambeds.

andrew

Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back. It was some bad news. Friday night, I got a call from my uncle saying there was alot of bears being taken from around his area in the past week and if I wanted my bear, I had better get up there. Well, no yotes and no bear, I hate getting skunked.

andrew

Reaction score
Ok, ok, I know you've heard this in the past but I am positive I have nothing to do sunday so I will spend the day scouting at spenceville. I read there is an archery range and shooting range. My question is, are they easy to find and hopefully stay clear from? Is there any private property that isnt marked that I need to look out for? And finally, how much land is out there to hunt on?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 There is plenty of land to hunt on and the boreders are well marked.  Both the archery range and shooting range are off the main road and easy to see.  I have seen coyote a few times right where there is the T in the road up the hill from there, although there is tons of sign all over that place.

Brian

andrew

Reaction score
So I can just go out there and hunt anywhere? Are there alot of other people hunting usually?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Yes it is help yourself except for spring turkey season.  There are guys that jump shoot the ponds for ducks but still not many hunters. There are tons of horseback riders and tree huggers though using the land that was bought and maintained with hunting and fishing license revenue.  We had a couple on bikes ride right through our setup when we had a boss tom at 70 yards.

Brian

andrew

Reaction score
Thanks whoadog. I bet that hurt when those bikes came through. I bet they spooked that turkey, eh?

andrew

Reaction score
How does the jackrabbit population look at Spenceville? I figure while I am up there, why not toss the NEF single shot 12ga in the pick-up and pop a few bunnies. No better way to get the lay of the land than by walking around. Are there any foxes or bobcats too?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Too many coyotes for there to be rabbits.  I can't remember seeing a rabbit but I don't pay much attention to rabbits.  I haven't seen bobcat or foxes but I don't see why they wouldn't be around.

Brian

andrew

Reaction score
No rabbits because too many coyotes? Wow, this place sounds too good to be true. It sounds like the place is thick with coyotes. I wonder if I will even have to bust out the predator call. Oh yeah, any suggestions on which call would be best? I have to buy a new one anyway so why not get one thats best for that particular area.

Advertisement

Top Bottom