Coyotes kill relocated SoCal tortoises

Kit Fox

Reaction score
I've got a new reason to justify Coyote Hunting to those that don't understand!

Sac Bee Article

BARSTOW, Calif. -- Endangered tortoises that were moved to make way for Army tank training in the Mojave Desert are facing a threat from coyotes.

Coyotes have killed 11 relocated desert tortoises since March, when federal officials began moving about 770 to make way for expansion of Fort Irwin training grounds north of Barstow.

A dozen tortoises already living in the relocation area also have died.

A U.S. Fish and Wildlife expert says three tortoises survived attacks, although two lost a leg.

Authorities say the coyotes may be attacking tortoises out of desperation because a drought has depleted their usual prey: rabbits.

Federal authorities plan to track the coyotes and kill or capture them to protect the tortoises.

Rick

Reaction score
Does it say where they were relocated, in case we wanted to help reduce the coyote problem?

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Funny how coyotes and tortoises have lived together in the Mojave for thousands of years, now all the sudden they have a problem? Must be some condor experts with nothing else to do.

barel74

Reaction score
If those endangered tortoise were on any of our property, and we wanted to expand, we would be denied. What makes Fort Irwin so special..... not that I give a damn about tortoises....or condors for that matter.

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
If we want to go and shoot the yotes, and the turtles are a protected critter, does that mean we can not use lead as the turtles may eat it and die?

R

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this subject since I have had some experience with tortoises and coyotes. Coyotes may knock off a tortoise now and then, but in no way are they going to hurt the overall population. In the spring I have found places in the desert where you could count close to a 100 tortoises in about an hour just walking around.
Some people say they are endangered? That's because they are usually city people looking in the wrong places. Kinda like Mt Lions, I never seen one, so they must be endangered.

LKN4HOG............a tortoise is not a turtle, put a tortoise in the lake and you have a sinker. Put a turtle in the desert and you have an empty shell and a happy crow.

Top Bottom