CRIT

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Has anybody hunted on the CRIT (Colorado River Indian Tribes) land before?  I am considering it this year,  but would like some more information before I purchase a permit.

mtngoat

Reaction score
I've hunted the reservation for the last 16 years. Its always been a good spot for water fowl and upland game. In the past 3 or 4 years theres been an exponential increase in hunting pressure, by the end of the season the quail are real spooky. A hunting license cost 45.00 and it goes from Jan. 1 to the end of the year, if you hunt the place throughout the waterfowl season you have to buy two licenses . As far as I know all you need is a federal duck stamp, but I've only been checked for possesion of the permit. On most years its worth it. Last season was real slow( just like the rest of Ca.), but in general on a good year you can hunt gambels quail and ducks all day long. I've taken almost every species of duck and some canadian geese. Mostly mallards, greenwing teal, gadwall, widgeon, and ringnecks. It's pretty much all jump shooting out of ditches. Theres a lot of agricultural fields to set up decoys in, but you get more action if you stay on the move. Every dove season a new place gets posted it seens like. Nine times out of ten you'll be jump shooting quail and ducks along the same ditch. It's usually hot durning the day for the whole season and we encouter a rattlesnake every quail opener. If you decide to go I'll be in a two tone brown K-5 blazer. We spend every thanksgivivng there and lots of miscelanous weekends depending how the hunting is.  

jerry d

Reaction score
If this is the same place I'm thinking of, I have a friend that hunts dove and whitewing there every year and told me your gun barrel is constantly hot from all the action.

BigDog

Reaction score
Jerry D, email me please. I do not have your email and I want to ask you a question.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Good hunting and fishing on CRIT land. I grew up jump shooting in Missouri and the CRIT reminds me of that kind of hunting.

Above the Colorado River Indian Tribes is the Fort Mojave Indian Reservation, extending from Needles north to the Arizona-Nevada border. This reservation has land on both sides of the river and you can obtain a hunting permit to hunt there too. PH# 520-330-3000.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Just found this post so I'm a little late.  I agree with mtngoat about the hunting opportunites.  I've been going to the Parker area for 15 years (mostly watersports) and hunting there for 6 years.  Yes, the pressure is up, especially with the Dove opener falling on the weekend.  The permit may seem pricy, but go back & try a few quail hunts.  They also sponsor a Pheasant hunt which I missed but heard was great on the opener.  Head north of the Parker Bridge (not Agnes Wilson) about 5 miles and the CA. side is BLM land where your CA license is good.

****We've been checked going back into CA the past 3 years!  They need to have a form filled out for CRIT management - no big deal - BUT!!! By law you need to fill out a declaration of bringing game back into CA.  It's a standard DFG form.  Don't get caught.  Heard it's a big fine.****

Also, on the CA side of Lake Havasu is the Black something RV park.  Lots of good hunting in the washes down to the lake.  If you go too far north on the dirt road, you get into the Chemuivi (?) Reservation which requires another license which I believe went up to $50
  Another nice feature of the CRIT license is that a junior can hunt without their own license as long as they're with you and you have a license.  Your limit is the same but you add both of your take for one limit.  My daughter got to shoot 2nd and 3rd day last opener when the pressure dropped.

DEER HUNTERS
Two years ago, I saw the biggest live deer in my life running across the road just north of Bermuda Palms RV park on the CA side.  We often seen prints near the washes.  This thing was HUGE.

Duke

Top Bottom