Critics Corner.....

u turned em

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I added some more detailed pictures of my camera to my Webshots album, and wanted to ask for any comments, constructive criticisms, or suggestion before deployment this Sat.  I've already tested the camera.......put a roll in it tonight, hung it in the backyard, and made a bunch of pics. using my son as a moving test subject.  We took them to Eckerd's and they all turned out nice!

Since many of you have been through the trails and tribulations of these cameras, I thought that a review might be helpful.  If you see anything that might be a problem, please feel free to comment. Thanks.

P.S. Don't worry, ...there are no pictures of us trotting across the yard!  

http://www.community.webshots.com/user/uturnedem

fixed by Tinhorn:
http://community.webshots.com/user/uturnedem

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Looks like you have it figured out to me.   I see lots of inovation with the cabinet door handles for strap hooks and I really like the pvc cap covering your switches.  even used shrink rap.   all in all thats a nice camera.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 you might want to put a strip of sticky foam(weather strip) angling between the flash and lens on the front cover to keep from flash bleed over,unless you tested after dark and all was fine.

I would like to make a comment about the switch cover,very nice,i would be interested in how you did that!  otherwise,get it out on the tree,time is wasting:smile-big-blue:

u turned em

Reaction score
Tinhorn.......thanks for fixing my link, I still haven't got that one figured out yet.  Passthru......thanks for reminding me about the sticky foam,....got it done late last night!

Someone (can't remember who) recently commented as part of a post that on their next camera they were going for "no external switches".  This got me to thinking of how that could be done.  I figured that I'm pretty rough on things, and that I'd for sure break off one or both of those mini toggles before too long.  So, I came up with the threaded PVC cap idea and it worked well.  The threaded fitting is a 1 1/2" PVC coupling (1 end threaded and one end accepts 1.5" pipe).  I cut the flared (pipe accepting) end off to about 1/2" in length just to shorten it and glued a piece of plastic ( I took the plastic lens out of an old flashlight that didn't work ver well...)over that end to serve as a surface to mount the switches.  Then I drilled a hole in the side of my camera housing box to put the threaded end of the coupling end through from the inside to the outside.  The threaded end is just under 2" diameter, so I had to use a 1 3/4" hole saw and enlarge the hole slightly with a sanding wheel on my Dremel tool.  Using a liberal amount of glue, I glued the coupling into the box ( ..the holes for the switches already drilled).  It's just big enough to get your finger in to flip the switches, but I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the nuts on the switches.  To finish it, I roughed-up the outside of the cap pretty good with the sanding wheel, coated it with 5 minute epoxy so that the paint would stick, and painted it.

AEH...thanks.  Just a note.....the door handles are large enough to pass a Master cable lock through.

shadow

Reaction score
I like the box exspecially the camo job!!!! Cudo's to you.  The PVC switch cover is one for the books that I will surely use.  How did the handles hold up when you straped them up against the tree?  I know when I had done one similar to that I had a hard time strapping the cam so it wouldn't wobble around.  I ended up putting my strapping points on the sides of the box which proved to be a bit more stable.  Get the thing in the woods and take some pics.  Great Job.  Neat package.  Great Camo job.

u turned em

Reaction score
No wobbles.....they actually "center" the camera on the diameter of the tree and I'm only using a 1" strap....and a one, big, heavy duty cable lock!!   Going to the woods tomorrow.....and I'm sure it will be hotter than heck!

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
i think it's nice. i use the same housing except i have the camera shooting out the other end of the box and remove the "cover" to acess the back of the camer and all components, and fit everything in it, makes it more compact.
gumbo

Top Bottom