spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Channel 3000

Critics Plan To Block 'Massive Extermination'

Vet Says DNR Has No Scientific Data To Back Up Actions

June 13, 2002

PINE BLUFF, Wis. -- Opponents of a state plan to kill 25,000 deer to eradicate a fatal brain disease from the herd said Wednesday night that landowners should band together to block the "massive extermination" of deer.  

"We have to stop this plan," said Anthony Grabski, a biochemist and property owner in the eradication zone where state officials want to eliminate all the deer to stop the spread of chronic wasting disease.

Grabski said the Citizens Against Irrational Deer Slaughter is not made up of anti-hunting radicals but those who favor controlling the disease by holding a couple extra hunting seasons this fall to trim the herd, rather than trying to wipe out all the deer in the designated zone.

His comments drew enthusiastic applause from a crowd of just over 100 people gathered at an indoor volleyball court of a sports bar.

The opponents said wildlife officials should be forced to find alternative solutions to the problem.

They said those who own property in the 361-square-mile eradication zone (pictured above) need to convince the state Department of Natural Resources, legislators or a court to order a halt to the program.

The group is circulating petitions asking state officials to stop the kill and is considering filing a lawsuit.

John Barnes, a retired veterinarian who helped start the opposition group, said DNR officials have no scientific data to back up their actions.

"They're just pulling things out of the air with no basis whatsoever," said Barnes, who lives in Springdale township near the eradication zone.

So far, 945 landowners have obtained special DNR permits for the eradication hunt. Hunters killed 72 deer last weekend, when the first of four weeklong summer seasons opened, DNR spokesman Greg Matthews said. He did not know how many deer were killed this week.

StringShooter

Reaction score
I'ts a sad situation to say the least. Who would of ever thught they would be hunting deer in Wisconsin in June!

I hope it never reaches us in Missouri but I feel that it is only a matter of time.

Top Bottom