Crows in so. cal.???

dazco

Reaction score
Man this is a great forum !!!! I've been looking for a forum like this that has everything, PLUS, a lot of guys in the so cal area. Boy am i gonna have a lot of questions for you all !!! LOL

Anyway, i haven't hunted for almost 30 years other than a few jacks now and then. I decided to get back into it and bought a new shotgun and i'm dyin to head out. Because the season is pretty much over here, i wanted to go out and find some crows since they are still in season for another month or so.

So i wanted to see if anyone here could point me in the right direction for some reasonably productive crow shootin as close as possible to the Los angeles area. I don't mind driving out say, as far as Red rock. But out in Mojave i haven't seen many.

I know there seems to be a sort of unwritten law about asking others about specific areas they've found to be great, but if anyone could just give me a general area that will get me in the ballpark i'd be thankfull.

Thanks, -Dale

Rick

Reaction score
I don't know of any area where they congregate in large numbers and it is allowable to hunt them.   I'm sure such places exist, though.   The area of Rio Hondo, by Rosemead and San Gabriel Avnues, gets literally thousands of them in the early evening when I'm going home.  I thought they were starlings or something at first.   Tons of them.   But of course, you can't hunt there.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but welcome to the forum.

EVAN III

Reaction score
           dazco,
Welcome to Jesse's, What ever your questions I'm sure someone here can help. Glad to have you aboard. As for crows, I don't hunt them much, but I have seen tons of them out in Phelan. I'm not sure if you can shoot shotgun out there but I think you can. Anyway good luck and welcome back to the world of hunting.

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
humm.........not sure where Phelan is, but i'll research it. Thanks for the welcome. This place is absolutly great !

-Dale

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Dale-
Phelan is southwest of Victorville/Hesperia. Make sure you can tel; the difference between crows and ravens, because there are a ton of the latter out there, and they are protected. I can't tell the difference, so I don't shoot either.  Have fun......Scott

dazco

Reaction score
EVAN III,

I was out that way today, but forgot about Phelan !! I was within 15 minutes of there. But looking at the L.A. county firearms closure map i can't tell for sure if u can shoot there. It's either in the green area or white. Green is ok, but white says something about being ok to shoot subject to "special restrictions in the firearms closure regulations" or something to that effect. So i think i can probably shoot there, and if i get stopped i'll just show them the map and hope they realize that it's not clear. As long as i don't shoot around any roads or building i think i should be ok.

However, can you tell me exactly where you've seen such large numbers out there? Any directions would be greatly appriciated. Have u seen many in areas that are not poulated, like large desert areas with few if any farms, etc?

Thanks,-Dale

EVAN III

Reaction score
      Dale,
The special reg. area you speak of is probly "shotgun only" area. I was out this weekend riding, and I did not see many crows out. It seems like the summer is better out there. I think the season is closed then though. If you go out the main road don't know the name, but it is the main road that you take from the 138 hwy. Take the main road south intil you pass over the aquaduct, then take one of the dirt roads( doesn't matter which one) west , and you should get into some open areas around the foothills. When I talked to the guy I go visit out there he said he had spoken to the sheriff dept. and ask if he could shot the yotes that come around his yard, they told him its ok, but he had to use a shotgun. So I'm pretty sure you can shoot a shotgun out there. By the way how long is crow season?
Let me see if I can dig up some better directions. I'll get back to you.
                               EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
EVAN,

I believe the season is from 12/1 to 4/4, according to the crowbusters site. I'm probably going to Phelan next weekend, or the one after at the very least. Thanks for the help. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you post any more info as you suggested.

-Dale

dazco

Reaction score
By the way Evan.......you say take the road "south" from the 138, but on my map it shows Phelan north-east of the 138. Are you sure it's south?

-Dale

EVAN III

Reaction score
     Your probly right. I suck at direction. My built in compass is broken. LOL..  Anyway, if you take 138 from the 15, take the first phelan cutoff. That road should take you stright through the city. or town. Keep going intil you hit the aquaduct. Then if you take any of the dirt roads that head off towards the foothills you will get into some open areas. Since crow season runs thru april you should have some luck out there once it warms up a little. Next time I'm out there I'll scope out some areas while I'm riding around, and I'll let you know.

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
Thanks Evan. I think I'm going this weekend. Made a CD of crow calls, so I'll take a boom box and see what happens. I'll be coming from the other direction by the way. I come from the direction of pearblossom.

Thanks again...i'll let you know if i get lucky.-Dale

EVAN III

Reaction score

Hey Dazco,
Good luck this weekend. Seems were gonna have a nice warm weekend so lets hope thier flyin.
                                  EVAN III

Top Bottom