Custom Rods

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wanted to see if there was anyone else on this board that wraps rods.  I've been doing it for a few years and now seem to be busy wrapping rods for all my buddies.  I'd love to swap some ideas.  
Nate

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Nate, I used to do a bunch of rods.  I haven't been doing a lot of fishing lately but have taken my rod wrapping over to arrow making.  I use thread instead of paint for the cresting on arrows I make.  It turns out pretty good.

I've still got a few blanks that have been giving me the evil eye because they aren't wrapped but man, those Fuji guides haven't gotten any cheaper!

Guy

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Grey,
Yep its still an expensive hobby.  But I can make enough wrapping to keep me busy and fund a few trips.  What blanks do you have?  I might know someone to take them off your hands if you are looking to sell.  

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Sell my blanks!  Are you out of your mind? :jaw-drop:

I still have hopes of putting them together and using them.  They'll just have to squeeze in between archery and shooting.

I've got one 9' steelhead Seeker rod that I want to put a Robert's wrap on and see how it'll throw light anchovies or jigs for shore or breakwater fishing.  I like conventional reels but that long of a rod full of guides on a regular wrap will kill the action.

But thanks for the offer :smile-big-blue:

huntducks

Reaction score
SDHNTR

If your intersited I can tell you where you can get Garcia blanks, cork, hyplon, and guides,(fresh & salt) and not one or two, but by the gross all older Garcia Conlon stuff, matter of fact I have maybe 500 surf rod blanks, I have been using a few for tomateo & decoy steaks, but would let go a few if you want.

(Edited by huntducks at 4:50 pm on Feb. 23, 2002)

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Tomatoe stakes?!  I don't care if they are just Garcias, you should be keelhauled!

What a thing to do to a rod blank... :surprised-purple:

huntducks

Reaction score
Grey want to buy some tomatoe stakes I mean rod blanks I have 475 unused ones that are just surf rods and then maybe another 2000 fresh & salt all shapes, sizes, colors, painted & unpainted.

So if you want to rescue some before the smaller ones become Texas rag stakes let me know, we even have fly rod blanks, Peterson, maybe a few fenwick.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Criminy, and here I go to OSH to buy bamboo tomatoe stakes and turn them into arrows.... something ain't right here.

Thanks for the offer.  If I was still doing a bunch of fishing I'd likely take you up on some of those.  

Now, if you end up with a few hundred used trad bows, let's talk...  :smile-big-blue:

huntducks

Reaction score
I do have a few trad bows, one made by Howard Hill and two by Roy Weatherby, both  the one's by Weatherby are metal one is trad the other is a recurve.

Bet you did not know that old Roy made a few bows.

(Edited by huntducks at 9:43 pm on Feb. 24, 2002)

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Huntducks, if a bow doesn't have wheels or cables it's trad and it's good.  

Too cool on the Weatherby bows.  You're right, I didn't know he ever made any.  I just met a fellow today at the range that has a Howard Hill Big 5.  That's a nice, classic longbow.  I almost got one last year but got out bid in the auction.  Probably a good thing as it was in the 70lb+ range.  That's a bit heavier than I normally pull and I'd probably hurt myself.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I wrapped one about 4 years ago.  It was part of a rod building class put on by Rod's by Gina, held at Dick Simon Marine in Dana Point.  I ended up building a rig to wrap my own, but haven't had the time yet.  I was going to wrap one two summers ago, but ran out of time and ended up taking it to Glenn's Tackle in Costa Mesa to finish.  Maybe I'll buy another blank at the Fred Hall show and wrap one this spring.

Top Bottom