Cutting Windows in Foam

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone posted this before or not but I made a foam hole cutter last night that worked out perfectly.  I have been using an adhesive backed foam to seal the flash on my cameras latlely.  3/8" foam.  I took a piece of the steel sink drain (the drain trap- straight with an elbow)  that is 1.25" diameter, sharpened it on the belt sander all the way around.  locate the hole you want and push down and twist.  Cuts a perfectly round hole with nice sharp edges.  I cover the entire inside of the camera compartment door above the sensor with it,  covering all the glass and sealant.  Dosen't work any better but it really makes it look nice.  much quicker than using a knife or sisscors.   Any thin walled tube should work just as good.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Nice Idea, I have a heck of a time with scissors!

what's the size of that foam pad (besides the 3/8") and where'd you get it

Tinhorn

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Came in a sheet 24" wide by ???.  Got it from work and I'm not sure which vendor it came from.   I'll try to find out.  

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
Great idea!  you should see the mess I can make with an exacto knife!!!n fire mad:

tomtruck

Reaction score
good idea, i can really butcher that stuff with a scissors...

bigmandude

Reaction score
I use round pipe insulation and just cut it a 1/2" thick. it goes a long way at 98 cents for 6 foot length.  I think that was Welby's idea....can't remember who told me that.

Archilochus

Reaction score
I'll repeat this idea from Jaggermax for cutting smaller size holes in foam.
Take a piece of the appropriate size PVC tube and use it to press the foam down where you want the hole.  Sharpen one end of a piece of copper tube that fits nicely inside the PVC tube. Press the PVC tube down on the foam, slide in the sharpened copper tube in and push it down - perfect hole!

Thanks Jaggermax! Works great

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom