CVA Accura-Anyone Have One?

subfan

Reaction score
In the event I pull my AZ deer tag, I was thinking about retiring the Knight Bighorn and getting the CVA Accura. Anyone have personal experience with one? Seems like they are getting good reviews. I have some Cabela's points to burn.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Unless they are certifying the barrels I wouldn't use a CVA to anchor my boat with. There are a bunch of lawsuits going through the courts now regarding burst barrels with injuries. I'd stick with the Knight.

richracer1

Reaction score
Unless they are certifying the barrels I wouldn't use a CVA to anchor my boat with. There are a bunch of lawsuits going through the courts now regarding burst barrels with injuries. I'd stick with the Knight.
That's funny you never had a problem sitting next to me when I'm using my CVA Optima Pro??? As I recall a 288lb hog was harvested with this ML with you about 2-3 feet to my right. So much for the boat anchor comment. As for the barrel certification, do you have concrete evidence that the barrels are not certified, and please don't reference Randy Wakeman. I doubt he has concrete evidence either.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
No I don't. However, there is absolutely no recourse for someone in the USA who purchases substandard merchandise from a foreign entity. That alone would leave me concerned. And I know you will point out I own Beretta products, but they ARE certified in this country, which makes it a bit different. Yes, I read Randy Wakeman, and found what he had to say frightening, and with specific incidents to report, it was pretty compelling.

I don't know if it applies to all of the CVAs, but it makes them suspect. And, Blackhorn 209 is not recommended for the CVA or Winchester muzzleloader. So, why take a risk when you can spend about the same for a New England Firearms muzzleloader, that IS considered safe, or spend a bit more for a T/C or Knight.

I didn't mean to twist your tail; you obviously got a good one and you shoot it well.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
And, I didn't know about the problems with the CVA when you shot that toad.

STICK&STRING

Reaction score
CVA had recalls for their 1995-1996 muzzleloaders. They could have had more recent recalls, although I have not been informed of them. I was informed of their issues when I was in the market for my first muzzleloader in '06. I chose a T/C because of the way it felt in my hands and their reputation.

richracer1

Reaction score
I did some research on the CVA issue and the lawsuits. 100% of the lawsuits that I opened and read about or saw the S/N of the CVA product listed were manufactured in the 95 & 96 timeframe. Oh wait, they had a recall of CVA in-line muzzleloaders for those years.

Anyway, their is no problem with current CVA products. I will continue to use my CVA 45 cal Optima Pro and 50 cal Hunter Bolt and will not have any concerns about them blowing up on me.

FWIW, here's the recall notice from CVA's website.

In August 1997 CVA implemented a Voluntary Recall of In-Line rifle models with serial numbers ending in -95 and -96. If you have a CVA In-Line model with such a serial number, DO NOT USE OR ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO USE THE GUN. If you have one of these rifles, please call CVA immediately at 770-449-4687 for complete details and a free replacement gun. Example serial numbers: 61-13-XXXXXX-95 or 61-13-XXXXXX-96.

In May 1999 Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and now operates under the trade name of Connecticut Valley Arms and/or CVA. Any claims relating to the above described Voluntary Recall should be addressed to Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., not Blackpowder Products, Inc. Blackpowder Products, Inc. assumes no liability for any products manufactured prior to January 1, 1998.

richracer1

Reaction score
And, Blackhorn 209 is not recommended for the CVA or Winchester muzzleloader.
May I ask where you got this info? Now I can't use BH209 in my 45 cal due to they provide no data for 45 cals, and my breech plug on my 50 cal is the one listed as not reccomended. I did not find any info on the BH209 website in regards to recommendations of what in-line rifles to use or not use BH209 in.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
My winchester Apex, made by CVA, listed only Pyrodex at 100 grains as acceptable propellant. They specifically excluded 777 as too energetic. This was prior to the introduction of BH 209 which is even more so. I got the information re: CVA second hand from an owner with regards to 777 and American Pioneer (Shockey's Gold) as not recommended.

That is good to hear they responded to problems and I was not aware of the year of manufacture being so specific.

troyandmarsha

Reaction score
subfan: i have one

i bought it in october and was finally able to shoot it a couple of weeks ago on open sights...came with a scope and i will be shooting it in for the next few sundays with the do-it-yer-selfer installed scope.

50 cal
thumbhole camo
stainless fluted barrel... i like the look
CVA Accura with bergara barrel

i don't know enough yet to state how accurate or inaccurate it is... i haven't even decided which projectile to use yet...shooting hornady great plains 385 grains bec. they're cheaper. all the printed material says i need to be shooting "power belts" thru it... we'll see.

my shots here in western PA are in thicker cover...rarely a shot over 70 yards where i hunt. i didn't buy it to shoot holes thru the center of a half dollar at 200 yards ... i like the thumbhole stock, 209 primer break action style. tried using the vari-flame rifle primer setup, got fancy with it and loaded them using an alternate method and the dang thangs would fire... guess i should keep it simple and use the tools that came with it :lol bashing sign: ... oh well...

bought the 209 winchester primers for in-lines...i look forward to using them during the next few sundays.... from what i've read the 209 shotshell primers are over-kill. i read somewhere (the internet) where a guy shot his ramrod out of his barrel with a 209 primer... can you imagine a guy sticking his ramrod in for a trial run like that? (think i might have to try that when no one is looking though... ) :halo:

i'm very early in the process of figuring out what my CVA Accura likes and how it does. but i've decided it will be my all season deer rifle.... i like the smoke and the thought of hitting the deer with a bullet the size of a baseball, er i mean golf ball...well, er a ... big bullet. i'll be mostly walking around to push deer for my daughters :help: for the next 10 years. like i said, i like the smoke, the big punch and the one-shot-one-kill challenge.

noonesperfect

Reaction score
I also have the Winchester Apex (manufactured in 2003 according to the serial #). The manual that came with the gun states that the following are approved propellants:

A. Authentic FFG black powder
B. Pyrodex brand blackpowder substitute (RS or Select) and Pyrodex Pellets
C. Triple 7 blackpowder substitute and Triple 7 pellets
D. Clean Shot (Pioneer Powder Co.) brand blackpowder substitute and Clean Shot Pelletized Powder
E. Clear Shot brand blackpowder substitute

Minimum load for a .50 is 50 grains, 100-130 grains is recommended, and 150 grains of powder is the maximum load. For a .45, the recommended load is 90-120 grains. The minimum and maximum are the same as for the .50.

I have no idea how this relates to the BH209, but I hope it helps.

brad

My winchester Apex, made by CVA, listed only Pyrodex at 100 grains as acceptable propellant. They specifically excluded 777 as too energetic. This was prior to the introduction of BH 209 which is even more so. I got the information re: CVA second hand from an owner with regards to 777 and American Pioneer (Shockey's Gold) as not recommended.

That is good to hear they responded to problems and I was not aware of the year of manufacture being so specific.

talbro94565

Reaction score
cva as a recall on all 1995 and 1996 apollo 45 and 50 cal in line i had one and had shoot it for more years then i could talk about and never and a problem . some of the problem out there with these rifle are the breech plug comes lose and the bolts blow back into youur face this is mostly to over loading i sent mine back to then and they sent me a knew 50 cal optima break barrel just go to there web site

subfan

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on an Accura. Should have it Wednesday. The Omega will come off the Bighorn and put on the Accura. Reports have been positive on the Accura so I jumped at it when I found one on sale. Saw the Accura V2 at the SHOT Show. The V2 has the speed breech plug and rubber inserts on the stock. Those features I do not need.

builder

Reaction score
I don't own one myself,but quite a few people over at the" huntingnet.com" site do and rave about them and the bergera barrels they now come standard with.i recently bought the T/C triumph and couldn't be happier.good luck and have fun.

Gander

Reaction score
Love my Accura. Most accurate, easy to use and clean rifle i have owned.

I just got some blackhorn209 and fired 6 shots. Love it! Going to shoot more tomorrow at 100 yards this time.

Also owned a Winchester Apex .45 Loved that rifle! 1" @ 100 yards with 275gr powerbelts or a paper patched 385gr conical.

Where the heck do you get your info on that the winchester can not shoot blackhorn209, T7, APP-JSG??

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Just order a cva Accura had to sell a bunch of stuff that was just not being use. I did a lot of research and the new brergarra barrels is supposed to be the best. We shall see.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom