CWA and Federal Duck Stamps Availability

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Just an FYI regarding the availability of the Fed stamp....

I recommend getting your Fed stamp direct from CWA. No standing in any lines, and you can 'add a few bucks to go toward the ducks'.

CWA's duck stamp mailer which goes out to members is almost done.

Probably be another week or so for the mailer and to update their online site for purchases.

Thanks CWA for making this simple and easy every year.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, i do not want to support CDW, i want to support local mom/pop fishing/gun shop. I'll buy from them.

mischief209

Reaction score
I talked to the lady at their office regarding me not receiving my upland validation and she said the 2015 stamps should be shipping out this week

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Nope, i do not want to support CDW, i want to support local mom/pop fishing/gun shop. I'll buy from them.
Curious... What's your beef with CWA?

PS: I agree to support local shops. Buying just a Fed stamp won't support them unless you also buy more items at the same time. They are not making money off selling a face value stamp alone.

Last edited:

cjack

Reaction score
I think JustGuy was referring to California Department of Fish and Wildlife and not California Waterfowl Association but I could be wrong. CWA is a great conservation organization and I support them when I can.

cjack

Reaction score
I agree totally and the CDW does a very good job for the most part are they perfect no but is anyone?? Have to look at the big picture in what they do not just what annoys a few... I personally think they do a good job overall...
Do you mean CDFW? I agree, they have to deal with a very negative political environment in this State and make the best of a bad situation. For the most part I believe that our wildlife officers do a great job too considering the bureaucracy they have to deal with.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
If he meant DFW, then it doesn't makes sense. He said he didn't want to support.... And DFW gets all funds from stamps, regardless of who sells the stamp

So, I think he did mean CWA.

Maybe he will clarify. And if he did mean CWA, I'd love to know the 'beef' he has with them. Maybe we can discuss.

Rick
Life member CWA

cjack

Reaction score
Actually, 98 cents out of every dollar raised from the "Federal Duck Stamp" goes directly to the "U.S. Department of Interior" for the purchase and leasing of land for "National Wildlife Refuges"

Where as the "California State Duck Stamp" funds go to the CDFW which go into a "State Duck Stamp Account". Funds are used for projects approved by the "California Fish and Game Commission"

Either way no money goes to either the Mom and Pop stores or to CWA for the sale of either State or Federal stamps with the exception of "the few bucks extra" that CWA charges and I can not find information which will clarify where this extra money goes. Perhaps you can direct me to information on expenditure of these extra CWA funds, Duck Fan. I would hope it goes toward "Habitat Work"

If he meant DFW, then it doesn't makes sense. He said he didn't want to support.... And DFW gets all funds from stamps, regardless of who sells the stamp

So, I think he did mean CWA.

Maybe he will clarify. And if he did mean CWA, I'd love to know the 'beef' he has with them. Maybe we can discuss.

Rick
Life member CWA

Last edited:

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Cjack, thanks for correcting me. I try to keep up on 5 hunter sites and answer a lot of PMs and e mails, and when it was mentioned the poster might have been talking about DFW, my old brain starting thinking ca duck stamp...and so that is why I said the money goes to the state, not to the mom and pop, CWA, etc.

Obviously, this thread was about the federal stamp and yes, the feds get that money. (brain freeze on my part)

As far as the comment on 'extra bucks' to CWA: The small amount that CWA adds to the Fed stamps purchased covers the admin costs of getting them and mailing them out as I understand it.

The 'extra' bucks I was referring are those dollars that a person buying the fed stamp can chose to add to the order from CWA.

As far as where those dollars go that a person might want to add (not required), I don't know if they are earmarked to just habitat, as CWA has so many worthy projects and programs.

From CWA:

Distribution of all funds received:

87% Habitat Programs Plus... (see below for 2 paragraphs on where it is used)
10% Fundraising and Development
3% - Admin Costs

CWA acts as good stewards of your gifts and has achieved some unbelievable accomplishments in recent years including, the Hunt Program (offering hunt opportunities to members on private lands), the Wood Duck Program (hatching more than 716,000 ducklings to date), AND completing more than 1,300 land projects (enhancing and restoring more than 465,000 acres).
An astonishing eighty-seven cents of each dollar donated goes directly to programs and conservation! PLUS, California Waterfowl effectively leverages funds raised through private donations; for every dollar contributed CWA can obtain $20 or more in matching funds.

Hope that helps. Feel free to contact CWA if you need more. Great people and very open about things. AND THANKS for correcting my misstatement.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Also, they just opened up the ONLINE sales for Fed stamps and they give you an opportunity to donate an additional $50 and get a Banded Max 5 Camo CWA Blind Bag. Not required...just offered

https://www.calwaterfowl.org/duck-stamps

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Ahhh ok but what is CDW??

Mom and pops don't sell federal stamps....
7mallard, you are again with your replays... if they dont, where i buy them each year, as well as all my hunting and fishing licences....

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Curious... What's your beef with CWA?
CDFW??? my experiance!!! 90% of contacts with them only frustration and waste of time.. please note, i never broke the law, however has 2 ruined bear hunts and 2 times was given tickets and had to spent time in courts because of your "knowledgeable" wardens. Both times cases were immediately dismissed

PS: I agree to support local shops. Buying just a Fed stamp won't support them unless you also buy more items at the same time. They are not making money off selling a face value stamp alone.
I do not want to think what they make money on or not, i just tale ALL my business which they can handle to them. That is it.
You can discuss it further with 7mallards(aka. luv2hunt55) those issues, i'm pretty sure he has a lot what to say and also to make 1,000 of unwarranted statements...

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
I think JustGuy was referring to California Department of Fish and Wildlife and not California Waterfowl Association but I could be wrong. CWA is a great conservation organization and I support them when I can.
Yes, i was referring to previously known DFG. California Waterfowl Association is great as it can be.
And i understand that buying licences and tags supports department of fish and wilderness, i do not have a choice if i want to hunt in CA, however, i want to make all affords on my way to support local businesses. I know it is pennies, but panniers make dollars

Last edited:

cjack

Reaction score
Thank you Duck Fan for the Information on CWA funds. I have been a member since I first became aware of them and started hunting their properties few years back.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Thanks Justguy,

Supporting local shops is great. Could not agree more with you on that!

And the bad experiences you have had with the state wardens (maybe Fed wardens too), I can understanding your frustrations.

You said you had to spend time in court because of "your 'knowledgeable wardens'. Not sure what you meant by 'your'. Maybe you think I work for the state? (I do not).

Anyway, the point I would make is that I too would be upset if I had to go to court and the issues were always dismissed. I agree with you.

I hope you were able to address the unwarranted actions on their part by contacting the Director of CDFW or the maybe a call to the Law Enforcement branch and submitting a complaint. If there are LEs not trained and are issuing tickets because they don't know the law (which is what I think you are saying)....then they need higher ups to know.

And congratulations on getting those 2 dismissed. It can be hard to do that when the officer shows up and presents his/her 'case'. Judges typically side with them. They must have really been off on the law. Well done.

Would love to know what they were writing you up for. And were they new or old timers.

Last edited:

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Thank you Duck Fan for the Information on CWA funds. I have been a member since I first became aware of them and started hunting their properties few years back.
They keep adding more opportunities each year for youth and adults. And, the youth program is top notch. I had the pleasure of being a camp dad at a hunter education camp for a few days last summer. Volunteering for that camp showed me just how much CWA cares about getting youth and new hunters into the sport.

No organization is perfect - after all, its made up of human beings - ha

But, the dedication to water fowling in CA is amazing.

If you have not seen it yet, check out the "Fowl Life with Chad Belding" TV show on the Outdoor Channel this past week. I think the episode was named -The Future'. Girl mouth calls ducks and geese. She is Incredible calling specks. The show Highlights CWA - just as it did the prior week and a show last year. TRULY makes me proud to be a Life member

Good Luck this season!

Last edited:

cjack

Reaction score
Saw it! Good luck to you as well this season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest Posts

Top Bottom