CWA Mag

Duck Fan

Reaction score
I got my CWA mag today and on page 6 there is a short story about the "range" of Hevi Shot.  It includes a chart with the ranges that you can get with this shot and still "pierce human skin when fired from a shotgun at a muzzle velocity of 1,350 feet per second".

The numbers include

# 2 shot - 216 yards
# 1 shot - 230 yards
# BB shot - 258 yards

Obviously, no one is taking shots at these distances (are they?), but to highlight that these Hevi Shot shells can "pierce human skin" at these ranges seems like they could send a message to some that you can use these shot shells and really go after the HIGH birds.  And isn't that what many have complained about?

Was wondering how others felt about that?  

Just a question.

(Edited by Duck Fan at 10:01 pm on Dec. 19, 2001)

spoonie

Reaction score
My kent loads at 3" #2  1 1`8 ounce load are firing at 1550 feet per sec. They by far the best I have shot. Especially if your quick on shouldering that gun..Try em, you`ll like em...

O

outdoorsman

Spoonie.........Have to agree with you, Kent shells are great.  Fast, hard hitting , and you can't beat the price.  They also shoot cleaner than most.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
Only got to shoot 1 box of the Faststeel and really didn't get a good feel for it.  Maybe if I had more ducks to pass shoot at I'd feel better about them.  Sure the 20-30 yard shots were no problem but most of my shots seem to be slightly farther.  If it weren't for Hevi being about $2 a shot I'd be able to relax enough to honestly try them.  I've still got one of two boxes of Bismuth I'd bought over 4 years ago.

Orygun

Reaction score
I thought it was an appropriate addition.  I wouldn't worry too much about someone trying to tee off on a bird that high.  It would take me a box or two just to figure out the bloody lead.  It is nice to know that the shot could hurt at that distance.

Would be nice to shoot Hevi Shot. I'll stick with my Estate #3s.  I like the way they don't leave unburned powder flakes in the barrel and sem to do just fine as long as I can put pellets on the bird..

Brent

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
I've bought 1 box of Hevi shot and have taken 2 geese with 5 shots. I don't shoot any higher than 40 yds but it drops them instead of crippling them.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Duck Fan,

I agree with your point, but I think the value of posting those specs is that maybe (just maybe) some of these dummies who think nothing of leveling off across the pond will think twice when there's another hunter over there.  

It actually sounds a little dangerous to use this stuff on the crowded refuges.  I wonder how long it'll be before injury statistics start popping up.

Fubar

Reaction score
I wonder if Hevi shot or any of the other non-toxic shot we have are any more dangerous than the lead we used to shoot? The bottom line is you have to be careful, no matter what you are shooting.             Fubar

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Where do I order some ?
Some here have seen the carnige I can extract from ducks and geese with steele.
God only knows what i can do with hevi-shot.
5 to 8 shots and I'll have the lead down and birds will die from the fall alone!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Speckmisser - I agree...having more info about the shot we use is a good thing.  When I wrote my original post on this it was because I get concerned as I see a lot of shots taken from hunters that seem not to understand distances or understand what various shot sizes and loads can and can not do.  There are many hunter that do understand these things and can make incredible shots.

But I have also witnessed countless crips sent on a 200 yard plunge...and never to be found because a hunter thinks he can reach to " the sky".....AND does not understand his limitations or abilities.

EA Hunt - YOU are 'da man!!!!!  I witnessed first hand what you can do and I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED after today.  Words can not describe it.  You are proof that an experienced hunter that knows his abilities and his shot selection can make great shots.  

And, you don't need 6-8 shots to get the lead down.  It only took 3 today........  I bow to the master.....

feelinducky

Reaction score
I want to know how they figured out it will pierce skin at those yardages?  I feel bad for the poor sucker that had to stand out there and take the punishment. LOL

Latest Posts

Top Bottom