CWA President's Article

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
In the current CWA magazine the President states he has received alot of letters etc. blaming this organization for a poor waterfowl season. He goes on to point out many contributing factors such as poor weather conditions and the vast amount of rot water. I think we can all agree with his conclusions of "why" a poor season. It seems unreal that anyone blames the CWA for a poor season . In fact, I have never read any comments on this board blaming the CWA.
But, some of us will blame the CWA if they adopt a policy to reduce shoot days below the USF&WS allowance as part of thier anit-moto movement. Reduce limits on mallards if there is a problem so we can keep marginal hunters interested.

tommyo

Reaction score
right - what happened to the CWA public forum that was to be proposed for the purpose of discussing rot water/poor hunting?  This could be most helpful if CWA promoted understanding betweeen the hunting and farming community.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
What are we to beleive.

I read in the chronical Thursday that fly over counts this spring are at their highest level in 25 years.

Yet others say the Ca. population is way down. Go figure

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
EA, that was great news in the Thursday Cronicle. All hunters should be excited about the possibilities for next season. I'm also wondering why some higher-ups in the CWA are predicting a doomsday scenerio for this States waterfowl. It seems they are obsessed with the motoduck debate.
Tommyo, I really don't think the CWA called for the special forum on "rot" water. I beleive it was just Riley once again free lancing trying to look good to his buddies. Remember the 90yd.speck shot..

tommyo

Reaction score
Is this Riley a free lancer or the same Mike Riley that is the Treasurer of CWA?  If the latter is true, I am chagrined that an officer would be so irresponsible as to recklessly slant and inflame topics as controversial as robo-duck and rot-water while contravening the official positions of his organization.  Not to mention the tasteless bashing of other organizations.

Oh well - being not a babe in the woods - there are a few warts on us all. I hope we all get everything we want for our kids and get out of their way so they can fix it in their time.

jerry d

Reaction score
Entirely ridiculous to blame any organization for the results of a season they have entirely no control over. Makes one wonder what goes on in some people's head.

If I remember correctly, Mike Riley said a location for the meeting had been found and a date would be announced later.

I believe he mentioned a university in Sacremento.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Riley said he was going to provide some information about the "rot" forum next Monday or Tuesday. That was about a month ago. Don't worrry he will have an excuse. Probably say the DFG moto meetings recently scheduled are also "rot" water meetings.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Scank, you're nothing but a troublemaker with an axe to grind against the CWA and Mike Riley. Mike puts in more time, work and his own money in a month than you do in a decade. You call Mike out on every single issue, but I've seen numerous questions asked of you and you frequently don't respond. Put up or shutup.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Greenhead, I'm justing telling it like it is. Read Riley's post and reply dated March 22nd. Next
Tuesday was a month ago.
I'm glad you admire this gentleman even though he tries to justify 95 yd. shots. If you have a junior hunter are you going to teach him it's " sometimes" O.K. to shoot high.
I don't know why the President of the CWA is receiving letters blaming his organization for a poor season. Why blame any organization, it was just too much water and no weather. Maybe he wrote the article to prepare us for next season. Even though the paper stated that the spring count was at a 25 year high,the "moto" obsessed CWA will probably find themselves backed into a corner and have to accept a shorter season and a mallard restriction. All because of the "moto" thing.
Greenhead, ask and you shall receive.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Scank, like always, you ducked the question. What have you done for the ducks? I know you're a rice farmer and you hunt your own private marsh because you've told us that. You criticize everything the CWA and DU do, but what have you done?

Have you let kids on your marsh during the junior hunt? How about donated a hunt on your place for a DU or CWA dinner? Better yet, have you worked at any refuge clean up days, helped build a handicap blind or kicked in some money to help fund a study or two? I think the answer is no to all of the above, because if you did/have, you would have talked about it.  

What I really don't understand about you is why you even fool around on these hunting boards. These boards are full of refuge hunters, not rice farmers. During hunting season you do nothing but ridicule refuge hunters with snappy replies like "Sure glad I don't hunt refuges..." Well, I'm glad you don't hunt them either.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Greenhead, old thin skinned buddy. Are you still going to support your CWA pals when they have to recommend a shorter season to save face when the moto is not outlawed.
I always have juniors hunt during thier special season. I have two handicapped blinds. You're right, I don't clean-up the refuges. And, I don't donate shoots to the CWA or DU. With my luck I would probably have a refuge shooter win the donated hunt. Have fun and stay cool.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
A question - is it CWA's position that the moto type decoy be banned?  Or is that the opinion of some of their members?

If this is their position, have they stated that position somewhere (conference meeting minutes, past publications, etc).

Jay

Reaction score
Gee whiz Scank, what's with looking down your nose at "refuge hunters"?

What would you suggest for those of us who are not fortunate enough to have our own private marsh? So I hunt public lands what exactly does that mean?

The trap is set.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Scank-
I don't believe that you have handicap blinds and I'd be surprised if you let juniors on during their special "Season," as you called it. The reason I don't believe you is because I've been reading your tired, poison-pen writing for far too long.

In your own words when the old F&G page was up: you have a private marsh, you rest it 4-5 days a week, you don't allow anybody to hunt it but friends or family, and you dislike refuges and refuge hunters. Now, you say you have two handicap blinds and let juniors on. So, did you mistate the truth back then or on this thread? Either way, your credibility is zilch.

Jay

Reaction score
"If they have no mallards, let them shoot spoonies."

Remember the Bastille!

Darth  

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Greenhead, what do you do? Do you provide a donated hunt for the CWA, do you let kids hunt on your place, do you provide year long habitat for waterfowl. Or, do you pick up shell casings once a year at your favorite refuge. Sad
Your buddy Riley is the one who down talks Duck's Unlimited not me.(another question answered)
Jay, eliminate hunting on the refuges. Years ago, excepting Grey Lodge, all refuges were closed(sanctuary). The money paid for hunting at refuges does not even cover the cost of hiring one night attendant. Refuge hunting is a money looser.

Greenhead

Reaction score
A Scank quote: "Eliminate hunting from refuges." Thanks for showing your true colors, Scank. You see, from reading your sensless drivel for a long time now, I knew what your opinion was of refuges and refuge hunters. It just took a little doing to get you to restate them here.

What do I do, you ask? Here's a little: I run my own woodduck project, I take juniors out every year, I payed for, built and installed honker nesting platforms up near Oroville, I've built wildlife guzzlers in the desert, and I've helped with banding birds, and that's just a start. And, unlike you and most importantly, I truly cares what happens to the ducks and on the refuges.

As for the year-round habitat you provide and the junior hunts you allow, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that your Dad provides them?

As for your insane comment that refuges fees won't even pay for the cost of one night attendant, do a little math. During the hunting season, Grey Lodge takes in between $10,000 and 12,000 a week. Amortize that out over the length of the season and you'll see just how stupid your comments are. Further more, do a little research and see just how many ressie applications were sent in by hunters at a cost of $1 each, and you'll realize even more that you rice farmers should stick to driving tractors and not doing math.

Jay

Reaction score
Scank, I don't think you answered the question: What's with looking down your nose at "refuge hunters"?

Are you implying that since the money charged does not cover the expense, refuge hunters are "free-loaders" who are getting a privilege at other people's expense?

If that's what you're saying I'd agree that the situation should be fixed. My suggestion would be to cut  expenses. I see no reason why the DFG should have to pay somebody to sleep at the check-stations so that guys can get numbers at any time of the night. I also see no reason why it takes four DFG employees to check people in in the mornings. "Smart Card" hunting licenses could solve a lot of this...... swipe your card, pay your fees, go hunt.

Speaking of "free rides" Scank, I'd like to hear your comments on:

1. Farmers paying far less for water than the cost of building & maintaining the dams and canals to deliver the water.
2. Farmers receiving crop subsidies to make non-profitable crops artificially profitable.
3. Federal loans for farmers at below market interest rates.  

In my opinion (and it's uneducated since I'm not a farmer) this gives the appearance of "farmers on the dole".

Educate me Scank.        

(Edited by Jay at 3:37 pm on April 23, 2001)

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Ah Scank you're just mad at me because I found the program that paid for rot water after you said it didn't exist.  CWA has as of last week booked the Alumni Center at Sac State for Saturday June 16th from 10 am -2 pm for the hunters forum.  We are currently in the process of filling the panel.  As far as moto duck is concerned CWA has not given a organizational stance other than to say they are waiting for all the data to come in before formal taking a position.  CWA's opinion will probably be formed by member input, which from last years magazine survey was about 4 to 1 in favor of longer seasons over moto.  Given what options we have a moto ban would give you a longer season not shorten it.  So Scank once again your logic has more holes than swiss cheese.   But he11, shooting from the hip seems to be your MO anyhow.  

Top Bottom