CWD Ground Zero

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Got back from a trip to Wisconsin this past week. Just traveled some of the not-so-well beaten paths through the countryside and wound up going through Mt. Horeb. The whole area's superb farm country and looks like a farmland deer hunter's dream come true. While stopped to refuel, I saw a local Veterinarian at the next pump. I couldn't help but ask this expert his opinion of the CWD crisis. He thinks they need to nuke 'em all! Then recanted and said that at the very least it should be turned over to the National Guard. The idea of Marksmen taking orders would be safer than turning the eradication over to anyone that could tote a gun. There wouldn't be a manpower shortage and they could coordinate a sweep of an area more efficiently than hunters could. Lot's of Guardsmen are hunters so maybe this would be a good fit. They may have waited too long because of the folage and now the corn getting taller will make it impossible to do the job effectively. By now their herd has increased due to the fawns on the ground and growing, so there's even more that need to be eliminated. He said he felt like this area is in a state of overpopulation due to the fact that it's dangerous to travel in some areas at dusk because the deer are everywhere.You could read real concern on his face when he talked about the uncertainty of the spread to domestic livestock and possibly people. I gathered from his tone that he feels like the State is still too lax in their handling of this.
  I don't think I could have stumbled onto a better source of expert, local, grassroots opinion than someone who makes his living regularly dealing with injured or sick animals. Still this is just one man's remarks and there may be other experts out there that don't share his beliefs on how to handle this. That's what's causing the mixed prognosis on whether or not enough is being done or if there's too much overreaction already. No one seems to have the definitive answer.        

StringShooter

Reaction score
Your right, there is now definitive answer. The sad thing is, your in Ohio and I am in Missouri...you know it's only a matter of time before we are faced with this problem.

It's gonna get much worse before it gets any better.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom