CYA Question

YvettesSherpa

Reaction score
If I'm putting this in the wrong section please move it. I have been reading the regs and I won't to make sure I understand something correctly. I get from the regs that the largest shot size I can use from a shotgun for deer is 00 buck. I will be hunting in a area that will not allow a rifle or slug. I'm from back east and am used to shooting 000 buck. If my understanding is correct please let me know. I have already emailed fish and wildlife but have not heard anything back. Thanks for your help.

#1Predator

Reaction score
You are correct if you are hunting outside of the Condor Zone. Unfortunately, once the new non-lead regulations take affect, shotgun hunting for deer in California will end since non-lead slugs or buckshot aren't available.

§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(d) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

Go to this link for the entire section:

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#353

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Get a $100 breach type muzzleloader and some Thor brass bullets...good to go!

Last edited:

inchr48

Reaction score
Aren't the Remington and Federal loaded solid copper slugs OK'd in CA?

Common Sense

Reaction score
I think in CA buckshot can only be used in areas that rifles or slugs are forbidden.

#1Predator

Reaction score
Aren't the Remington and Federal loaded solid copper slugs OK'd in CA?
My mistake. Yes, both have been approved. In addition, Federal "Vital Shock, Buckshot High Density" has been recently approved. This is a new 2 3/4" 9 pellet, 00 buckshot made of tungsten alloy with 1,600 FPS at the muzzle. I've seen it advertised for around $3.00/round, $15.00 for a box of 5 shells.

Top Bottom