CZ 550 vs Ruger Hawkeye

cubkicker

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing either a CZ 550 or new Ruger Hawkeye M77 in 30-06. Will use for whitetails and antelope. Seeking any experience or advise on either gun. Looking for dependable, accurate, and practicle field gun. I like the heritage of the Ruger and the craftsmanship and ss trigger of the CZ. Anxious to see what the forum thinks.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing (but with the magnum versions). It was between the Ruger African Hawkeye, Alaskan and the CZ. I played with all of them for a while and the Shop owner was pushing the Ruger on me, but I bought the CZ.

It just felt better. The Ruger was lighter but the CZ just seemed like it was made better. The sights are better and the trigger and action seemed smoother. It was my 3rd CZ gun and I have never had a problem with any of them before. (I also never had a problem with a Ruger). Tough choice.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
And if you like hair triggers, you like the SS on the CZ. I dont think I will use it thou. That thing is light!

BigSwad

Reaction score
I like the CZ's as well. Solid built gun and just no issues. My buddy had one in 6.5x55 and I have a safari magnum. Nice wood, but I will say they may be just a tad heavier. And as bpnclark pointed out, that set trigger is a hair trigger if you are into that. A little too light for me.

The Ruger is a good rifle too, but I won't give up my CZ Safari Magnum in .375 H&H for a Hawkeye.

yankeejim

Reaction score
I have had a CZ 550 FS (Mannlicher stock) in 6.5 Swede for about 5 years & love it. I particularly like the single set trigger (which is adjustable, according to the directions). With the SS trigger, you can choose between a normal & lighter trigger pull.
I also have an older Ruger Mod 77 & prefer the CZ.

Cheers,

YJ

Latest Posts

Top Bottom