D-11 Mountain Lion

cjack

Reaction score
Caught this cat on a trail camera that I have set up at one of my deer hunting spots in the Angeles National Forest. I have been out the regularly during the archery season and this picture was taken at 8:30am. I'm glad I haven't bumped into this big guy yet! Archery season ends tomorrow but I will head back up here with my bow when the general season opens. In the meantime I will be trying to fill my D7 gun tag. Be safe out there!!20190928_114130.jpg

greenhead bower

Reaction score
I once check a camera on my dads property in Oregon right at dark. The last pic was a cat then a pic of me. Talk about freaked out

jbao

Reaction score
That is so cool! Always see their prints in the road but never seen a glimpse of one doing it's thing. I should get some trail cams

TheGDog

Reaction score
Dayum! He looks all kindsa yoked! Look at all the separate muscles in that arm!

There's a coyote I've seen in person 3 times now around my spot in D15 I've been sitting on. I'm figuring he's the reason I've only seen a Doe and her Fawn at 30yds and that was it. Saw him twice that same day they passed by.

There's this nice looking 3x2 forky I've caught on the cam twice in recent weeks but it was both times at like 4:30am, never during daylight.
EK000068.JPG

cjack

Reaction score
The cat came back the next day so it looks like he's found a reason to hang out and maybe a reason for me not to. With D-11 closed until the General season opener on October 12th I will check on activity a day or so before then and see if it looks like a promising and safe place for me to hunt with my bow again. I was informed by a local Game Warden that it is now legal to carry a side arm for protection while bow hunting in California for everything EXCEPT deer. ???? WTH?

P304X4

Reaction score
"I was informed by a local Game Warden that it is now legal to carry a side arm for protection while bow hunting in California for everything EXCEPT deer. ???? WTH?"

Everyone knows Bambi would never try to run an antler into your rib cage or try to trample you......lol

TheGDog

Reaction score
Regarding that whole thing, why wouldn't they then at least say you can carry only a certain barrel length and under or certain caliber and under? You figure if the barrel length makes it so they can't shoot accurately past a certain distance, similar to that bow which is already in their hands. Then cool! They got *something* to ward off an animal that's too close, but yet not exactly something you'd be likely inclined to take pot shots at game with.

jbao

Reaction score
Might be subjective, but I've never felt the need to carry a sidearm while bowhunting.

I think this is a misrepresentation of the law in that its still illegal to carry a firearm while under an archery tag as always. If you're bowhunting with an archery-specific tag (deer), then you cannot have a firearm on you.

It's now not illegal to hunt (bear or bobcat or coyote) with archery equipment, and have a sidearm on your person. If you were hunting bear or bobcat or coyote, you could do so with a rifle as there's no archery specific season, so carrying bow and a sidearm is more of a self-imposed limitation than using a rifle.

Common Sense

Reaction score
When I go to town I carry a handgun. Hunting with a bow or firearm, I don’t carry. I feel a need in the city, but not in the woods.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom