D-19 Hunting

CaptainThor

Reaction score
I am working on Scouting D-19 and as I am new to the area I was hoping that people might be able to give me some ideas and tell me if there are any access issues to look out for?

I have scouted Santiago Peak, Trabuco Canyon, and Holy Jim Canyon thus far...any help would be appreciated.

Thor

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
CaptainThor-

Welcome!

Don't get overly excited. About 1/3 of the SBNF lands in D19 have already been closed due to high fire danger.

You might stand a chance if you plan on bow hunting D-19, but as for rifle season-- the prospects of having an open season are slim to nil.

Unless we start getting some good rainfall out of the desert, I would not expect the forest to be open.

Last year it actually snowed one week before closing of deer season. Did they reopen the forest? No. Not until 4 days after deer season had closed.

D16 might be a better choice. The rangers that run that USFS district are not not nearly as freaky as Putz Boy that runs SBNF.

Look around Lake Hemet. Also consult the USFS map and check out the springs. Water is the key to life.

As for me, my favorite area has already been shut down due to the closure. I now wil have to be doing some scouting in new areas that will hopefully remain out of the closure area for at least bow season. I will be using the advice I have given you to locate a new area.

In my favorite area I had come across an unmarked (on the map) spring. I will be looking for the same thing this time around.

Good Luck!!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Cptn Thor, I think the area you mentioned are in the Cleveland Nat Forest portion of D15. Check your map.

sportyg

Reaction score
D-19 is a hard hunt.. But deer are in there if you know where to look..

Top Bottom