D-370 Back in the woods

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Well I couldn't stand it any more and had to get my D-370 back in the woods. Braved the ticks and chiggers and went to where I have a mineral block, and previously was putting corn out. Started looking for my mineral block, and low and behold, Its only about 1/4 inch thick now, and was on the ground beside the stump I had it on. Whole area was literally chopped up with deer tracks.

Previously I had gotten 3 different bucks, and now I'm getting excited. Will switch out the card and batterys friday evening, or saterday morning. Hope my scent doesn't spook um, and that I get some fawns. Already found 3 ticks.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
You're a brave one HH. Here it's just rattlesnakes, no chiggers and the ticks aren't bad. I know Missouri would be the same as Arkansas about now. Poison Ivy too.

davered1

Reaction score
What the hell is a CHIGGER?

Apparently they don't like CANADA?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Dave, they are like a microscopic red tick that bores into the skin by a hair folical. You can't see um til its too late and you have a red bump or welt that ICHES LIKE FIRE! They also seem to travel in packs of about a million.

youngtrout

Reaction score
Hey Davered1, I am from CO, and everytime I go to Texas to hunt pigs I manage to get a few chiggers, usually around around the sockline.  Now I have never seen one one those damn things but to make a long story short they burrow into your skin and set up shop, yes they live under your skin and the wound will not heal.     A dab of nail polish over the wound will do the trick (cut off the air supply)    But it just creeps me out!                   I'll just stick to the cooler climates!!

gizz

Reaction score
I've got 2 chigger bites right now and they ich so bad they hurt! The one around my sock line is a classic chigger welt. The other is on my arm and it's starting to scab up. Never heard of the nail polish thing, maybe i'll go give it a try.

vman

Reaction score
well for me its poision ivy.  I seem to be a magnet for it.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
The like the belt line around your waist too.  Just catch them before they start heading south or your in real trouble.

Nail polish worked for me.  Weed wacking tall grass when we first moved into our house is where I got mine.  Yes, I caught them before the southerly migration.

Todd

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I used to get ho-mode lye soap from Grandma, it seemed to knock the socks off the chiggers (man, don't wash your hair with the soap tho, unless you want frizzles about 2 months, he he)  Grandma passed away years ago but now I have - PERMANONE -

"Packs of a Million"  ha ha ha ha ha ha      so true...........

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
hey dave, think about the size of a very small deer tick, now divide that by 1000 and you have the size of a chigger.  on the sock line, waist line, arms they don't care where they get dinner.....wait till you get one on the sensitive areas hehe.  Under a microscope they look like a very small burr of fur with two huge teeth lol.  If you do get one on you, you can sterilize the sharpest needle that you can find and rake the creature from hell off of his mound if you have steady hands and real tolerance of pain.  Commo now be a man hehe, no crying out in pain etc.  nail polish does work but the best way I've found to to be preventive in keeping them off of you.  stuff your pants leg inside your boots, spray your pants legs with some insect spray etc. and for your sake "DON'T" sit down on a mossy log WOW!  Got to be a million of them on that log hehe!
bat

Bow Runner

Reaction score
the only things that we have that travels in packs up here is the deer flys.  still i would rather have them then something that burrows into my skin.

Ticks are real bad up here in the north woods.  If I come out of the woods with less than 5 ticks on me it is a great day.  

They aren't so bad now but in the spring wow.   I have already counted 28 on me at one time.

reminds me of homeschooled kid who used to walk out in the woods with shorts on.  when he came out of the woods his legs were always covered in ticks.  there had to be at least 60+ on him.  he would just flick them off and go in the house.

treestandman2

Reaction score
HH,
  Was out this week and sprayed for ticks and seems to keep them and chiggers away but deer flies drove us crazy.  

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I know you guys are going to hammer me for this but I am a Discover nut and they had a special on biting insects some time back.

It is a misnomer that chiggers burrow under the skin.  They actually do not eat blood but the cell flood in the skin.

They have an enzyme in their mouth floods that irrate the skin.  Most people think they stay with you because the bite marks seem to keep coming but it actually takes 24 hours or so for the body to react to the chigger bite and thus you think they are still biting you.  Covering the bite helps keep air from the bite like a cut or scrape from paper but that is about all.  The Chigger is long gone by the time you scratch.  It is his first larva stage and he needs the protein to move on to the next stage.

I found an article for those interested that helps explain this better.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question488.htm

I have about a million bites on my ankles now.  We have way to many of these suckers.  The ticks seem to been eaten up by the ants.  Now we just have chiggers.  I remember when we just had ticks.

OK I am done.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
AEH....

That is funny!!!!!!! With the way things are today, it is definately good to be politically correct.

ToddP---Gizz--do we have chigro's here in PA? I have never been bit by one, I knew they had them down south, but I didn't realize we had them up here???????

kmitch

Reaction score
We hunt NW Louisiana. I am suprised we have few problems with the ticks or chiggers. I grew up in Mississippi and we had a BUNCH! I thought I had the fire ants to thank for the demise of the biting insects. Is this also a myth?

Keith

Huntdoc

Reaction score
Helpful hint from a new guy, try some hydrocortisone or steroid cream to decrease the inflammation where you were bitten.  Nothing will cure it but time, but this may lessen the suffering!

davered1

Reaction score
AEH, thats a good one!!! :laffin-yellow::laffin-yellow::laffin-yellow:

Sounds like I'M fortunate not to know what one is, you guys can keep them down there.

shadow

Reaction score
Try taking a cap full of bleach with a bath...burns a bit but cures the chiggers and itching quickly.  I get them all the time even when I tuck my pants in and spray.  Nail polish works great to if you only have a couple of bits but when the whole damn nest gets on ya a bleach bath is faster and quicker.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom