D-370 concerns

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I was looking at the specs for the D-370, and was wondering how these cameras will operate in the northern climate. Here are the specs Olympus gives. I'm just hoping the LCD panel doesn't freeze up below 32 degrees, it would be pretty hard to adjust the camera settings, or do anything without the LCD panel. Has anyone done any long term cold weather testing on digital camera LCD panels? It would really suck, come November if I had to pull all my Digitals out of the woods!

32° – 104°F / 0° – 40°C (operation)
-4° – 140°F / -20° - 60°C (storage)
Humidity: 30 - 90% (operation)
10 - 90% (storage)

Dbworld

Reaction score
I thought about sticking one in the freezer to test that....but decided I just couldn't risk it.  If it dies in the woods...oh well.  But I'm not gonna kill it.  

I'm guessing with the -4 F rating the lcd will be all right...survive at least.  But not sure how the camera will function with only a 32 F rating.   I suspect even if the lcd froze the camera would still work.  You just would have to wait to download before you looked at your pics and would have to accept default settings on the camera itself.  Unless you know the exact button sequences.  

I guess we will find out this winter.  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi CB,
That's the same thing I was concerned with - it gets COLD here in the dead of winter.  I'm just sort of sitting back and letting the digital 'pioneers' take the risks ;-))
Can't wait to hear some reports this winter.

Archilochus

coyotebandit

Reaction score
How about putting a connector on the LCD panel and making it removable? I guess the only other option would be a small heater, and an insulated box. Maybe a separate battery running through a wire-wound resistor laying next to the LCD panel, but that would probably take too much power? Hopefully someone comes up with an idea that doesn't let the LCD freeze up rendering it useless..:cry-blue:

Dbworld

Reaction score
I've considered taking the LED off.....but is connected with a couple wires and a very small ribbon cable.  I'm not sure how it easy it would be to just hook up a plug to replace it.  

sven

Reaction score
How about wrapping the camera with the element from one of those 9V heated socks?  I don't know how long the batteries last though.  One of our electrical genius' probably could come up with a thermostat circuit that would activate the heat element at a certain temp.

Top Bottom