D-390 wiring HELP!

texastrophy

Reaction score
I just wired a D-390 and hooked it up to a new RSP Universal Pixboard with a RSP4i-U chip. I used the phone jack and wired Black to Shutter, Red to Refresh, Green to the Power clip in front of the camera and Yellow to the Common clip in the front. I can take a picture with it full open and use all functions, but when I open it within 1/8" of full open and plug it in to the U-board and power it up, nothing happens. The board is functioning fine, because I have a D-370 that I've been using with it and it's been doing everything right. I just took the D-370 out to plug in the D-390 to test it. I'm using the internal batteries. Did I wire something wrong or what? Thanks for any suggestions. Haymaker are you out there?

bat

Reaction score
texastrophy I haven't used one of those boards yet but I went and read the writeup on Haymakers site and it sounds like you have the Yellow and Green backwards. The Yellow should be wired to the Power on/off and the Green should be wired to the Common. Good luck with it,
bat

P. S. if you were looking at the older manuals using the older pixcontroller board and wiring it with the two different plugs it shows the wiring like you have it but he changed the wiring colors according to his manual directions on the universal board.

bat

Reaction score
I took just a telephone wire that I had here and looked at the wire sequence in it.... Blk, Red, Grn, and Yel to determine the left to right colors and matched them up with his picture in his telephone plug. If I can attach his picture with this post it will clear up a little. Also look at his link "camera phone plug" for some data to add to this. I will try to find that again and come back and edit this post.
bat

It is a bit confusing to me but I think I have it right... you have to take the picture below and use the phone plug to determine the wiring sequence and look in the Link to the Manuals for the D-390 wiring pdf files for the wiring, but only use the pictures in that manual for the location of the wiring for the camera. All that other information is tied to the two plug method. Now take the phone plug wires to the correct spots located in the camera wiring picture.

Confused yet,
it threw me for awhile there! Hope I am right on this!
bat

edited color sequence above!

Attachments

texastrophy

Reaction score
Bat,
The phone connector for the U-board is from left to right... black, red, green and yellow. ****, I just compared the phone jack that I wired to the D-370 to the phone jack I wired to the D-390. I bought 5 boards from Pixcontroller and just assumed that the 5 phone jack wires that came with them would be wired the same way. The D-370 I wired was Left - Right, B,R,G,Y and the D-390 from Left - Right is Y,G,R,B so I've got them all screwed up. I never thought to check them. I'm sure that's the problem. I just hope it hasn't screwed anything up permanently. I guess I'll have to check them all to make sure I don't make this mistake again.

bat

Reaction score
Hopefully not but I would let Bill know about the two different wires you have. Sounds like someone cut a phone line cord into to make those two different wires like that. They reverse from one end to the other. If you take the picture above the plug wiring should start with the black wire on the left. If your plug has the sequence of colors that you say it has, with the black wire on the left, red next to it, green then yellow, that should work.
bat

edited to remove an error I made in color.

texastrophy

Reaction score
Yeah, I wired it the same as the last camera because I just assumed the phone cord would be wired in the same sequence. Since I wired the first camera successfully, I wired this one the same. Problem is, the wiring sequence in the phone cords I got from Pixcontroller aren't the same. I guess I need to check each one before I wire a camera to them. That has the potential to be expensive and it wasn't even my fault. I guess I won't know whether it damaged the camera or board until I get it rewired and test it. Thanks for your help in bringing this to my attention and just be aware of it yourself if you use the new U-board phone jack so you don't mess up a camera.

bat

Reaction score
I think you will be ok with the board but don't know about the camera...hopefully it will be. The board is reverse polarity protected so it should be ok.

I went back and edited the post above to keep from confusing anybody.

Maybe when you get the plug correct it will be ok, keep us updated on it. Sorry not too many to help with it tonight, kind of slow on the weekend.
bat

texastrophy

Reaction score
Bat,
I wired it black to shutter, red to refresh, green to power and yellow to common. That's how it's wired, but it doesn't work because the wire to the phone cord plug was reversed when I bought it. You can look in my original post, but I didn't change the color sequence when I edited it. What I'm trying to say is that the phone cord plug that goes into the Camera Phone Jack Port is from left to right - Y,G,R,B. This is the way it came wired to me from Pixcontroller. It should be B,R,G,Y, right? Whoever put the plug on the end of the wire got it backwards.
The other phone cord plug that I wired my D-370 to matched the Camera Phone Jack Port. I just assumed that they were all wired the same from Pixcontroller so I didn't check before I wired the D-390... I just did the same thing I had done before. Here is a picture of the plug as it lines up with the Phone Jack Port.

Haymaker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry for the confusion here. You can't go by wire color using the phone connector. I make mention of this on the web site, but there's so much informaton there that I'm sure it was looked over.

The issue is that there is no standard in color position with the 4 position - 4 conductor phone jack. This is different from the 6 position - 4 conductor phone jacks most people are use to (that's the kind that fits into the wall). The kind on the board is the smaller one that fits into the head set of a phone.

Hope this clears things up.

bat

Reaction score
Thanks Haymaker for that information. I had overlooked it as well. Going by this information and the picture above you would need to do the following wiring from what I understand.

If the wiring for the phone line you have is BRGY.... (which would be the standard)
Black would go to the Shutter
Red would go to the Refresh
Green would go to the Power on/off
Yellow would go to the common

If the wiring for the phone line you have is YGRB... (which would be in reverse)
Yellow would go to the Shutter
Green would go to the Refresh
Red would go to the Power on/off
Black would go to the common

At least that is the way I see it being wired.
bat

texastrophy

Reaction score
I didn't want to resolder the contact points in the camera, so I cut the phone cord and added a regular phone jack plug on the end of the camera cord. Then I hooked up the phone cord coming from the board to a regular phone receptacle and plugged in the camera. I had to hook it up in opposite sequence since that was the problem anyway. Soooooo, I tested it and it works fine. No damage to the board or camera that I can tell.
Haymaker, I never noticed the mention of the inconsistent wire color schemes on the website, but I'm sure it was just something I overlooked. I love your new boards, but since I'm new at doing this there's a lot for me to learn. This is a great forum for getting help and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge that you and Bat contribute to it. Thanks.

bat

Reaction score
Good for you texastrophy! Althought I didn't do a lot of helping you with this one, not knowing enough about the new board etc., we did learn something from posting back and forth. That is great that we can always learn a little from a problem. I know you will enjoy your new camera setup. Get us some great pictures to look at!

One thing I did learn is that we need to pay more attention just to where the wires come from and go to instead of what colors they may be. Glad you have it going.
bat

Haymaker

Reaction score
Thanks for the explination Bat. I updated my web site with your information.

Thank you!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom