D-6 NEARS HIGHLAND LAKES ANY HELP????

lxtrail

Reaction score
HEY THERE FELLA'S I AM NEW HERE AND I AM NEW TO THE NOTHERN CA AREA. I AM GOING TO BE CAMPING AT THE HIGHLAND LAKES AREA COME OPENING DAY FOR RIFLE. THIS WILL BE MY FIRST MULE DEER HUNT SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO ON THE AREA AND MAYBE A HINT OR TWO I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL. IF ANYONE HAS HUNTED THIS AREA OR JUST BEEN UP THERE IN THE LAST FEW YEARS AND CAN TELL ME WHAT TO EXPECT. I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE HIKING. ''WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU ONLY MAKES YOU STRONGER"

Attachments

Backcountry

Reaction score
First off, even though it's not required you might want to wear some blaze, because you're going to see a lot of other hunters up there (and I mean a lot, like hundreds). The DFG’s information packet about D6 reads;

Access to most public lands within Zone D-6 is very good. Major access routes are along Highways 4, 108, 120 and 140. On opening weekend, most of the areas accessed by roads are popular with hunters and it is difficult to find solitude, due to the concentration of hunters near these access roads. However, hunting pressure drops off significantly until storms occur, usually in mid to late-October.

Second (and it sounds like you already know this), the farther you get from the roads, the more bucks you're likely to see (and I'm talking miles, not a few hundred yards). The fact that you're already planning to hike some will eliminate quiet a bit of your competition. Get yourself a good set of maps (preferably at the 7.5' scale), look at air photos of the area using the Internet and a free program like USA Photomaps ( http://jdmcox.com ) and find areas that are at least one mile away from any road (especially jeep trails that will be crawling with guys on 4-wheelers). The wilderness areas where vehicles are forbidden are ideal places to hunt. Look for the big bucks in the most rugged and high reaches of the area... if you look at a spot and think, "man, how could a deer get up there?", that's where you want to hunt. Have a good set of binos and/or a spotting scope and start glassing at first light. That means you needs to be on the trail from your vehicle by around 3:45:am or pack in and bivy the night before.

Yeah people shoot deer off the roads every year, but your chances of success go up if you get away from the roads.

Here’s the DFG information blurb for D6… there’s some decent overview information in there…

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/deer/zoneinf...oneinfo2004.pdf

Third, do at least one scouting weekend... it will help you get in shape and aid you in orienting yourself come hunting season.

Finally, do a JHO search for Highland Lakes... I've read numerous threads by JHO'ers about that region in the past few years and they contain a lot of information... much of it is along the lines of "we just aren't seeing the deer we once used to, but there sure are a lot of hunters up here"; however, there are some good tidbits in there as well.

Good luck on your hunt, be safe, and welcome to JHO!
Backcountry

2&3/4 only

Reaction score
go up highway 4 a couple of miles to the crest trail parking lot get a D-5 TAG. But be careful because the parking lot is X-8 and if you have a loaded gun and a warden showes up you will get a ticket . walk in a mile or two D-5 is on the west side of trail X-8 is on the east side of the trail i have harvested a couple of deer back in there . beautful country.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
If you do get a D5 tag drop me an email and I will give you some places to check out close to where you will be camped. I hunt that area after the big shootout during the week. My boys and I had to hike aways but the walk can be productive.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
In addition to getting a D-5 tag you might want to consider a bear tag . I talked to one of the Airolas moving cattle in there a few years ago and they were seeing more bears than deer and very few bucks compared to years past. That has been a few years ago but the trend seems to continue from what I have seen. I think what has hurt, besides lion,bear, and coyote predation is the build up on the winter range to the east ( Minden ). That was a crossover area and many of the deer would winter in Nevada.

2&3/4 only

Reaction score
also down a little spicer res is a good place behind the lake you can walk for miles good hunting back in there

Wogg

Reaction score
lxtrail, welcome to jesse's, let me know if you want to check any of these places out and will see how days off go. A friend of mine is a deputy in Bear Valley and he said he saw a couple of really nice bucks not far over the X-8 line two days ago. I'll fill ya in more when I see ya.

maf

Reaction score
Hunt D-6. This area opens the week before D-5 and the creek from the camp ground divides the two zone's. I have hunted the area since 2002 and have always seen deer. The lakes are fun to fish and the camp ground is quite, other than tree huggers. In 2002 i ran into a herd of deer with alot of bucks.They were in a draw moving fast from tree line to tree line,the first buck that stoped i shot due to my lack of experience (photo attached). this was a mile from the truck.

Attachments

lxtrail

Reaction score

THANKS BACKCOUNTY FOR SOME GOOD INFO ILL BE SURE TO USE IT, AND THANKS PAUL ILL SEE YOU AT WORK, SO YOU CAN FILL ME IN THE MORNING. I DO HAVE A TAG FOR D-5 AND A BEAR TAG ALSO . I HOPE TO FILL AT LEAST ONE OF THEM IF NOT ALL THREE TAGS. I'VE BEEN CHECKING ARIAL PHOTOS AND THE TOPO'S TRYING TO FIND THOSE SPECIAL SPOTS WHERE ONE OF THOSE BIG BOYS ARE ARE PLAYIN HIND N GO SEEK WITH A .270 ROUND ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR IMPUT AND KEEP IT COMING

Attachments

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
Find Slaughter Canyon on the topo. It's an excellent spot. There's a large contingent of horse people that hunt the top and drive them down into the canyon. Don't tell anyone you heard it from me
Slaughter would be south west of the lakes, good luck

lxtrail

Reaction score
THANKS MIKE IN SO CAL I PUT THAT IN MY MEMORY BANK TO USE

Latest Posts

Top Bottom