d-6 quota

xman53

Reaction score
anybody know how many d-6 tags are left--thx xman

outdoorsman

Reaction score
xman,

D-6 is filled . Go to the DFG web site and click on licenses. Then click on daily deer tags avalible.

Quick Pop

Reaction score
yeah there were only a couple hundred left when they opened it up August 2nd to folks getting their 2nd deer tag. I cant believe how popular that zone is now. 3 years ago It was easy to get both 1rst and 2nd tags for D6. Last year it went to a drawing which filled it (3500 tags left over for about 5000 aplicants). This year 200 tags in the 2nd deer drawing for x number of apps. What gives??
The hunting sure as heck hasnt gotten any better. We noticed a huge influx of folks last year compared to other years in the Wilderness area we hunt in along with a much smaller deer herd.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
The main reason IMO is those late storms a few years ago that pushed the bucks out of the park. It encouraged the masses and the word gets around. My guess is many will give it up if we go very many years without any storms, because without any weather that Yosemite herd is for the most part unavailable. Then one good year with an early migration and the enthusiasum will pick back up all over again. Other than that, I can't think of much of a reason, as the D-5 high country is just about the equall of the D-6 high country in deer numbers and that area still has lots of tags left.

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
Quick Pop, which wilderness area do you guys hunt?

xman53

Reaction score
thx i found it on the dfg website--i have one but wanted one for my son--i was there 2 yrs ago on a peak that i swear would cover hy 108,eagle mds rd , that looked like half of d-6--there was not one shot until 930 opening morning, i could not believe it--we saw or heard nothing and neither did the guys up on the pass, but i still get d-6,and d3-5 cause its so close to me--i move when the weather does--xman

Backcountry

Reaction score
You can always purchase an AO-2 tag and hunt any of the D zones with a bow in both archery and general season.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
You can always purchase an AO-2 tag and hunt any of the D zones with a bow in both archery and general season.[/b]

I always thought AO1 is for A,B,C, and D3-5. And AO2 is for the rest of the D zones. Did something changed?

L2H

Quick Pop

Reaction score
Mike, we hunt in emmigrant wilderness area. I drew x12 this year and just got my second tag d6 in the mail today. where are you guys headed??

Backcountry

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Live2hunt @ Aug 8 2006, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
You can always purchase an AO-2 tag and hunt any of the D zones with a bow in both archery and general season.[/b]
I always thought AO1 is for A,B,C, and D3-5. And AO2 is for the rest of the D zones. Did something changed?[/b][/quote]
Nothing has changed for as long as I've been using these tags (going on 6 years now).

AO-1 and AO-2 tags are good in both the archery and general seasons in all A, B, and D-zones (and hunt G-10 for military only).

AO-1 and AO-2 tags are not good in the C-zones (regardless of what season it is).

See page 22 of this year's Tracks magazine from DFG.

Backcountry

deerhuntr44

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Backcountry @ Aug 9 2006, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Live2hunt @ Aug 8 2006, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
I always thought AO1 is for A,B,C, and D3-5. And AO2 is for the rest of the D zones. Did something changed?[/b][/quote]
Nothing has changed for as long as I've been using these tags (going on 6 years now).

AO-1 and AO-2 tags are good in both the archery and general seasons in all A, B, and D-zones (and hunt G-10 for military only).

AO-1 and AO-2 tags are not good in the C-zones (regardless of what season it is).

See page 22 of this year's Tracks magazine from DFG.

Backcountry
[/b][/quote]

Hell Backcountry a C zone tag is not even good for archery in C zones, you have to get a A-1 tag. It sucks big time. You have to use both deer tags just to hunt there. But it can be fun, I've hunted C-4 off an on for 20 years now. It's not as good now but still better then any D zone.

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I always thought AO1 is for A,B,C, and D3-5. And AO2 is for the rest of the D zones. Did something changed?[/b]
AO1 and AO2 are for the same zones. AO1 is for your first deer tag and AO2 is for your second tag

Top Bottom