D*&% Bears!!

wvhunter

Reaction score
Well, for the 2nd time in 3 weeks a bear has chewed the sensor out of my cam.  Any ideas on how to keep the bears out?  My PIR is mounted outside of the case and I am looking at putting in inside or mounted flat but any other ideas are welcome.  The metal case has protected the camera and wiring but the sensor is pretty chewed up.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Wvhunter, although we dont' have bears here in South Mississippi, I have been reading a lot of posts on this site about bear attacks and think I may have a solution.  A "Bear Alarm"!  Simply connect on of those self driving audio buzzers (like a Sonalert) to a tilt sensor and a 9V battery.  Install the tilt sensor (available from Digikey) so that it is in open position when the cam is installed in the proper position on the tree.  When the bear goes to maul the cam, he will most likely move the cam so that the tilt sensor will close, thereyby connecting the buzzer to the battery supply. You can also build a simple 555 timer based one shot circuit which controls a relay.  When the tilt sensor throws, the 555 detects this and powers a relay which controls the buzzer for a certain period of time.  

I just bough some cheap Sonalerts from http://www.mpja.com for about $4.  They are LOUD when connected to a 9V battery.  You will need a buzzer with at least a 90db sound pressure.  I am not familiar with what scares a bear, but if the buzzer is loud enough to scare me, then I figure a bear wont like it either.  

Trapp

Reaction score
Looks like we have the same Bear!!!!!
I've been lucky!!! He just plays with it.

(Edited by Trapp at 12:33 am on Aug. 12, 2001)

wvhunter

Reaction score
Since I am reworking my cam.  I have a question.  Those of you that have mounted the frensel flat outside of it's housing what size hole have you used?  I am using the RS PIR.  I have a metal plate to fill the hole where the entire PIR stuck thru that already has a 3/4 inch hole in it.  Would this work or is it to big or to small.

gizz

Reaction score
wvhunter - Those bears can be a pain in the:MN
I use the MS20 and the hole i first used was a 3/4".
I since went to 1" but for no particular reason other than I had a hole saw that big. Not 100% on the RS PIR

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Trapp,

You need to resize that pic please. Try and keep the size under 800 pixels wide. If pics are too wide it resizes the window on your computer and you havce  to scroll back and forth to read the messages. Your scanner software should have some editing software to resize or a way to set the pic size when it is scanned. Holler if you need help.

Coal30

Reaction score
I tell you what what you have to do is when you put out your cam where rubber gloves and the bear will not be able to smell your sent the hole reason the bear is after your cam is because he smells your sent on it keep it sent free and youll never have a problem again hope this help

Trapp

Reaction score
I always try to remember to spray my camera down with cover scent after I’m done setting it up.

wvhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.  My plan right now is to mount the frensel flat, so nothing is sticking out for the bear to get ahold of.  And to try and descent the camera when putting it in the woods.  I am going to use a 1" hole for mounting the frensel against.  Has anybody mount the frensel flat with the RS PIR and what size hole did you use.  Also come bow season I hope to remove this bear from cam eaters :shootin:

Thanks again for the info.

P.S. Trapp the only picts I got on this roll were like the one you posted a nose any eyes.

(Edited by wvhunter at 9:48 am on Aug. 12, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Trapp,

Tinhorn will love your bear pic, he's into the nostril and adnoid shots.

Rob

Reaction score
I used a 1" hole for mine, but heard a few people used 5/8 or 3/4.  So 3/4 should be fine.  Here is an idea, my dad just built a game cam and mounted the housing just barely sticking out maybe 1/4".  Also how about mounting a 12v batt and car coil with 2 wires running on top of the PIR so when the bear shorts the 2 wires with his nose or tongue, ZAP!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well I've been hoping to see what Bear Tonsils look like for quite some time.....we don't have may bears here in Mo.

I drill a 1-7/8" hole and mount the MS 20 behind this hole in it's original housing,  I pack Rope Caulk (permagum) type clay around the hole to fill in the Arc the PIR makes....it works real good that way and I don't have to worry about making the PIR Lens lay flat or the focal distance either

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom