• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

D.D.'s Bio

Birddog3

D.D. was born on 8-27-98. I picked up my little GSP on the 49th day as I do all my puppies. I had 2 other Shorthairs at the time who helped me train her. She was really easy to train, because she was so smart and had a great nose.

In her first attempt at Tournament Hunting it was a NBDCA (now called BDC) event on December 29, 2001. She finished 2nd in Open Pointing. Little did we know that was just the beginning! She competed in the North American Gun Dog Association (NAGDA) and also the Bird Dog Challenge (BDC) organizations.
Below are some of her many major accomplishments.

2002 Western States Pointing Dog Champion held in Willows CA
2005 NAGDA Open Pointing Division NATIONAL CHAMPION
2006 NAGDA Open Doubles National Runner-up
2007 NAGDA Open Doubles National Top 5
2009 NAGDA Open Pointing Division National 3rd
2009 BDC Major Championship 2nd place in Masters Pointing Division
Also at the National Qualifing level she had 10 wins, 8 second places & 8 third place finishes.

During her life she had 3 ACL knee surgeries, 2 on one side & one on the other. She also had 2 battles with cancer, the first one 4 years ago. I really thought I was going to lose her then. But she beat that one. The last one was diagnosed in December 2009 and she couldn't beat this one. She battled it all she could, but I could see it in her eyes she was tired of fighting. I made the difficult decision that all pet owners must make and chose to have her put down. I could have chosen to have someone take her into the vet, but she was my partner. It was something I needed to do. I held her as the vet gave her the injection on January 25th, 2010.
She was truly a once in a lifetime dog. She is now resting on the fireplace mantle. I know there is an angel up in heaven now and she is looking out over her sisters Annie, K.K. & Nikkie
I love you "Champ".............Rest in Peace D.D.

Starting Gate.jpg

Snowing.jpg

Tree.jpg

The End.jpg

Retrieve Chukar.jpg

calisdad

The Power of the Dog by Rudyard Kipling
There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie --
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find -- it's your own affair --
But . . . you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit hat answered your every mood
Is gone -- wherever it goes -- for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept'em, the more do we grieve;

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long --
So why in -- Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Birddog3

Thank you Charlie for sharing that beautiful poem. Even though it made me cry! I will gladly give my heart to a dog to tear.

calisdad

I'm glad you liked it. There is no doubt he has been there a time or three.

There is another: 'A Dogs Prayer' which talks about being there for that final moment.

And so the cycle begins anew as I'm picking up Trap's younger brother. Same parents and birthday, a year later. They will either run me healthy or run me into the ground. ;)

Birddog3

For those of you who have never seen this. Charlie, is this the one you were talking about? I have had it on my website from the beginning. I don't know who wrote it.​

A Bird Dog's Prayer

I thank thee oh Lord, for the waters, and fields wherein lie the same birds I love to hunt. I thank thee also for the men who protect and preserve wildlife in all its forms so that future generations will have the healthful pleasures of hunting.

My master means more than life or death to me, and I pray for intelligence, ability and strength to understand and execute his commands and desires.

May our companionship lead to complete understanding so that our moments together will be the happiest of all. Help my master to comprehend that I will gladly give my life for him, be he millionaire or pauper. His love and confidence are all I ask. I beseech you to guide him and protect him from thoughts, deeds or actions which will disturb the faith of others in him.

The wag of my tail indicates the feelings of my heart and no blows, deprivation or hunger will ever keep me from being happy when I hear my master's voice or footsteps. When the curtain of death are about to close my active life, I pray thee oh God, that my master be near, his hand caressing my head as my eyelids close.

Amen.

Birddog3

Bryce........thank you again for posting these additional pictures. They bring back wonderful memories. You're right, we have lost more than a few this year.
D.D., Trigger, Crazy Ivan, Blade, Misty and our beloved friend Mark Norby. Rest in peace.

Top Bottom