D11 on Sunday for Bear. Bad idea?

TheGDog

Hey guys,

Question for you Bear-savvy hunters.

I've planned myself to go to a spot in D11 this Sunday. But the current weather situation has me questioning whether it's worth it or not.

Would the Bears in D11 still be in that mode of trying to spend as much time possible eating to build up their fat reserves?

Or are they already in or near hybernating?

In previous forum posts others have said with our usually milder temps that they don't really truly hybernate out here. Was curious how true that is.

Anyway... with the kinda weather we're looking at this weekend. Likely to be cold and windy. Does this greatly reduce the likelihood of them being out and about during hunting hours?

-G

d10hunter

Go for it! Its time in the woods, might see a bear, might see something else to add to knowledge bank. Won't shoot 1 from the shop. Good luck, post em up!

Sent from SGS5 using tapatalk

OPAH

Gary I am pretty sure California bears do not hybernate, they will be moving down with the snow level, you know those two places we talked about earlier in the season still should be great for Bear

TheGDog

Roger that. Loading the pack. Meh... ya figure it gets dark early as heck these days anyway, right?

Beastmode

Gary I am pretty sure California bears do not hybernate, they will be moving down with the snow level, you know those two places we talked about earlier in the season still should be great for Bear
Some do move down and some just stay put and den up. I would concentrate on areas below 5k ft and where acorns are plentiful.

KTKT70

They do go to sleep. How deep a sleep depends on temp. Many spots in cali will have enough cold and snow to make the bears den up all winter and not wake. In other spots that have little snow and warm day time temp. Bears will stilL sleEp but are easy to wake up.

Last edited:

TheGDog

What kinda places to they find to sleep in in D11. I mean... of course the hollows in trees and if there happens to be rock formations with a nook outta the cold, sure. But help me understand the guiding principles behind what motivates their choice for where they pick to sleep. LIke... do they always pick to sleep on shaded sides? I assume the pick places to sleep which are higher up with no chance of ever having running water go thru them, or pool in them. I assume that they sleep in gnarly brush where it would be a total pain to even get in there to see if they are in there.

Bubblehide

The reason bears hibernate is because the weather has made it impossible to survive if they didn't. We do not have those kinds of conditions here in Southern California, so the bears here do not hibernate. But like most wildlife, they prefer their solitude, as such they usually look for out of the way places. However, back when I had horses, I have ridden trails where bears have den-ed up in brush piles 5 feet off the trail. Like most animals that will den up, or regularly sleep in brush piles, or natural brush piles, they want more than one exit. I've see bears sleeping in the tall grass along streams, against trees on slopes... If your looking for a motive, the common denominator is almost always solitude, being left alone, undisturbed... For the bears I have found sleeping next to trails, the trails have always been very seldom used trails.

Huh. I never considered D11 for bear, and I'm close to it. Do you have any areas in mind? I'm putting some research in now and will post anything I find.

k_rad

FYI there used to be many bears up off of the road to Lightning point in Angeles National Forest when the campgrounds were open. I had a ranger tell me that about a year after all of the closures from the Station fire most of the bears were gone because there was no more garbage to eat from the campers. Last year I overheard some people at the restaurant up on Hwy 2 talking about a resident bear that would come for their garbage like clockwork. When they saw me and my friend in camo they kind of changed the story, "oh but that was years ago"... If I hunted bear that's were I'd go... Good luck.

OPAH

The only thing about that ^^^^^ is bears that eat garbage will taste like garbage.
totally agree with Wild1, do not hunt trash bears. and Bubble has the right info, solitude away from he beaten path.
not sure what food sources would be available to winter bears, find that out and you will have a starting point. be sure to check the kill stats every day before you go out when the magic number is hit the season is closed, it is your responsibility to know.

Orygun

It's never a bad time to hunt bear in D11, as long as the season is open of course. If there are honeybee yards out still I would be looking in the thick stuff in the canyons around them.

TheGDog

The tentative plan is to go out again 12-27, but this time to Cattle Canyon. In the summer I had found lots of scat filled with choke-cherry pits, and prints in the silt layers beside water crossings. Also this one lil line that went up into the hills and was extremely narrow and tight. And at a certain spot you could clearly tell that bears funelled thru a choke point. First time I went in there as a n00b the narrowness got me all nervy since I was solo and with a bolt-action. It was because of that particular trail I decided to also pickup a Marlin .30-30 lever-action so I'd have a "brush-gun". Put a Weaver 1-3x20mm on it, which I think would be ideal in that scenario as you can aim with both eyes open when at 1x.

Last edited:

dthome

I'm glad you posted that picture from November, because I could have sworn I saw the harvest number at 1500+ earlier in the year. Here is the tally from today. I wonder what happened. An error of 400 is pretty substantial.

View attachment 87248

Top Bottom