d12 early scout

fritojay

Reaction score
scouted d12 last saturday with grandsons,son in law and daughter.we saw very little track and a few droppings but no deer.we did see quite a few burro.we caught a lot of fish,a few catfish,1 bass and a lot of big bluegill,made for a good dinner.it was to hot to spend the night and i probably wont scout again untill sept-oct.we have 4 tags now and possibly a fifth. my recomedation for all of you is to let d12 rest this year and just tag along with glasseye to nv hunting speed goat.

fritojay

Reaction score
we scouted early and then drove to a spot to fish.cant be to specific because it will give our hunting honey hole away but yes it was on the river and the fish were really biting.bigcim,you have a d12 tag this year dont you. if so have you hunted it before ?

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fritojay @ Jun 22 2008, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my recomedation for all of you is to let d12 rest this year and just tag along with glasseye to nv hunting speed goat.
[/b]
Jay, I can't apply for goats in NV for 5 years because I killed one last year. I will, however, be chasing mulies in NV.
I won't be chasing them in D12 again this year because they sold out before the draw. If I want a D12 tag I can no longer put it down as a 2nd choice. If I don't draw a strip tag than maybe I'll get an AO tag and hunt D12 with my bow.

fritojay

Reaction score
breck,which nv zone did you draw.gun or bow.yeh this d12 selling early really bites.my problem is i want to hunt x9a but if i put in for it i cant hunt my local d12.

BIGCIM

Reaction score
I haven't hunted D12 before, but my uncle(who I always hunt with) has. We also have a BLM friend out there who has seen deer that hes going to put us on. So hopefully we get lucky. I been out there for upland game and repairing long horn sheep guzzlers though. Maybe we can get together send me an email

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fritojay @ Jun 22 2008, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
breck,which nv zone did you draw.gun or bow.yeh this d12 selling early really bites.my problem is i want to hunt x9a but if i put in for it i cant hunt my local d12.[/b]
You got that right ! it bites big time. Back before the preference points system I would put all 3 choices for G and X hunts and if I drew nothing I could still get D12 after the draw. This is the 2nd year in a row that it has sold out before the draw. Good news is that I drew NV 171-173 archery, it's between Tonopah and Austin. I put D12 as a 2nd choice and X9B Archery as my 3rd, I'm sure I drew the X9B archery being that they never sell out.

fritojay

Reaction score
breck,last year when i hunted east of lovelock,we camped out at rye patch and hunted up to about 8500-9000'.it got down to the low 20s and we got a little snow.have not been as far south as you are going.i think nv has good deer just about everywhere.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
Was in D-12 last weekend........saw a group of bucks (5) that definitely had potential to be some whoppers. They were out in the open desert aways.....feeding on mesquite beans.

Bergman73

Reaction score
In 2002 and 2003 I got two D12 tags both seasons...After those years it has indeed sold out . Lot's of magazines have been putting the hype up on the Zone . I got my tag .
Hey Frito...I know this is a old question but what was the outcome of Those so-called poachers from last season in The Valley...? Just curious.
Thanks ,
Dustin

SickLj

Reaction score
Im new to the forum but a seasoned desert hunter. Ran into a member here who referred me to the forum. Nice to see some desert guys in here. I usually do d-17 and d-12 but had to get the d-12 tag early this year before the sell out. Ive seen a couple bucks in the 2 days scouting so far but nothing good yet. Looking to do some exploring in some new areas if anyone here is interested. Not looking to get in anyones holes, just wanting to look over some areas new to both of us. I have some ideas and 2 heads are better than 1.

Glass eye

Reaction score
SickLj
If you ever drive through El Centro drop by my shop and visit a while.
the link below has a map page to my shop.

fritojay

Reaction score
bergman,so far i dont know what the outcome of the poaching case is,or if they went ahead and made a case.not sure how to find out. glasseye,let me know if you have a fish and game contact.

Bergman73

Reaction score
Frito , was just wondering what the outcome was on that . A few weeks back we were out fishing in The Valley and we did some early morning glassing near our hunting areas . 5 Doe's and 2 Forks seen . All Deer looked good , weight wise that is .

Dustin

SickLj

Reaction score
Just got back from a quickie scout trip on the way back from AZ. Spent an evening and morning glassing some of the more popular areas out of Blythe. Same results as Bergman...a couple forks and a handful of does that looked very healthy. Wished I had my .204 to sting the coyote that was following them. Anyone locating any racks that look to have any potential?? Dove looks really promissing if you like to drive that far (Blythe).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom