D13 vs. D8

reesounds

Reaction score
Ok, I wouldn't do this generally, but I am getting tired of getting skunked and want to try and change my luck. For the past three years I have begun deer hunting. I am still a "v" and have been hunting in D13 around Frazier and lockwood valley south etc... I had a buck sighting once in three years w/o one shot.

I checked the stats for D8 and it looks like this zone has better numbers. Should I go for the extra couple of hours drive time to increase my odds or ?

I dont really want to add alot more miles to my trip, otherwise I would go to B zones and really get into some better numbers. (especially w/ GAS prices going up again.)

Thanks for any input.

sportyg

Reaction score
How well do you know your area ? how much scouting do you do ? You may want to stay in D 13 just look at some new areas. before you decide to change zones. Scout scout scout...

prohunter

Reaction score
i have to agree with sportyg. i would go with what you already know about d-13 and get out there and hunt (scout). you can't get lucky if your sitting at home. d-8 is not the magic cure all. it is a tough tough zone. i know guys who have never killed anything in d-8. i have been very lucky for 2 reasons: i have been hitting it hard since my dad use to take my up and i hunt almost evry chance i get. sometimes i drive up an hour just to hunt 30 minutes. like i said you can't get lucky if your sitting at home. improve your own odds by getting out more.

D-Zone

Reaction score
I've seen some bruisers come out of the Lockwood Valley area the last couple of years. Don't get discouraged, Just stick with it, your hardwork will eventually payoff.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I see you are from Fullerton in SoCal. I'm wondering why you are not huntind D11 or D14. There are still good bucks in those areas, they never sell out, and you could pretty much hunt them daily. Best yet, you could scout those areas year round -- those deer don't even migrate. On the other hand, if you want to migrate north yourself in chase of hunter success stats, then go for it. Seems to me that D13 is just as desolate and dry as D11 & d14, but as said above, if you are close enough to scout it out often, then that would be your best bet. On the other hand, if you want to head further north into the higher mountains of the southern Sierra Nevada mountains, then you need to pay for your gas, takes some days off, and scout the heck out of that area. There is plenty of room north of D13, but the deer do migrate, and that means scouting, and hunting, up high absent a freak early snowstorm -- and the success stats are way overated on top of that!

reesounds

Reaction score
D11 is ugly and trashed, w/ low deer numbers and high predator numbers. I want to enjoy my hunting experience and not be on the lookout for some schmuck to start shooting at me because I moved. Or some gangsters to tag my car or something.

AGC73

Reaction score
Before you start nocking down D-11, an area my family has religiously killed deer in for years, and area that I'm sure you have never hunted, you might want to start early scouting, like around September. Do you own a pair of binoculars, do you know when your in good deer country, do you know how to look for sign, whether its fresh or old, and is the area full of lots of deer sign and how heavy is the traffic in that area.

Do you know how to look at country and glass for deer, do you know how find deer traffic off hillsides using your binoculars from 200 yards away. I'm not trying to put you down, but you made a BOLD statement about D-11, and area lots of good hunters are succesful in. The area's you have mentioned are heavily hunted, in those kinds of area's it takes lots of scouting to find good honey holes. My first year I hunted D-13 due to the fire closure in D-11, D-13 was my only choice. I got out maps and learned some new area's. My first time hunting it, killed a forked near Lake Piru. Am I lucky, No, just put my time in, was at the right place at the right time.

In the 3 years of deer hunting, has anyone shown you how to deer hunt? Anybody can carry a rifle and say they went deer hunting, but to know how to put your time in the field from dusk till dawn is another story.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
Hey AGC73, are you offering your expertise? I just moved to the Castaic area from Agua Dulce and am new to bowhunting. Looking for someone to show me the signs and what to look for. I'm willing to put in the time to find my own spots, I just need the know how and would appreciate any help.......

Jake

Reaction score
According to the Los Padres Ranger station, most of LPNF is still closed and the fire damaged areas will not be opening up real soon. The guy I spoke with said that there are still areas inside the perimeter that are burning, and that they are trying to take precautions to prevent massive erosion from rain.

From what I gather most of Lockwood Valley and South to Alamo Mountain will stay closed. At least that is what I was told on Friday.

The LPNF website has maps of the closure areas.

Top Bottom