D14, a premium unit!

devobrodie

Reaction score
SO the new regs are saying that D-14 will be a premium unit this year if you list it as a choice on your first deer tag you will lose any bonus points you may have, be careful if you don't want that to happen! Never thought I would live to see the day!!

Premium Deer Tags for 2020 are: General Zone Hunts: C, D9, D12, D14, and D17; X Zone Hunts: X1, X2, X3A, X3B, X4, X5A, X5B, X6A, X6B, X7A, X7B, X8, X9A, X9B, X9C, X10 and X12; General Method Hunts: G1, G3, G6, G8, G12, G13, G19, G21, G37, G38 and G39;

#1Predator

Reaction score
You are correct if you put D14 as your first choice. If you don't want to lose your points, put in for a limited entry/low tag quota hunt as a first choice and second where the chances of getting drawn with less than the max number of points (17) is near zero. Put D14 as a third choice and you won't lose your points.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
wut? i remember the days when D14 tags didnt sell out till mid sept.

Some have said its antis buying up a lot of tags to save bambi. If hunting license sales are going down what is the reason?

devobrodie

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, crazy to think we need to do that to hunt D14, ha

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
I think they should limit tags for D13 and D11. Last year was ridiculous with so many hunters, I've never seen so many. Right now, if you have a tag for D11, D13, or D15, you can hunt all those same Zones with one tag. They should stop that too. I know they weont stop it because thats their (DFW) bread and butter zones. The deer populations dont support that kind off hunting pressure.

dustin ray

Reaction score
CA Tag quota in all units verses deer population doesn't add up
compare CA to any western state on tag allotment and its clear CA wants a deferent outcome
I do agree with the tag cuts in x9a and x12 i think the age class bucks will improve greatly but the tag cuts on the archery a16 and a20 is to low
As for d11 5500 tags stupid
This is why i mostly hunt out of CA

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
CA Tag quota in all units verses deer population doesn't add up
compare CA to any western state on tag allotment and its clear CA wants a deferent outcome
I do agree with the tag cuts in x9a and x12 i think the age class bucks will improve greatly but the tag cuts on the archery a16 and a20 is to low
As for d11 5500 tags stupid
This is why i mostly hunt out of CA
And last time I looked there are less deer in D11 and D13 than there are in x9a

CA_Hunter

Reaction score
Be cautious this year as the CDFW will NOT refund any tags if you are mandated to stay home. Best to just buy the license and buy OTC tags as they are made available.

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
#1 Predator, I have also emailed this question to CDFW:

If I apply to D17 as first choice and A31 as second choice. If I get A31 on my second choice do I lose my points? Even though I got the tag as part of the random drawing portion of the draw?

#1Predator

Reaction score
No. You will not lose points if your first choice is not drawn.
Correct. You only lose points if your first choice is drawn (if that choice requires points). I used the example of using first AND second choice blanks for "throw away" choices out of habit (this is what I've been doing for seven years so I don't lose points on my premium area).

TDub

Reaction score
New hunter here. I live in D14, does it being listed as a premium zone this year reduce my chances of getting a tag for my zone?

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
New hunter here. I live in D14, does it being listed as a premium zone this year reduce my chances of getting a tag for my zone?
I am going to assume you did not apply for the Premium deer tag drawing.
In that case, yes. Your chances of getting a tag for D14 have been reduced to slim. The quota this year in for 3000 tags. If less than 3000 people applied for D14 through the drawing then the remaining tags will be available OTC on July 2 at 8:00am.

From the big game hunting digest:

"If any premium deer hunt tags remain after the Big Game Drawing, First-Deer Tag applicants may apply for any leftover premium deer hunt tags starting at 8:00 a.m. on July 2, 2020."

Your best bet is to go online at 8:00am on July 2 and try to apply for any leftover D14 tags (if any are available). Your other option is to get an AO tag and just hunt archery this year.

dabob

Reaction score
I have noticed quite a few deer hunters don't know that all the deer tag applications are seperated into first choices. So you don't have any chance of getting most of the good premium tags on your second choice.

• Just prior to the drawing, the computer sorts all applications according to first tag choice, preference point totals, and random number.
  • The computer begins awarding first tag choices to applicants with the most preference points, in random number order (starting with the lowest random number to the highest random number).
  • After the preference point round is completed, unsuccessful applications are resorted by hunt choice and random number order (starting with the lowest random number to the highest random number), and the computer begins awarding tags based on applicant's first-choice without consideration of accumulated points, until all draw-by-choice tag quotas fill or until all applications have been processed.
  • For deer, where hunters may make up to three hunt choices - all remaining unsuccessful applications are then sorted by second tag choice, in random number order (starting with the lowest random number to the highest random number). The computer conducts a second round of drawings for any zones and hunts with tags remaining without consideration of accumulated points.
  • If tags remain after second tag choices have been processed, applications are sorted once again by third tag choice, in random number order (starting with the lowest random number to the highest random number), and any remaining tags are awarded without consideration of accumulated points.
  • For applications not drawn in the third round hunters will be notified of available tags s

TDub

Reaction score
I am going to assume you did not apply for the Premium deer tag drawing.
In that case, yes. Your chances of getting a tag for D14 have been reduced to slim. The quota this year in for 3000 tags. If less than 3000 people applied for D14 through the drawing then the remaining tags will be available OTC on July 2 at 8:00am.

From the big game hunting digest:

"If any premium deer hunt tags remain after the Big Game Drawing, First-Deer Tag applicants may apply for any leftover premium deer hunt tags starting at 8:00 a.m. on July 2, 2020."

Your best bet is to go online at 8:00am on July 2 and try to apply for any leftover D14 tags (if any are available). Your other option is to get an AO tag and just hunt archery this year.
Thank you, my plan is to bow hike only this year. I appreciate your response.

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
Thank you, my plan is to bow hike only this year. I appreciate your response.
Perfect then you are good. AO tags are over the counter and allow you to hunt the D zones during archery and general seasons with a bow.

Where about are you in D14? I'm in the high desert and have hunted D14 a lot with not much success.

redux

Reaction score
There were 124 D14 tags leftover after this year's draw. They were available OTC starting today. I planned on going to turner's at lunch but couldn't make it. got there at 3:30 and they were all gone. Just two years ago I bought a D14 tag OTC first week of august.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
There were 124 D14 tags leftover after this year's draw. They were available OTC starting today. I planned on going to turner's at lunch but couldn't make it. got there at 3:30 and they were all gone. Just two years ago I bought a D14 tag OTC first week of august.
I thought all the D14 tags went in the premium draw. I got a D19 (San Jacinto mtns) tag to change up the scenery for rifle season. Gonna go AO tag to archery hunt D14. Longbow in D14, talk about long odds. lol. Gonna take someone miracle-ing my azz.

Is D19 next for a premium tag?

Thx redux

Sawfish

Reaction score
You could have ordered it online right after midnight.

Top Bottom