D14 Bear Mauls a Hunter

dthome

Reaction score
So... to summarize for those of us without bear experience..... if the initial shot doesn't produce a "Rodeo Spin" Or a Tumble/Roll before running... if it JUST produces a bear that growls and then runs off.... you're saying as long as the initial symptoms/behaviour/evidence doesn't make you think it was a heckuva good hit... you're saying give it until Death Moan+30minutes.... OR... at least 4 hrs minimum... before even attempting to blood trail it? Does that sound about right?
The spin and roll don’t mean anything, and bears often don’t do the death moan. Just take bankrunner’s advice.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Hopefully you can share more of your story when you get some time.

Turas

Reaction score
*bump*

Five weeks to archery. Newcomb brings a solemn pep talk from BC. Much respect to Ursus Americanus and those who hunt him, win or lose.

http://rssr.link/pUVJ?t=2662

Link is queued up (44:22), but the whole episode is worthwhile.

AS73

Reaction score
Looks like you will be able to soon. Thanks to the folks who got this change in motion, and to those who drafted the new reg. Should reduce a lot of risk and confusion:

https://tinyurl.com/y29q4jr2

Thanks for posting this.. I did receive this update from the DFG this morning.
No Side Arms During Archery Deer Season The California Fish and Game Commission recently adopted a regulation to authorize possession of a firearm while hunting big game during archery seasons, except for deer. To clarify, it is against the law to carry a firearm while deer hunting during archery season or anytime with an archery-only deer tag. If a hunter has a different big game archery-only tag, elk for example, he or she may possess a firearm under the provisions listed in the newly adopted regulation.

On a side note Make sure you have non lead ammo in your sidearm!

Hope this helps

Revo2811

Reaction score
You can carry a side arm during archery bear/ predator hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
You can carry a side arm during archery bear/ predator hunting

I'll be Archery deer hunting A32. I also have a bear tag. I wonder if I can carry sidearm in this situation?

Revo2811

Reaction score
Not while you carry a deer tag

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Good old confusing California hunting regulations.. I don’t see why you can’t carry a sidearm while archery hunting, who made that law should research the Missing 411.

Bossbrott

Reaction score
Had a bear on the back deck working its way into the house at 3am.
Grabbed the rifle and slid around the house with my sa /06, in my skivvies.
Poked my head around the corner and he busted me. At 15' away in complete darkness we met eyes. He didn't run and instead got down on all fours and was headed my direction walking quickly.
When the safety made its "click" he stopped moving forward but sideways to me, where he had an advantage.
Being how he was up on the deck and I was at a lower level than him I was virtually eye to eye with him when I shot him right in the white splash on his chest. He stood briefly, spinning and gathering steam to get the hell outa Dodge.
I caught glimpse of that white splash one more time and let him have it again.
Two shots of 165gr core lkt/06 to the chest and Shazam, he's gone!
I turned tail and headed for the door, where the whole family is wide awake. Two little kids and a wife. My 10yo son behind me as we go out looking for the bear. He went 10' and lied down, apparently dead.
Ive got him lit up with a mag light and poked him right on the head with my loaded /06. That SOB let out the loudest groan I've ever heard. The boy and I ran the hell outa there and didn't go out until sunup the next day.
Massive boar all of 500#.
Got an earful from DFG, but damnit that bear was coming in and there's no way in hell that was gonna happen.
If I were to change anything about the situation was I never should have went outside, esp with a junior. If that beR had been up/conscious we'd been dead.

dthome

Reaction score
Had a bear on the back deck working its way into the house at 3am.
Grabbed the rifle and slid around the house with my sa /06, in my skivvies.
Poked my head around the corner and he busted me. At 15' away in complete darkness we met eyes. He didn't run and instead got down on all fours and was headed my direction walking quickly.
When the safety made its "click" he stopped moving forward but sideways to me, where he had an advantage.
Being how he was up on the deck and I was at a lower level than him I was virtually eye to eye with him when I shot him right in the white splash on his chest. He stood briefly, spinning and gathering steam to get the hell outa Dodge.
I caught glimpse of that white splash one more time and let him have it again.
Two shots of 165gr core lkt/06 to the chest and Shazam, he's gone!
I turned tail and headed for the door, where the whole family is wide awake. Two little kids and a wife. My 10yo son behind me as we go out looking for the bear. He went 10' and lied down, apparently dead.
Ive got him lit up with a mag light and poked him right on the head with my loaded /06. That SOB let out the loudest groan I've ever heard. The boy and I ran the hell outa there and didn't go out until sunup the next day.
Massive boar all of 500#.
Got an earful from DFG, but damnit that bear was coming in and there's no way in hell that was gonna happen.
If I were to change anything about the situation was I never should have went outside, esp with a junior. If that beR had been up/conscious we'd been dead.
Tell us more about your interaction with CDFW. Why did they give you an earful? Any other tips based on you interaction with them?

Bossbrott

Reaction score
Tell us more about your interaction with CDFW. Why did they give you an earful? Any other tips based on you interaction with them?
I told the story to the both of them a couple times, same exact story each time. Eventually it came down to questioning me as to why I immediately armed myself. Several times I'd repeated that my house/family was in immediate danger. I stuck to that line, it was the truth.
Conversely I asked them several questions as well. Like, should I have shot it with a pellet rifle in the nose, maybe let the dogs out, etc. Every question I asked was received with a stern NO, you cannot do that as it is animal harassment!
We failed to agree. They didn't Like my style of going straight for the /06, and I presumed they were more worried about the welfare of this animal over the welfare of my family.
Ultimately they gave me the nod as my wife and kids were getting the same feeling about whose welfare they were more concerned about.
The bear WAS of trophy size and given if I had a bear tag I still wouldn't harvest the damn thing as it was the local trash bear, and he was able to come/go at his pleasure destroying everything in his path, like a criminal in a sanctuary city.
If it were to happen again I'd respond very similarly.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Yes it is sad but not uncommon evidently, been getting into the tv series on discovery channel I believe called “I WAS PREY” and a lot of bear attack encounter stories like that, I can’t believe myself that I was hunting black bear at times by myself with a bow but I always carried bear mase and a Big A$$ knife in case , of course a grizzly encounter is on a whole different level then a black bear encounter. In one episode a bowhunter sprayed the bear mase in his eyes by accident, Chit happens! And I have rethought hunting grizzly with a bow that’s on my bucket list, I want a guide with a 50 cal. For backup and maybe some gernades....lol...tra

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Some high adventure there bossbrott.

I just went through a CCW class and the retired deputy told everyone what needs to come out of your mouth in any shooting is "I was in fear for my life." I was in immediate danger is close enough.

dthome

Reaction score
I told the story to the both of them a couple times, same exact story each time. Eventually it came down to questioning me as to why I immediately armed myself. Several times I'd repeated that my house/family was in immediate danger. I stuck to that line, it was the truth.
Conversely I asked them several questions as well. Like, should I have shot it with a pellet rifle in the nose, maybe let the dogs out, etc. Every question I asked was received with a stern NO, you cannot do that as it is animal harassment!
We failed to agree. They didn't Like my style of going straight for the /06, and I presumed they were more worried about the welfare of this animal over the welfare of my family.
Ultimately they gave me the nod as my wife and kids were getting the same feeling about whose welfare they were more concerned about.
The bear WAS of trophy size and given if I had a bear tag I still wouldn't harvest the damn thing as it was the local trash bear, and he was able to come/go at his pleasure destroying everything in his path, like a criminal in a sanctuary city.
If it were to happen again I'd respond very similarly.
Glad you kept your cool, and stuck to your convictions. I don't understand why the wardens would give you a hard time. What could you possibly have to gain by shooting a bear on your porch and then calling them? Nothing but hassle! If more homeowners followed your example, we'd have a healthier bear population, in my opinion.

Top Bottom