D14, let's hear it

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Westy and I found a nice buck last year but never got a shot near Big Bear. Booklet shows 115 bucks taken last year. 2 pointers, 56.5%, 3 pointers 26.1%, 4 pointers 13.9%, better than a 4 point 2.6%.

With all the fire areas bouncin back and some rain this spring it should be a good fall????

What ya seein?

desertracer

Reaction score
I'm a newb so I'm not going to pretend I know what the hunting conditions are going to be this fall...but I don't recall having much rain in the last few months. I think we'll be lucky if a huge fire doesn't close the forest all together this year. The vegetation went from a healthy green to brown in a just a couple weeks...that was about 6 weeks ago. I cruised through the fire damaged area between Pilot Rock and Lake Arrowhead about 5 weeks ago and the ground was bare. I didn't notice much new growth.

So does it get really crowded up there on opening day? I've got my sights on a rather remote area where I'm guessing doesn't get much pressure. I don't know what potential it has to hold deer...but it is remote and I'm thinking that's the key to finding deer around here.

I know the success rate in D14 is bad, especially for a new hunter, but I can't wait to just spend some time in the woods in which I grew up...just never hunted.

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
Hay Jesse...fishing for a new area? LOL-LOL-LOL

I have seen quite a few actually while doing some yote calling. It was the time when they have no antlers so it is hard to tell what they were....except being deer. The law of averages would have to say that some were bucks. I will be going to where I saw a lot during my bear hunting spots of last year also. I did not have a D-14 tag last year but I will this year. I saw enough to warrant that.

Both locations are near water sources. When it gets a little closer, before bow season, lets do a little scouting trip and I will show you mine if you show me yours.....

I will be putting my camera up on one soon....pics don't lie?

R

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Randy,

Just seein who cold tell the biggest stories for D14. Any fawns spotted yet?

desertracer

Reaction score
I almost forget...I saw a trio feeding off of hwy 330 a few weeks ago. I stopped and watched them for a while. A male and two younger ones...couldn't tell the sex. I would guess the two young ones were born last spring. Not little...but definitely not full grown. Got some video of it too just to see if I could figure out what they were eating.

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
Jesse, if you were up there recently, did Sugarloaf burn?

Randy

Sodhunter

Reaction score
D-14. Labor Day weekend bow season opens. The next week fires start breaking out. The next week they close the forest. Can't exchange your license anymore cause the season opened. If your lucky you get two weeks with a bow, and the last weekend with a rifle if it rains a LOT. Meanwhile the illegals poach all the deer all fall anyhow. That area used to be so good. Sorry, don't want to jack the thread but seeing D-14 and fire set me off.

caz-kora

Reaction score
Randy, I have been hunting d14 for a few years, I would love to scout with a fellow member,

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
No burn on Sugarloaf. Butler Peak would be the closest to that area that burned.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom