D16/G13???

studmanbri

Reaction score
Anyone hunt D16 in the forum. I drew a G13 tag this year so I'm gonna get a D16 and I can shoot a Buck and a doe. I have never hunted this area even though it is close to me. I've always done the drive to my A zone haunts. This year I'm changing it up a bit. I have talked to people who say the Palomar area is good, what's it like? Is the area crowded? Are the animals big out there or the average 100lbers in the rest of SoCal? I need a little help as it is time to start scouting. Also, are there any bear in the area? I might as well fill all the tags! :confused: Hook me up fellas! Oh, and I'm not an over optimistic road hunter, no atv's in my garage, only two legs and a frame pack.:)

Common Sense

Reaction score
Like 30 years ago dad and I drew G13. Only time I've been there, and have no plans to return. We did no scouting or anything; spent 5 days searching. We found very few tracks and saw one deer that was running like heck and so far away we couldn't tell if it was a doe or a buck. On the way home while in sight of of highway 10, we almost ran over some with the truck. We stayed another night, and both fill our tags.

outdoorsman35

Reaction score
A doe is pretty easy. a legal buck you will have to work for. should be no problem though if you are a good hunter. I will probably be hunting D16 and G13 too so maybe i give you some tips during the season. I am familiar with almost every inch of public area in the zone. I can put you on doe but I would have to make a deal for something for that.

Good Luck!

Vermonster

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of each, just not while hunting..... :(

I drew a G13 tag also, so hopefully I will be able to get some meat this year for the freezer. However, i expect to see nothing but big bucks during the G-13 hunt, as I will not have a D-16 tag (A-22 is my other one) :roll-wink-green:

Vermonster

Reaction score
Yes, but there are lots of hunters up there. Find a place with no hunters, and you're golden..... :roll-wink-green:

m_freeman

Reaction score
I hunted D16 for the first time last year, well my first year deer hunting in Kalifornia!
I have hiked and camped the area for many years as well.
I have never seen a buck in D16, I have seen some big tracks by any standards and I have seen many nice size does for SoCa 140lbs maybe, always see them when it is almost dark at dusk.
90% of the deer I have seen are usually a whisker inside a prohibited hunting zone mostly Anza Borrego State Park. I honestly think the deer know where the boundary lines in this County are. I have never hunted Palomar, but have always seen deer on private land up there. The most deer in one group I have ever seen in my outdoors time here is 4 does out towards the State Park. Big difference from the 400 I counted one night in Utah! You can bag a doe here but you will have to work for it.

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
forget bear hunting in D-16, as far as crowded yes with a capital Y, I also hike into less crowded areas but there seems to be more hunters every year, our problem down here is lots of hunters all trying to hunt a little bit of productive land, if you have time to scout this summer you should be able to locate deer in pocket's, unless you have private land to hunt on Palomar I would look elsewhere

Latest Posts

Top Bottom