D3-5 Any places to start

Hunter2003

Reaction score
Ok i know everyone is getting a little tired of everyone asking were to go but I need some help in D3-5. I am planning on getting a scouting trip up in D3-5 before the archery opener and dont really know were to start. I live in Sacramento and would like an area about an hour to hour and a half away maximum. Any help what so ever would be great if you want you can PM me.

Thanks

Backcountry

Reaction score
Foresthill Divide or Georgetown Divide (they both meet up back near Ice House Res.)... go as high and as far back as you can, then walk for another couple hours (to the East). I guarantee you'll see deer if you are at your glassing spot by 5:30am... whether you can stalk within bow range is another thing.

Anything within an hour to an hour-and-a-half of Sacradementia is going to be barely at the boundary of private property and the National Forest; moreover, the deer that live in those locales are non-migratory and tend to be a bit smaller than the true migratory muleys higher up.

If you're willing to drive 2.5+ hours, you can get back into some darn good mule deer areas behind Ice House Res.

Good luck.

Backcountry

Hunter2003

Reaction score
How exactly do you get to the foresthill divide? The only thing i can find about it is take I-80 east towards auburn get off foresthill divide road and head east then it says stay on forest hilldivide road for 5-10 miles and it says there will be a large parking area on the left across from Drives flat rd. but this place talked about it being a bicyle trail so I am not sure if that is what you were talking about. Thanks for the info. the help is very appreciated.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Like Backcountry said, you'll have to drive a bit farther than that.....gotta get higher up. There's NF property up the road, i think it's above the town of Forrest Hill.

Backcountry

Reaction score
Foresthill Divide is the whole ridge system between the north and middle forks of the American River. Once you leave Foresthill you'll be at about your driving limit of 1-1.5 hours from Sac.; however, if you continue 6 miles past Foresthill you enter the National Forest and you can hunt all the way to the Sierra Crest. There is no "one place to park"... there are infinite places to park, take your pick.

I'm not going to tell you any better than that because at those elevations (4,000'-7,000' feet) it's basically all fair to decent hunting, if you know how/where to hunt and do a bit more research using topographic maps and air photos.... those resources will show you areas that are higher than surrounding areas, located close to water, cover, and food, and more than a mile away from roads (including dirt roads). Don't think I'm telling you there's just one spot... there are dozens upon dozens with the criteria I just decribed. (Ok, I'll tell you one spot... the EXTREMELY rough terrain of the canyon of the North Fork of the American River, way up in the cliffs, holds some great deer.)

Couple of caveats... I don't know if you are rifle hunting or bowhunting, but if it's rifle, I'd encourage you to wear some blaze orange as you will see uncountable numbers of other hunters on opening weekend of rifle season. You'll see less hunters and more deer if you are willing to walk a few miles from your vehicle. During bow season, it's not quite that bad, but still you'll probably loose count. Also, you aren't expecting to drive 1.5 hours from Sac., park the vehicle, see the deer, shoot the deer, and be home by noon are you? 95% of the time that's not the way it happens. There's a reason annual hunter sucess ratios are only about 10%, and that's because those that aren't willing, or unfortunately can't, invest some time and energy are by and large skunked every year. What's worse, some years you can work your ass off and never get a shot (e.g., last year I hunted 20 days total in A and D5 over both bow and rifle seasons and never got a deer, but that's kind of the odd exception and a pillar of bad luck).

All that said, Foresthill Divide hold lots of non-migratory mule deer year round, and the higher reaches (above 7,000' and about 3 hours from Sac.) even hold migratory mule deer. If you can plan to drive a bit more and spend several days hunting, and you do your research with maps and try to get in a scouting trip or two, your odds of sucess increase dramatically.

Good luck! Backcountry

p.s. That area is also one of the thickest in the state for bears... if shooting a bear interests you, buy a bear tag, as you will probably see multiple bears.

Backcountry

Reaction score
Also, read this... it will give you locations, how and where to get maps, what maps to get, etc...

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/deer/zoneinf...oneinfo2004.pdf

Keep in mind that 20,000 other guys have read the same thing and you won't be finding any secrets in there, but still, the information is solid and really useful if you're just starting out. The secret is to use topo maps to find areas that are geographically similar to the ones described, but that you've never heard a peep about... that's where you want to hunt.

Take pictures!!! Backcountry

Steve K

Reaction score
Hunter 2003
It is my understanding that the Forest Hill Divide is that area between the North and Middle Forkes and the Georgtown Divide is that area between the Middle and South Forkes of the American River. There are a "Ton" of Deer in both areas and I think they are about the hardest to hunt that California has to offer.
First thing, get a Tahoe and Eldorado National Forest Map's then send me an e mail and I'll geve you a few places you might want to look at.
For what it worth, Steve K.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Ditto on the Ice House deal. I used to hunt above Wrights Lake north of Kybur. We would camp at the lake and then hike towards the Desolation Widerness
We would also follow the Rubicon.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom