D380 not firing

doobie

Reaction score
I have a D380 and a RSS pixcontroller with the rss chip set. I have almost completed my first camera system. I have the camera wired to the controller using a submini jack. The camera is not taking pictures when it should. Here is whats going on:

Camera on and plugged into jack. Motion sensor goes off. nothing happens.

Unplug the cam from the jack. As soon as its plugged back in it takes a picture automatically. The same will happen if you slide the cover closed all the way and re-open it.

I have tried with the camera slide cover all the way open or slide closed partially. When it is slid closed partially it does not power on or take a pix.

Can anyone pleaase help?
Thanks.

bat

Reaction score
doobie welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a shortage between two of the wires in your connector. What are the numbers of your mini connector and plug you are using... maybe that will help determine the problem. Did you do a continuity check on the wires after you added the jack and plug or maybe check to see which soldering spot on the jack and plug matched before soldering wires to them. The jack and plug is usually where you will find most problems like this at.

A partially closed door on the D-380 will shut the camera off, it does not have to move very far for this to happen.
bat

doobie

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I am using a RS Plug # 274-244 and jack # 274-245. I dont have the ability to or know how to do a continuity check. I have visually checked the solder points and dont see any bleed over. I matched the solder points with a post on this sight posted march 7th of '03

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/forums/in...ST&f=50&t=32651

and a PDF file I downloaded from pixcontoller, so those connection points i believe are acurate. I am think about wiring it directly to the camera tonight to try and isolate the problem.

bat

Reaction score
doobie that plug will work ok, it is just a straight version of the 90* plug that I use. I use the 274-298 plug. Unplug the wires going to the pix board and also the same from the camera. Now do a continuity test on all combinations of the plug. Tip to the second joint, tip to the ground of the plug and the second joint to the ground. Those plugs are very easily shorted out as you solder the wires to them. It sounds like you may have a shortage between the shutter and the common or maybe the wires are crossed up somewhere in either the plug or the jack. Good luck with it.
bat

ok I reread your post and I see you said you do not have the ability to do a continuity test. This requires a simple tester that you can get from RS for around $10-15 and it will come in handy. Ask the RS person to see if they have one in stock. You would need to know what to put the tester on to do the continuity check. Then just touch one wire from the tester to a soldering spot and the other wire to another soldering spot on the plug. If the meter moves you have a shortage between the two. If it does not move then everything is ok. You can also build a simple tester for this using something like a flashlight bulb and a couple of batteries but it is a little clumsy to use.

doobie

Reaction score
ok Bat, thanks for the help. I narrowed it down to the plug itself. Not sure where the problem lies with it, but i can simply try to solder a new one on. With the cam hard wired it works properly, except for one thing. According to the instruction I downloaded from pixcontroller, I should slide the lens partially closed and let the board turn the camera on. With the lens closed some the camera will not turn on and take a pix. I should note that I do have an external power supply for the camera. Any thoughts?
Again, I appreciate all the help.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Doobie,

You have an RSS board? thats an Always on controller that utilizes a refresh and the Door needs to be 100% open and camera always powered on.

If your Using the Rspi Board then this board is a On/off controller and then the door needs to be partially closed like you referenced.

These 2 cameras wire completely differantly and need to be used with the corresponding controller...

Dan

doobie

Reaction score
I gotcha OhioBowHunter. Makes sense. Thanks for all the help you two. I will try a new plug when I get one and should be up and running.
Happy hunting.

bat

Reaction score
np doobie, let us know if it works, if not we will try something else.
bat

doobie

Reaction score
still having troubles. tried to delete this reply but could only edit it. so, i will submit a new post as soon as i answer a question or two of mine.

bat

Reaction score
doobie if you have a spare plug that you can use try this for me. Make sure the camera is turned off. With the cover off of the spare plug and no wiring connected to it connect it to your jack. Turn your camera on now with the slide door.

Now take something like a paper clip so you can straighten it out and bend it into two legs, lay this on the two soldering spots closest to the jack, not the tip end but the soldering end is where I want you to do this. The tip should be inserted into the jack at this point. Take something else and connect the end of the plug to the paper clip. It should flash and shutter a picture doing this. This will tell you the jack and camera wiring is ok. At least to a point.

If that worked for you, turn the camera back off and connect the camera plug that you have soldered onto the pix plug. Now turn the camera back on. Take the paper clip and stick the two ends into the pix plug for the refresh and flash holes. Now insert something else into the common hole and connect it to the paper clip. That should fire off the camera. I think this will work doing it, try it and see and let me know what you find.
bat

doobie

Reaction score
Bat,
I did what you suggested with a spare plug. The camera snap a shot with each try. You kind of lost me a little on the second part. Can you elaborate?

Nothing quite like intermitent electrical problems
I have tried the above several times, sometimes it works, others it dont. I am thinking I need to tear the camera apart and take another look at the jack itself. What I am noticing with a new plug, with no soldering attachments, is sometimes when its plugged into the camera I will turn it on it snaps a shot!
Frustration city

doobie

Reaction score
Ok, I got it all figured out for sure this time

Typical intermitent electrical problem, very simple to fix but oh what a PAIN to figure out.

The design of the small black jack is to blame. On its sides are these small cut outs in the plastic. To what purpase they serve, who knows. Oh wait, its to irritate guys like me.
When the unit was in place inside the camera, the common wire would slightly touch the shutter wire. That is, through this small opening, and only ever so slightly. Sometimes not making contact at all.

I should note for those reading this post;
Make sure your plug makes firm contact with the jack post (that would be the threed male stud) not the nut itself.

Thank you to all of those that helped me with this problem. Your help was much appreceiated.

bat

Reaction score
Yep doobie I was fixing to tell you to check the jack when I read your post this morning. I "know" exactly what you are talking about. That little flat ground sticks out right on top on one of the other lugs. It can get bent down very easily. I either put tape over the one below it or just turn the flat one around to the side of the jack to keep this from happening.

Glad you found the problem!

bat

Latest Posts

Top Bottom