new to hunting going up highway 50 want 2 hunt camp any ideas on were i can camp and hunt deer:smiley_green_with_e i got a d5 tag


Well-known member
sure...search this forum, lots of information has been posted by super smart hunters!!!

or buy a map and do a little actual research on your own and do it DIY and not DIO!!!

Best of luck and be safe while hunting up there.


Well-known member
I don't know that zone, but maybe this info from the DFG website can be helpful. Be sure to get the National Forest maps for the area and they will show all the roads and official campsites -- you can even copy them in color online from the National Forest website.

Historically, some of the more popular and productive deer hunting areas in Zone D-5 include:​
Alpine County:​
Areas around Blue Lakes, Mount Reba and Bear Valley on the north side of Highway 4;
Higher elevations and peaks south of Highway 4 and around Highland Lake and Pacific Valley; Carson-
Iceberg and Mokolumne Wilderness Areas, which offer some opportunity for pack-in hunting.

Amador County:​
Areas around Silver Lake and east of Bear River Reservoir; and Mount Plasse, Onion
Valley, Foster Meadows and southwest of Caples Lake.

Calaveras County:​
Areas around Black Springs/Cabbage Patch, Mattley Meadows and Bear Trap Basin
in the eastern portion of the county; Hermit Springs, Upper Bailey Ridge and Cuneo Camp at midelevations
on a combination of USFS and private timber lands.

El Dorado County:​
Areas around Bunker Hill and McKinstry Peak; Van Vleck, Upper Bassi and Tells
Peak; Slick Rock, Wrights Lake, Granite Springs and Lyons Creek west to Ice House Reservoir; and
Cody Meadows, Leek Springs Lookout and upper end of Alder Ridge on the south side of Highway 50.
Deer move into the intermediate range and winter range areas following October storms. Intermediate
range areas are generally between 4000 - 5500 feet. It is normal to have storms after October 20 that
result in deer movement. Some of the intermediate and winter range areas include:
Peavine Ridge on the north side of Highway 50 (El Dorado County); Alder Creek area on the south side
of Highway 50 (El Dorado County); along the north/south road between Iron Mountain Road and Highway
88 (El Dorado and Amador County); Blue Mountain, Lower Bailey Ridge, Summit Level Ridge and in the
Westpoint/Bald Mountain area on the western edge of USFS lands (Calaveras County).
In addition, Georgia-Pacific controls large blocks of land in the intermediate and winter range areas and
much of it is behind locked gates. Foot access is allowed by permit.
For additional information about deer hunting in California, see the Department’s publication “Guide To
Hunting Deer In California” at the following web site:




Well-known member
Be advise that for the wilderness areas you'll need a permit from the ranger station if you want to stay overnight there (Mokelume for example).


Well-known member
I've read this before, but have always wondered why?
I don't know exactly why but I guess it has something to do with the number of people allowed to travel to certain areas...

"The following regulations apply to all Wilderness use on the Stanislaus National Forest.

  1. Wilderness visitors must possess a valid Wilderness Visitor's Permit for overnight trips.
A Wilderness Visitor's Permit is required for overnight visits to the Carson-Iceberg, Emigrant and Mokelumne Wildernesses.
Only one permit is required for trips which are continuous and pass through more than one Wilderness. One permit is required per trip per group. If you have a larger group than is permitted, reduce the number of people, split the group to visit different areas, or visit an area which permits larger numbers.
You are not permitted to camp or travel within one mile of a related group. Special regulations for recreation, pack and saddle stock use are attached to the Wilderness permit. Your permit doubles as a campfire permit while in the Wilderness. See Wilderness Regulations for general and Wilderness-specific regulations."

More info here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110516&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003693&navid=100000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&recid=15105&ttype=recarea&pname=Stanislaus%2520National%2520Forest%2520-%2520Wilderness%2520Areas


Well-known member
Thanks. I am assuming you can get this permit at any Stanisluas N' forest ranger station? Free of charge?


Well-known member
I hunted D-5 for the first time last year. I got lucky and dropped a nice 4X4 on opening morning. We hunted above Union Valley Res. at the 7000' elevation. We made a dry camp in the National Forest and hiked 2-3 miles every day to get away from other hunters. We never saw another footprint and we saw deer. My brother missed a bigger buck as well as a smaller 3X3. Stop at a National Forest Office and pick up the map published by National Geographic called Trails Illustrated. Beside it being topo., it is water and tear resistant and has all the same roads and trails as the National Forest map that they produce. I will say, don't park off the roads more than 1 vehicle length away from the edge and leave the Quads on the roads. The Forest Service enforce the rules in El Dorado National Forest like they're the fricken Nazi's. Try to look for and area with no roads or poor access and hike early, bring a GPS. Pretty country, you might think about getting a bear tag, we saw several last year but no tags. Good luck and keep us posted.


Well-known member
Got to love the national forest nazi's, I am so glad we have people like that. "Keep public lands open to the public"

Huntr Pat

Well-known member
Help keep the junk out of our public lands that would soon close it for us by means stupid irresponsible actions.

Top Bottom