D7 map info help please.

Dave in LB

Reaction score
I am looking for some good maps of D7. Topos, and over all area maps to aid in scouting. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Two years ago I hunted around Jack Ass lake area. Not a single buck sighting. I am thinking about trying to get closer to the national Park area in case any of the park animals wander out. ( not likely) Is this a good stragey and are there any recomended camp sites? I will be camoping in a tent and most likely hunting from my car( sad though it is I have no truck yet.) All info appreciated.

Jake

Reaction score
Dave,

I would imagine that there are some USFS maps for that area. Topozone.com is also an option that may be worth checking into. Sport Chalet may have maps for that area as well.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Backcountry

Reaction score
The CA-DFG Deer Zone Information webpage for D7 (in PDF format) will have a list of maps at various scales for D7. From DFG's homepage follow links to hunting, big game, deer, zone information, etc...

Backcountry

easymoney

Reaction score
Dave,
Look at Jesses links and you will find some good info.
My reccomendation from years of chasing muleys in the Sierras, is to get in shape, go light, get as far away from roads, trails, lakes and campgrounds as possible. Otherwise all you will see is other hunters and hikers. Especially opening and closing weekends.
It is BIG country, very steep, very high and the majority of deer are within the park boundries till after the first nasty weather. There are numerous roads but that also means numerous roadhunters.
Good luck...

rlwright

Reaction score
For a general reference of roads and landmarks, I would get the forest service map. In fact I would highly recomend one because the roads don't have names they are all numbered. I've hunted the jackass lakes area a few times. Last year we backpacked to the upper lake and all I saw where grouse and marmots. I didn't see any deer until we hiked back out of there and started hunting closer to the roads. The USGS 7.5 minute topo maps are the best. Pick an area on your forest service map and get a quad sheet. You can do a lot of scouting/planning at your desk with one. Last year the wind seemed to come from the southwest most of the time.

This year I plan on hunting a spot near Bowler and then trying near squaw dome. I think I found an escape route near Bowler

FooZ

Reaction score
Got a comment on the Jackass Lake area, forget about hiking out there... hunt close to the roads if you want to bag a forkie in that area, or if you want to hike, go up towards Cora Lake, more potential in that area and beware of bears, They're everywhere...... You really want a shooter buck, Go NE part of that area, Try Iron Mtn. definitely shooters out there....

FooZ

rlwright

Reaction score
Hey FooZ, how is the hike in to Iron mtn? It almost looks like it's in X9A..............

FooZ

Reaction score
rlwright,

The borders between Fresno County and Mono County comes right dead center on Iron Mtn. If you hunt East of Iron Mtn., you'll be in Mono County or X9-A. You'll be fine as long as you're west of Iron Mtn, in the Iron Lake area.... How's the hike?, It's no walk in the park, that's for sure.... only serious!!! I mean dead serious and persistent hunters should only venture out that way... Majority of the X9-A herd crosses back and fourth between the borders, you can catch them at the right time and place. If you're not welling to hike that far, try Sadler's Peak, North of Cora Lake.... a very decent area to hunt..... I barely see hunters out there, these areas are not for the weak minded, who packs a BEER belly out there....... So if you're alreay in shape, keep it up.... and if you're not... good LUCK!!! stick with the road killz.......

FooZ

rlwright

Reaction score
It looks like the hike to Iron mtn. involves going down to the river and then back up the other side of the drainage. Can you make the hike in a day or do you camp at the river the first day? Hows the fishin at Iron Lake?

On paper Cora Lakes looks like an easier climb then upper Jackass but alot further of a hike, Is that the case?

Thanks for the reply, this helps me plan my hunt. I've only got about 2 days of vacation this season.

seeryfly

Reaction score
Anyone hiked up to deer lakes or Iron mountain from the Mammoth side. How is it? Where do you hunt? It's my first year in D7. Hunted D8 with no sucess last year.

Backcountry

Reaction score
I've been up to Deer Lakes many times... if you are in good shape you can do that hike a just a couple hours with a light pack starting from either Lake George or the Duck Pass trailhead (about 5 miles and 2,500' elevation gain from either trailhead)... if you're used to that type of terrain it's not even that bad of a hike, but it will get your blood pumping... however, if you are not in good shape and/or not used to the altitude, then you are going to be severely knackered as the trail is steep and at high elevation (i.e., 11,000+ feet)... for many people it's at the limit of what they can do in a day. Also, be damn sure you don't blast an X9A deer as that's a prime spot for the game wardens to look for zone violations.

Iron Mountain can be accessed from the Devils Postpile National Monument... I don't know what they think about firearms there, but I'd be concerned about traveling through there with one. Call the USFS in Mammoth for advice. If Devils Postpile says no guns, you can start from Agnews Meadows which will add several miles to your trek. Be advised, that road will close with the first snowfall any time after September 1st... if your vehicle gets stuck in there, you are responsible for getting it towed out... happens to people every year and the wrecker fees can be a couple grand depending on how bad the snow is. It's a moderate 7 miles (and 3,000' feet elevation gain) hike from Devils Postpile... again, if you're in good shape it will simply get your blood pumping... if you aren't in so great of shape, you'll be having some Type III fun (Type III fun= not fun when you're doing it, and not fun looking back on it), or you'll end up on the S&R roster (you DON'T want that!). If you are seriously burley, park at the Horseshoe Lake trailhead and hike all the way to Iron Mountain from the Lakes Basin above Mammoth... I've done that on tele skis (to the Minarettes just north of iron Mountain) in the winter and it was a spectacularly beautiful trip, and damn hard too... took me three days!

As for where the deer are, they are where you find them, and in the early season they'll be all over the highest elevations of Mammoth Crest... I can't speak first hand for Iron Mountain as I've never been up there, but I've seen big deer all over the Minarettes and Banner and Ritter, so I suspect there would be bucks around Iron Mountain too. As others have said, BEARS ARE EVERYWHERE, and if you are in Ansel Adams or John Muir Wilderness Areas it is MANDATORY that you store all food and toiletries in a bear can. Do not step off the pavement without one or you can be fined and ejected from the wilderness.

Good luck, and take a partner... that's big country, but it holds some big deer, and in my mind the Range of Light is one of the most spectacular areas of the Sierras.

Backcountry

Backcountry

Reaction score
FYI, the Fish Creek Hot Springs, also known as Iva Bell Hot Springs, are one of my favorite backcountry (say my name) destinations in California. Eleven moderate miles the easy way from Reds Meadow (there are several more difficult ways to get there, namely over Duck pass, etc...).

I have seen lots of deer in Cascade Valley and from the looks of the deer zone maps, that is deep in the bowels of D7... have fun getting a deer out of there, as that will be the big achievement, not finding one to shoot.

Backcountry

seeryfly

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Backcountry. I guess you really have to work for the good spots here in Kali. I am in descent shape, but I know the altitude is going to make it harder. Need to do some conditioning trips. You would think the lack of good air in the valley here would be about the same as the lack of oxygen at 10k. Hope to see you out there!

Backcountry

Reaction score
Please don't get the gist of my post wrong... like a lot of guys, I've killed a few bucks right off the side of the road; however, that’s not the type of “hunting” that I find very fulfilling. On the other hand, I’ll honestly say that the few times a nice buck has crossed my path when I was driving, if I could stop to take a legal shot (i.e., out of the truck & off the road), I did. Hunting opportunities just aren’t what they were in the past and I’ve had my fair share of seasons harvesting no bucks, so I take what’s put in front of me. That said, I’m just one guy, and I choose to try to hunt far from the roads where hard work pays off with more than just a chance at a real trophy… there’s the solitude, the beauty of unspoiled wilderness, and the hard work in and of itself that provides a sense of accomplishment even when the hunts aren’t successful.

There are deer to be had in California that you can drive right up to... usually these are not the biggest nor smartest bucks, and almost always you'll have hunters on all sides of you vying for the same shot, but these places exist.

Regardless of how you hunt or where you hunt, have a great season and be sure to post up if you’re successful!

Backcountry

Dave in LB

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights guys. Backcountry thanks for the expoundings. It's been a couple of years since I strapped my pack on for a good high altitude hike. I will really have to consider that option. I will be hunting by myself most likely so i am looking for a good place to park and a camp most likely and maybe I'll take the pack and head off the beaten path...this all presupposes that I can huint before I have to go to NM for my sister-in-laws wedding. I may end up shelving the season because I can't take time off for both.

Hawghunter

Reaction score
You have access to a computer,
I bought a program called Map Print USA. I got it on sale for $1.99. It has the whole usa on it. And in 7.5 min maps, usgo topo. Hunt out of your car and bring your lap top. Use the tecnology availiable. I bring a printer to. Inc case I find of or hear of a new place.
ps-- was in yousemite last weekend. You would not believe the bucks I saw. Will pray to find one like it in D-7 this year.
Pray for en-nino.
Mark

Top Bottom