D7 Opener report+ dinkey lakes & elevation feedback

artinmata

Reaction score
Hey fells,

I hunted around Fresno Dome, iron mountain and quartz over opening for a day and saw lots of Doe and one non legal sporky(fawn size) as you all know it was a war zone so I tried hitting spots that was hard to reach but again no Luck for me. elevations I covered were from 6000ft to 9000 and I saw groups in all elevation.

I really liked the area but have been planning long to hit Dinkey lakes wilderness area for the second full moon of the season.

Question: did any of you hunt that area? is it crowded by 4x4 clubs and hikers? what was your take of the area.

my google earth research shows lots of granite tops as well as several meadows....mostly arounf 9000 elevation(will the deer/bear still be up there second week of October?

any help would be appreciated.

PS* thank you Jesseshunting for re-lunching the forum.

Last edited:

DonQuixote

Reaction score
Tons of hikers in the summer, but not this time of the year. I used to hike there a bunch as a kid. Not sure how many 4x4s are in that area.

Bobbrown

Reaction score
I wont hunt on full moon. They are feeding longer during full moon due to better lighting and will rest more in the day without moving. These my experiences throughout the years and it seems to be a waste of time for me. Dinky lake areas were really good in the early 2000s' and haven't been there in ages. Good luck!

artinmata

Reaction score
Thanks for the Advise BOB, I personally prefer new moon but hey we all work and more importantly have WIFE, so that's the only time I can make it for a 6 day hunt. Also full moon for road hunters sucks but if when I hike in and find their resting spots it's easier to track(my opinion and experience.

DON,
there are plenty on OHV trails there. Swamp and brewer lake OHV(south) dusy ershim(north an east) red lake/coyote lake(west). they all lead to the borders of dinkey lakes wilderness. I was wondering how busy are those routes during deer season since I they're busy can have positive and negative result.(Either will push t game into the wilderness or away!)

DonQuixote

Reaction score
I know there's lots of jeep trails, just don't know how many guys are out this time of year. I agree with Bob on the full moon. Opening weekend was a bust thanks to the full moon + really warm weather. Shouldn't be as bad once it cools down after this weekend though. Good luck up there!

Top Bottom