D7 opening weekend creek fire

HuntinWabbit

Reaction score
Trying not to be selfish, but d7 deer season was supposed to start this weekend. If you hunters are anything like me, it's the one time you look forward to all year. The beauty and quietness of the forest. The time alone and disconnected from every other stress you may have in your life. Camping with friends and family. Of course hunting for the big boy we know is out there. My question is, with the creek and bullfrog fires, are we pretty much s.o.l. for this year? I'm the only female in an all guy hunting camp, and it seems I'm more upset then any of them. I keep searching the internet for some possible way, searching forums, and facebook. My husband says there is no crying in deer camp, but I'm real close and hoping there is still a way. 2020 has been so bad, I need this...we all need this. Anyone have any ideas, or should this girl just clean my 270 and put it back in the safe until next year?

KM6TAP

Reaction score
I only pulled archery tags this year. AO season in So Cal D zones is screwed. I got out opener, but it was Labor Day weekend. Holy crap, tons of people (non-hunters). Useless opening weekend. Then the fires. So last weekend and this one coming are toast (no pun intended). The last weekend this month, I'm already going on a 5-day fishing trip (tuna, yellowtail, etc.) so not all is lost. Thankfully, my other tag is a late season either sex tag. But yeah, this is very frustrating. Being at the archery range provides little solace from not being able to hunt/camp

fuzzymarindave

Reaction score
You could move down into the foothills onto private lands and hunt with a guide or get landowner permission. Its gonna cost you more and won't be the same forest experience but could be a nice trip.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
I feel you, I live for this time of the year and I'm pissed. There is a whole lot for me to unpack with the Forest Service and with CDFW, but I won't because this is your thread.

My consolationfor this hunting season (beyond my out of state tags) is that there are unlimited bear tags available in California. They are good statewide until the last Sunday of the year, or until quota of 1,700 have been killed. They are fun to hunt, tasty, and you find them where deer live.

So, if your zone stays closed, buy a bear tag and head up and down the state to open forests chasing bears. Plus, you may find some new deer hunting opportunities for the future.

But, I'm still very pissed about the whole closure.

k-thug

Reaction score
Just wait it out, and there really is no crying in deer camp. Your husband knows what’s up!

HuntinWabbit

Reaction score
I feel you, I live for this time of the year and I'm pissed. There is a whole lot for me to unpack with the Forest Service and with CDFW, but I won't because this is your thread.

My consolationfor this hunting season (beyond my out of state tags) is that there are unlimited bear tags available in California. They are good statewide until the last Sunday of the year, or until quota of 1,700 have been killed. They are fun to hunt, tasty, and you find them where deer live.

So, if your zone stays closed, buy a bear tag and head up and down the state to open forests chasing bears. Plus, you may find some new deer hunting opportunities for the future.

But, I'm still very pissed about the whole closure.
Just wait it out, and there really is no crying in deer camp. Your husband knows what’s up!
You guys are great! I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement. If nothing else, I know I'm not alone with how I feel. My father in law has lost all his camping and some hunting gear he left at our camp. The rest of the group, including my husband and I, planned to go up the weekend the fire started and set up our camp. It's so sad for anyone who lost their home or business. It's a real kick in the gut for all of us who have lost such a beautiful place. My father in law said something that put things in perspective for me. He said the forest and places I've loved to go are gone. I'll never see them the same way again in my lifetime. He is 73. I hope that isn't so. That crushed me. I will hunt again. Hopefully they get a hold on this fire once and for all, and the recovery, repairing , replanting and rebuilding can start. Thank all of you guys again. Where ever you end up this deer season, and the hunting you do in the years to come, I wish you all well. I really hope California and the dummy's who are running things never let this happen again. There is no excuse for it. But who am I kidding?

k-thug

Reaction score
Your father in law is right about the local forests changing and not being the same. Anyone who has hunted for their entire life has the exact same story. I remember hunting in areas that now have Walmarts and little league fields. But, don’t let that discourage you too much because it’s just part of human progress, unfortunately! There is still plenty of new ground to cover and new adventures to find. Maybe not in the location that you are referring to but this state and this country have plenty of opportunities for the sportsman, or “Sportsperson” in your case.

sportyg

Reaction score
If you archery hunt you can pick up an AO tag and hunt the desert areas not a lot of deer are taken from them but some of the states best deer have come out of the desert which is also one of the hardest hunt you will find in the state.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom