dads first time

killinturks

Reaction score
i was priviledged this week to be able to introduce my dad to the sport. he drew a tag for the fourth season and i was able to take the three mornings off that i was supposed to be at work. i had him test shoot my 870 at 30 and 40 yards beforehand and was confident that he was comfortable with the rig. i had planned to film this with my girlfriends video camera which i was only slightly familiar with. the first morning started out looking very promising. we got out early and set up in my old ice fishing shack.(which became dads deer hunting shack several years ago) let the woods settle down a while and made some tree calls. we received gobbles from 4 birds, none of which were neither extremely close or far away. called at intervals for an hour and one bird had worked his way into the edge of dads woods. he was coming through there very fast when he started coming in and at an angle which would put him on my side of the shack where dad couldnt get a shot. the way it looked to me he was going to by pass the dekes and not be able to see them so when he was within 40 yards i told dad to take the first good shot opportunity. its really brushy and it can be hard to get a good shot lots  of time so you cant pass on any. i set down my call and grabbed the video camera. i was trying to find the tom in the viewfinder  (im not very good at that) at one point i looked up and he was fanned out but then i tried unsuccessfully to try again to film him. i heard the shot and looked up. the bird jumped up and took off running but kind of strangely. i said shoot him again but it was too late so i just watched his path. we waited then looked where he was for sign. nothing could we find so we followed where i saw him run. at one place i found 20 or so small(3 - 4") feathers with some blood on them. we searched the woods and the neighbors hay field and found nothing.i assumed he went into the adjacent woods which is off limits. he was making a straight line for them while i still could see him and that was where it seemed he had come from. we went back to the shack and discussed this. dad couldnt remember if the bird was still fanned out when he shot and i had not told him that he shouldnt do this.if i had not been messing with the camera i would have been paying attention to the bird. this was a mistake to try using a camera i was not proficient with, i could have been monitoring the bird and been able to give the proper advice. i also feel that the bird was not going to do what i originally thought and may have gone into the decoys since he had started strutting and would have provided more time for shooting. i have to assume liability for this incident since i failed to do what i should have been doing. started calling again and within 15 minutes two more gobblers came into the woods but wouldnt close in to less than 80 yards. finally they just wandered off. the next two days it was windy and cold. one day we heard a bird fly down but went the other way. both days we got a few gobbles but then silence as they hit the ground. saturday was warmer and looked promising but still only a fw gobble then silence. we also watched a bird fly down and go the other way. today was warm but the only thing we saw was a hen in the disced corn field and distant gobbles. end of season. if it was only me i would have changed my setup but dad cant sit still and did not want to sit on the ground. cant say as i blame  him since he's no longer a spring chicken and would not be comfortable. i feel that i blew it on the first day screwing with the canera but at least i had a good time with dad. gotta take advantage of these good times when they are here because someday it will be too late. any way i'm rambling so i just wanna say happy hunting.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
killinturks

Same as hunting any other animal,Sometimes we make a mistake,it is a sad thing to have happen,you put out your best effort to find the bird and thats all that can be asked of a hunter,just be as ethical as possible,Next year your dad will peg one to the ground.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
That's kewl that you took your dad out turkey hunting killinturks. I usually have a camera or camcorder with me and it has cost me a few birds too by fiddling with it too much or at the wrong time.

killinturks

Reaction score
i think the basic problem with that was my lack of familiarity with it, i bought it for my girlfriend and dont use it much so when i do its a total lack of control. i should just buy a digital one and use it, at least then when i get some footage i can show it off to more than just family at home, we love watching hunting videos.

Lankyman

Reaction score
Killinturks,

That is awesome to ba able to spend time outdoors with your dad.  Just keep at it, ya'll will get him one.  I am sure that he loved just being out there with you.  This past October I had the great joy of callin' in my dad's first elk out in Colorado.  That is a memory that I'll cherish forever, being able to give back just a little of what he has given me over the past 30+ years.

killinturks

Reaction score
thats cool, its always great to pay them back something for all they did for us.

Tominator

Reaction score
Ol Treeclimber needs to let Junior borrow a shirt! Congrats on a special day Lankyman and Killinturks! I'm still waiting to call one to the gun for my dad. Between arthritis and fracturing his L-5 vertibrae in January he can't sit in one place long and we haven't been able to find one with a death wish yet.
Tominator

Top Bottom