daugherty hill

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I just returned from a fishing Collins Lake, and noticed that the Daugherty Hill Fish & Game Hunting Area can now be accessed from the Collins Lake property for the first time.  I walked down along the RV Storage Yard below the dam to the Fish & Game Access point, and could hear turkeys.  It should be fantastic hunting.

Richard

overdrawn

Reaction score
Richard...where is Collins Lake at? I live in s. calif and have not heard of it?

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Bow,

Directions from the Sacramento Area:

1: Leave Sacramento going north on I- 5 towards Redding
2: Go 6 miles to Highway 99 / 70 turnoff towards Yuba City & Marysville
3: Follow Highway 70 to Marysville
4: In downtown Marysville, Highway 70 intersects with Highway 20
5: Go east on Highway 20 towards Grass Valley
6: Follow Highway 20 for 12 miles to Marysville Rd (Rd E-21) turnoff
7: Turn left on to Marysville Rd. at the Union 76 Station
8: Follow Marysville Rd. for 10 miles to the entrance of Collins Lake
9: Turn right at the entrance and continue approx. 1/3 mile to the entry station
10:Driving time from Sacramento: (approx. 1.25hrs)

Collins Lake is on the Northern Boarder of the hunting area.  Here is the URL from Fish & Game:   Just click "Map":

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/newsites/wa/re...ghertyhill.html

ANNOUNCEMENT TO HUNTERS USING DAUGHERTY HILL WILDLIFE AREA:

Collins Lake Recreation Area will begin allowing a NEW ACCESS POINT into Fish & Game's Daugherty Hill Wildlife Area.

Collins Lake Recreation Area is located immediately Northeast of the Daughterty Hill Wildlife Area. In response to many requests to access the Daugherty Hill Wildlife Area through Collins Lake, Collins Lake's Rules & Regulations have been changed so access will now be permitted under the following conditions:

1. There is one point of access through the gate leading to the fenced storage facility near the dam. Parking must be at the South end of the Open Camping Area, near this access gate. Please do not block any road or gate. Maps are available in the Park Office.

2. Hunting is not allowed anywhere within the Collins Lake Recreation Area.

3. All firearms must be kept unloaded whenever within the Collins Lake Recreation Area. You must follow the State Hunting Regulations for safe use and transport of your firearm.

4. Normal entry fees still apply to enter Collins Lake Recreation Area.

5. Normal entry hours still apply to enter Collins Lake Recreation Area.

3/15/01 to 9/3/01: 5:30am to 10pm

9/4/01 to 10/31/01: 6:30am to 9pm

11/1/01 to 1/31/02: 8am to 4:30pm

If you want to access Daugherty Hill Wildlife Area before the entry gate is open to Collins Lake, then you will either need to use the Fish & Game access point off Dolan Harding Road or set up a camp in Collins Lake's Open Camping Area (so you will already be inside the Collins Lake Recreation Area before the front gates open up).

By opening up a new access point into this area, it will become much more convenient to quickly access some of the best hunting locations within this wildlife area. Collins Lake is one of Northern California's premier RV camping & fishing resorts, providing professional facilities which will benefit hunters using the Daugherty Hill Wildlife Area. Campsites with RV hookups, hot showers, laundry & a general store are also available. Collins Lake is open year round.

Richard

(Edited by Richard Webb at 9:28 pm on April 8, 2001)

B

Bullseye

I got a draw for april 3. having never hunted this area befor Iam going up on sat. to check it out. If anyone has some sugestions for me I would be most graetfull. this will be my first turkey hunt.

B

Bullseye

well I went up today, place looks good. I saw several flocks while out scouting only thing they were all on private land. didn't get any responce from my crow call. the weather was rainy maybe that had something to do with it. still if anyone has some addvise I could sure use it?

mudhen

Reaction score
The Daugherty Hill birds will move to private land quickly, they always do.  Many landowners feed them and hunt the birds themselves.  It is one of the most controversial areas involving trespasssing so watch the boundaries.  Arrests are common.  I have seen toms there on rooftops of houses, in driveways, chasing the family dog, etc.  It's also chock full of catamounts - look for the tracks!

Many people see birds before season and see little after the first few days.  Opening week should be the best, after that get ready for the crowds.  I once counted 40+ vehicles in and around that little parking area on a Wednesday!

I once met a pair of oldtimers who hunted there 11 straight days, from dark to dark, until they finally got a tom & a bearded hen.  They let me in on their secret.  They hunted 10 straight days from dark to shooting time without seeing a bird.  On the evening of the 10th day, using their spotting scope, they managed to located a roosted tom at dusk.  They returned 2 hours before daylight the next morning.  They set up withing 75 yards of the roost tree.  They bird flew down right at shooting time and they shot it just as it's feet hit the ground.  They ran into the bearded hen on their way out & decided to shoot it as well.

I like to hunt - but 200+ man hours is a lot of energy to expend!

mudhen-CA

AimHigh

Reaction score
Bullseye,

If the weather is cooperating the scenario goes like this for the first week.  You will hear gobblers just about anywhere you go and they will gobble on the ground for about the first hour.  They will then probably shut up but they'll be around.  By 1000 most of the hunters will give up - hunt 'til 4pm.  Your biggest nemesis will be all the hens and any novice hunter that decides to stalk a bird that you're working.  I will be hunting Daugherty on opening day and if you post your email I'll give you a cell number where you can reach me. Be cool and patient, it will pay off.

B

Bullseye

mudhen & AimHigh
thanks for the input. I won't be there opening day buy I will on the following wed. let me know how things turn out for you on the opener. I will add my email to the profile. that area looks like it could support cats. I have never had the good fortune to see lions in the wild. now that would be a thrill my first turkey and first sighting in the same hunt.

Top Bottom