• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

daughters 2018 gator 10'10"

cjc

Had 5 people (family and friends) that drew gator tags this year. My daughters husband had tags so my daughter got to go and get her first gator. It was 10'10". She was excited. Her second gator was 8'. Have filled 7 tags, 3 over 10'. 3 more to go.

Attachments

OPAH

OK a Gator Gal !! super cool, yes a question on the meat?
Ive hear the jaw meat (Jowels) and the tail are the meat to eat, True?

cjc

Cube all the choice meat and grind the rest. When we have fish/shrimp fry at river I make "gator balls". like a crab cake but with ground gator meat, onions and peppers. Get a kick out of the faces on people when they ask what it is and you tell them its gator balls. Used to sell them to pay for the tags but prices are down so low we have processed all of them this year ourselves. Daughter and her husband probably got 60-70 pounds of meat off the 10 footer.

cjc

the jowels and tail are the prime meat that gets de-fatted and cubed but I get every bit of meat I can off of them and grind, use it like hamburger meat. Do make jerky occasionally

canamrider07

That is great. Do you ride around in a boat and shoot them? Or do you set the lines out like I have seen on the Gator Show?

cjc

in Fl, we cant shoot them and cant set lines. We snag them with a treble hook on a fishing rod and then get a second hook on them. once you get near the boat harpoon to get a bigger line on them then bangstick to kill them.

OPAH

We watch this on TV and the crazy bayoue guys got a hundred or so tags buying and selling them to each other, shotting them and losing them, messing with each others lines, really doe's not portray Gator hunting very well.
happy to hear its not just a bunch of good old boys, tearing up the swaps !
BANG sticks 12 gage? still got to get the Gator beside the boat. One more question to resolve a mith or truth, a gator skull is to thick and the only place to kill them is a quarter size spot on the temple ?
I would Think point blank with a gun, rifle or Bang stick on top of the head would do the job nicely

cjc

We have to have a secured line on them before we can bang stick which is what the harpoon is for. we use a .357 stick. there are other methods besides rod and reel but this is the way we like to do it. some people use crossbows or just harpoon. the kill spot is fairly small, if you hit to the side it doesn't kill them. and they do play possum sometimes.
if you search on youtube for "florida gator hunt 2018" you should find the gopro video of my daughters gator. its about 12 minutes long, he didn't remember the gopro until after he got the second line on it.

Top Bottom