Daughter's first time shooting.

jaehunt

Reaction score
Well, that special day finally came. That day all new daddy's hope for, his daughter's first time shooting. This probably happened a little earlier than I might have thought, but it had to be done. (Rylee is a whole 2.5 years old at this point.)

My wife and I went shooting last Saturday while my daughter stayed with my mom up at our property in Riverside. When we were on our way home my daughter found my wife's earplugs from shooting earlier in the day. She immediately asked what they were for and my wife said they are to protect your ears because the guns are loud. This seemingly innocent comment sparked a 45 minute conversation with my daughter about guns being loud (if you can imagine what a 45 min conversation with a 2.5 year old is like). Well, I actually got a little worried that she might develope some kind of fear of shooting so we decided to taker her out the next day to let her give it a try.

Now my daughter's first Christmas present was a pink chipmunk .22 when she was not quite 2 months old, so she already had the gun for the job. I had some subsonic .22 remington ammo so we took her new gun out for a little "practice."

Obviously she is not old enough or big enough to hold the gun on her own, but with a little help from daddy, and mommy, grandma, and grandpa watching and taking pictures, we had a great time.

Every time she pulled the trigger she would immediately ask for "more." We had a great time, she got to shoot about 10 rounds and would have kept going if we hadn't wanted to do a little shooting ourselves.

Here are a couple of pics.

Drayton

Reaction score

Alright! That's just too cute...a little pink 22 rifle.

Get some targets that are fun to shoot. Anything that spins is good, full cans of soda. Paint is fun but messy. The best we found are cheap cans of shaving cream.

superduty

Reaction score
That's great Jae, I really like the custom benchrest she's using.

Rodney Hood

Reaction score
This seemingly innocent comment sparked a 45 minute conversation with my daughter about guns being loud (if you can imagine what a 45 min conversation with a 2.5 year old is like).

I can in deed. Great job Dad!

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
Man, that is great!...I didn't know there were such tiny cute rifles...time to start saving for when we have kids.

Congratulations!

DanV

Reaction score
Way cute , started my son on his 4th birthday , he's 20 now . Saving that Chipmunk for Grandkids - PINK , thats cute ! Did it come with that color stock or did you paint it ?

jaehunt

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanV @ Apr 10 2008, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Way cute , started my son on his 4th birthday , he's 20 now . Saving that Chipmunk for Grandkids - PINK , thats cute ! Did it come with that color stock or did you paint it ?[/b]
It came that color, that is why my parents couldn't pass it up even though she was only 2 months old.

Thanks for all the looks and comments. I can't wait to get out and do it again with her.

Jason

ps. Here is a pic of Rylee when she got her "present," all two months of her, I can already see that hunters "look" in her eyes.

DanV

Reaction score
Which look is that ? The " Who Me ? " or the " it was this big or that far away " look ?

Ferd Berfull

Reaction score
OMG that is SOOOoo politically incorrect but yet So right for the good of the kid, family and the nation. I work in a building full of social workers. If I'd show those photos to my co-workers here they'd have a cow. I think you're awesome, that's a kid on the right path.

jaehunt

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ferd Berfull @ Apr 10 2008, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OMG that is SOOOoo politically incorrect but yet So right for the good of the kid, family and the nation. I work in a building full of social workers. If I'd show those photos to my co-workers here they'd have a cow. I think you're awesome, that's a kid on the right path.[/b]
I know what you mean. I work around a bunch of social workers myself, they don't seem to "understand" me. In their eyes, all guns are evil for some reason. I do my best to show them the good side of guns and hunting every chance I get.

Jason

cstringer09

Reaction score
kool
my grandpa gave me his WWII 45. when i was born as a gift... very kool gun
then at 3 my dad bought me a marlin pupoose... he says it was a bad mistake becuase it is a semi-auto..wish he would of bought a chimpmunk

NatureDriven

Reaction score
Great job, Bro! I wish Whit and I were out there with you all so we could have seen that. Rylee is not your average 2.5 year old being that she's being raised in our family! I think dad was teaching her about tree bark when she was only 12 months old. LOL I love those pictures. I can't wait till Whit and I have kids so they can grow up hunting together and fishing together. Give Rylee a hug and kiss for us. Maybe we'll see you this weekend. . . .

Drayton

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jaehunt @ Apr 11 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ferd Berfull @ Apr 10 2008, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG that is SOOOoo politically incorrect but yet So right for the good of the kid, family and the nation. I work in a building full of social workers. If I'd show those photos to my co-workers here they'd have a cow. I think you're awesome, that's a kid on the right path.[/b]
I know what you mean. I work around a bunch of social workers myself, they don't seem to "understand" me. In their eyes, all guns are evil for some reason. I do my best to show them the good side of guns and hunting every chance I get.

Jason
[/b][/quote]

Every chance I get, I invite non-shooters to come kill some cans with me. I think it destroys all the BS about guns that has filled their heads over the years in one fine day. Again, when they hit a full can of shaving cream there cured!

Tominator

Reaction score
Awesome
how many times during the "45 minute conversation" did she ask "why?" LOL!

jmabbott888

Reaction score
Only problem is now you better bring a brick of ammo with ya lol, great job & cute kid.

jaehunt

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tominator @ Apr 12 2008, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Awesome
how many times during the "45 minute conversation" did she ask "why?" LOL![/b]

We must have heard "why" and "guns loud?" a hundred times each. She would not change the subject even as we were putting her to bed.

I know we did the right thing now though. Every day she tells me and all our family that she had "fun shooting the pink gun."

jm: I know what you mean, at least .22's are still cheap, until we have to start shooting non-lead rimfires (if they ever figure it out.)

Jason

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom