Daylight Deer

kmitch

Reaction score
In looking at all the deer pictures posted on this forum how many are taken during legal shooting hours. We should do a survey; legal versus after hours.

Keith

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I know most of my deer pix's are taken in the dark but I don't know exactly what per centage but I bet it's 95%.  someday I'll have to check, good question

Dbworld

Reaction score
It's like this.  Previously almost all of my pics (95%) have been night.  Well with my new digital camera I have a beefy slave flash added to it, to compensate for the poor camera flash.  I put it out in the woods for it's first real life test, mostly to see how the flash performed.  Well I come back two days and 46 pics later.  Not one night time pic!!!!!  

All daytime turkeys and deer.  Usually I'd be ecstatic with this....instead I was merely very, very, happy.

Conclusion...if you want night time pics you won't get them and vice versa.

JoelM

Reaction score
Most of my deer pics are at night. After I locate some deer and get some pics. I try to determine the direction they are coming from and keep moving the camera in that direction untill I get some of them in the daylight. I figure this will be my ambush point come bow season.

At least thats the plan : )

Joel

LW

Reaction score
I get mostly daytime pics under feeders when I shut off the afternoon feed, just feed at daylight, they learn quickly to get there before the little critters eat up all the corn.  Otherwise 95% nightime like most folks.

kmitch

Reaction score
LW

We hunt in northwest Louisiana, not very far from the Arkansas border, and have found timer type feeders to be totally ineffective. I've set cameras up on feeders and never have deer pictures. I get lots of raccoon pictures at night. Last season with the warm weather deer didn't even get interested in corn until mid December when it got a little cool. Until then they had plenty of good things to eat and could care less about corn regardless of how it was prepared and served. Have you found timed feeders to be effective?

Keith

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Although my deer are a little "flash" shy, they can here the dinner bell all year round.  I can see my feeder from the bedroom, living room, and dining room.  They show up like clock work in the morning an evening both.  all day long they can be seen randomly if you are watching.  Its all woods and the bucks prefer to work it mostly at night, but I still see them quite a bit in the day too.  My deer are semi domesticated though and I'm not in a lease... yet, so I'm not a good comparison.

hucklburry

Reaction score
As far as a hunting tool goes, the cam can be used for early season bow hunting patterning. Come rut time, everything changes for the bucks and you should see more daytime movement.

To take a survey that would apply during legal shooting hours, the pics should be during legal hunting season, as deer behavior changes that time of year. Otherwise, assuming cams out all year, 3/4 of the pics would not be during the hunting season. For early bow season that would probably be ok, as bow seasons typically start before deer behavior starts to change. To use the cam pics from today to determine what the deer are doing in November is not totally wise is it? The cams will let you know whats out there, but during the rut all bets are off.

Anyway, does that make sense???

--Jim

LW

Reaction score
kmitch, I live in Ashley county, about 30 miles north of Bastrop La. , I have over 300 pics of deer under timed  feeders from this last season. I have used On Time feeders for  about 7 years now. The guy that invented them lives 1 block from my brother in Ruston La. The reason I use them is because of the lifetime warrenty.  I just send the broke ones back to the factory by my brother. On time has a walk-in service dept. he fixes them for free. So to answer your question "Yes" I have good luck around feeders . Although I must say I have "Never"  killed a mature buck at a feeder but always in the vacinity during rut because of the does , I mostly buck hunt scrapes and bedding & feeding trails much like every one else. So why feeders? We are 12 members on 2000 acers of m ostly cut over timber in various stages of regrowth and  hunting  in a high (deer) density area,  Game & Fish  gave us a mandate of 45 does and no more than 15 bucks till we get  the buck to doe ratio back like it should be. To augment our regular 4  tags each   they also give us 20 more camp tags to accomplish this purpose. We must  cull mostly older and  barren does first and leave the young ones to breed so we have a $25 camp fine on young does and $75 fine on yearling bucks which were legal up till last year.  So you can see the importance of making sure of what we shoot.  Especially with yearling bucks.  And the only way to accomplish this is with feeders.This is the conservation part of our hunting   I realize you are learning more about feeders than you might have wanted to.
But you asked, and it has come down to a science with us. The only thing that keeps deer off our feeders is acorns and we don't have much of that left atound here.  I have purposly mixed corn under a white oak tree and had them paw it out of the way to get to the acorns. Nothing we have found will substitute for acorns in the fall.

May I suggest something mixed with your corn might get the deer started  they may not be used to it so any thing with a strong sweet smell will bring them running. There is a product sold by, you guessed it,  Wal-Mart called "Hog Wild" that works well but a bit expensive,  We have used vanilla extract, the "cheap" kind for an attractant. Some use molassas, abit sticky and messy for me though. and about anything else you can imagine.
I can go on and on -  I truly love hunting and  watching deer and a new deer culture has developed around feeders. This camera thing really got me going this year because I can "sit" as many places as I can afford cameras, film and developing fees. And finally I realized in January I could alter behavior somewhat with my corn feeders, I brought totally nocternal bucks out in daylight according to previous pics and got only daytime photos of them as long as I stuck to my early morning only feeding plan.

Its 1:30 am and I am sitting here pumped about deer and corn and Owl PF's, some may say "get a life" I have one thank you! and wouldn't trade it for anything. Just ask my wife! Email me if you have any questions about hunting clear cuts, or how to set up feeders and cam units over them I have a method that eliminate the little critters that waste film and    
check out my link at webshots,  that's not even a third of my deer pics.  I didn't even get to sweet potatoes something our northern friends know nothing about!

Use woodsfam@ipa.net for email. I probably scared the crap out of you, I do have fr
iends and we do talk ocasionally and I even like girls  but nothing turns me on like deer
hunting..... sad to say,  sometimes not even girls ;-).

(Edited by LW at 4:02 am on May 17, 2002)

woodsman

Reaction score
Got new pics today from walmart  most of the roll are of deer in the daytime.

How is this one kmitch ?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom